Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Most frustrating football seasons

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Most frustrating football seasons

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

I have lived through two 1-10 seasons in the 1970s, but they weren’t the most frustrating seasons for me because expectations were low. Here are my most frustrating seasons in chronological order:

1973 – There were high expectations for the Utah football team that year and they upset 8th ranked ASU. But, we blew it in the end and finished with a 7-5 season that led to Bill Meek leaving.

1986 – The 1985 Utes won 8 games under new head coach Jim Fassel, and the offense was exciting. I had high expectations for the 1986 season, but we fell flat and ended up 2-9 and last place in the WAC.

2002 – This was coach Mac’s last season. We had the talent (see 2003 and 2004). We blew so many opportunities and lost many close games that season.

2010 – We won our first eight games and were ranked in the top ten – when we were embarrassed in back-to-back weeks by TCU and Notre Dame.

2019 – We had a great season going when we played as the favorite in the PAC 12 championship game. A win, and we go to the CFP. But, we tanked. I am frustrated to this day with what happened that evening. We didn’t look like the team we had been all of that season. (Overall, the season was very fun and exciting, but the end – the Oregon and Texas games were painful.)

2023 – Expectations were moderately high, and then injury after injury occurred. None of the backup QBs could make the offense move. At times – we were pathetic; i.e., Oregon, Arizona, and OSU. I can easily write the 2023 season off because of the unusual circumstances, but it was a painful season to watch.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

The 2019 season is, for me, the most disappointing. We somehow lost to an USC team playing its 3rd string QB and whose offense was relegated to throwing jump balls to Michael Pittman. That, however, was topped by losing to an Oregon team in the CCG that had absolutely nothing to play for. They win, they go to the Rose Bowl. They lose, they go to the Rose Bowl. What made it worse was that Utah, after being down 23-0 at HT, had made it a one score game midway through the 4th Quarter and were driving before they ran out of gas.

UTEopia
      Participant

2016 – Utes finish 9-4. Lost on road to Cal when they had 4 shots inside the 5 and Zach Moss failed to follow Isaac Asiata into the hole. Moss would still be running had he hit the hole. Utes lost to Oregon after scoring go ahead score, Oregon takes the ball downfield with less then 1 minute and Carrington makes amazing TD catch. Utes lose at home to UW on a UW punt return where numerous blocks in the back went uncalled. Utes lose by 5 at eventual PAC South winner CU.

Yergensen
        Participant

Didn’t on last play of game Troy Williams miss Carrington wide open in back of end zone to beat SC that year?

2008 National Champ
          Participant

Carrington was 2017. I think you are describing the missed 2 pt conversion at SC which would have presumably won the game. Utah beat SC in 2016.

The one thing no one ever brings up is that Matt Gay missed a chip shot in the 1st half that would also have provided the winning margin, assuming that everything else had stayed the same.

UteThunder
      Participant

2020 – Need I say more?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.