MBB vs Colorado today at 12:30

Viewing 4 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

It’s senior night. Well, senior noon. Looks like we have one senior, Marc Reninger. See you up there.

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

I’ll be there – along with an old friend; great guy, now retired, who was my first boss.  I’ve known him for decades, but don’t get to catch up often.  We always make a Ute game or two, but this year, it’s taken all the way to the last game.

He’s a big basketball fan, and is very familiar with the great history and tradition of the Ute BB program.  He was on the freshman team, at Texas Western, in 1966, the year they beat Kentucky in the NCAA final (the Glory Road year).  

That year, Texas Western (now UTEP) had to get past Utah (85-78) in a final four matchup to setup the historic match with Kentucky.  For decades afterward, including many years in the old WAC, there are great matchups between Utah and the Don Haskins led UTEP.  Rick Majerus struck up a friendship with Haskins, traveling to El Paso to be with Haskins as he recovered from a heart attack.  He admired Haskins as a coach and a man, and commented that he reminded Majerus of his own father. 

This has been a difficult year as many have commented here, but this team deserves our support, particularly on senior night (afternoon?).

Whatever happens in the next year or two with the program, I’ll be there honoring this team and the Ute tradition this afternoon.

Go UTES!  Stampede the Buffalos!

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Great story.  I remember when Big Rick took Huntsman’s plane to visit Haskins. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Plummer with the start — finally.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

How can you travel when you are dribbling?

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Utes win in OT!!   Amazing this team can play with anyone — at home.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) MBB vs Colorado today at 12:30