My future dream-team coaching staff

Viewing 8 reply threads
      2 7

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Whitt once said that he did not want to coach past age 62. He has passed that now. I think that after 20 years (this season) he may choose to retire – especially if we win the Big 12 and play in the CFP. I am happy to have Whitt stay as long as he wants. But, I believe his time here at Utah is getting close to ending. This got me thinking about a future coaching staff. Below is my dream team. I know it won’t happen, but it’s fun for this old guy to dream.

Head Coach – Morgan Scalley
      Defensive Coordinator – Eric Weddle
      Offensive Coordinator – Alex Smith
      QB coach – Mike McCoy
      Receiver Coach – Steve Smith
      Linebacker coach – Chase Hansen
      The rest of the coaches would remain the same, except I would find someone new to lead the special teams. Maybe Morgan could do that. We were better at special teams when he was the ST coach.

I know some of these guys do not have much coaching experience. But, they are intense, strong leaders and very intelligent.

Again, it won’t happen, except I do expect Morgan Scalley to be our next head coach.

3 1

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

Coaching staff needs diversity, including coordinator positions.
      Also, especially at Utah where we coach 3*s up extraordinary X’s and O’s chops.

Utah will never compete at the top NIL levels.

J Rocksville
      Ute Fan
      @jrocksville

I realize this is all anecdotal, but are all of those guys even coaching?

I get the sentiment to bring back star players as staff, but being good at football doesn’t necessarily make you good at teaching football or recruiting.

I’d actually be surprised if Covey doesn’t hang them up in a year or two and come back to coach. That dude just seems like he was engineered to be a football coach at some point, and at some point he’d make more as a coach than as a dedicated return guy. Maybe the new return format will make him more valuable…

3 1

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

Exactly. Just because you were a great player does not translate to being a great coach. There are TONS of examples in almost every profession. I think Steve Smith would be an absolute disaster as a coach. His temper alone is a red flag. I don’t think Alex would be up for the near 24-7 commitment that a coach needs to agree to these days. Mike McCoy is a good coach and would be great but he is an NFL guy. I do believe Morgan will be a very good head coach because he has been a great assistant and is an excellent recruiter. Weddle, maybe but I’d like to see how he does at the high school level first.

belli1976
          Ute Fan
          @belli1976

But but Neon Deion is a great coach. 🙄🙄

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I completely agree on Covey. When he hangs it up, we need to get him on staff. He wants to be a coach. Nop better place than here with us.

Uteanooga
      Ute Fan
      @uteanooga

Dream DC is Pappa Shah. Sharrieff is a star. He is also a loyal Utah man. Look no further.

Obviously Eric Weddle may be our GOAT and we would love to have him as a graduate assistant. 🙂

Rick Walker
      Ute Fan
      @big2890

Britain Covey anyone???👀

Sanders
      Ute Fan
      @sanders

Well that’s an easy one… I’ll take Urban Meyer as HC, Kyle Whittingham as DC and anyone else they want.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Current urban has lost his OCD edge. The same reason he was good (at Utah, Florida, Ohio St.) was also what made him have health issues – he wants to control everything (which turns out good for team success). I think with some mellowing, and all this NIL mess, he wants no part in coaching – makes plenty from FOX with less stress.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

The OP’s premise is that Whittingham will retire. Why would he come back as the DC?

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Head Coach – Chris Petersen – duh.
      DC – Scalley – duh
      CB – Shah – duh
      S – Scalley – duh
      LB – Swan – He’s the best LB coach we’ve ever had. We haven’t had this much talent…ever
      DL – Someone who can recruit his ass off
      DE – See DL coach.

OC – Dan Mullin
      QB – Brian Johnson – great QB coach. Terrible OC
      RB – Kiel McDonald – He had Moss’s best year, recruited Ty Jordan, Thomas, Pledger, Jackson, Bernard. No one has been better
      TE – Whitt – he’s been great.
      WR – Who cares, outside of Dan Mullen, we have sucked. Anyone who can recruit, I guess.
      OL – Harding. He’s doing fine. The only other OL coach I’d want would be the guy who was here with Norm Chow…the mass moves ass guy. But if we do that, then we open up to retired coaches, which means that gets easy:

HC – Urban
      DC – Whitt
      OC – Chow
      QB – BJ
      WR – Mullens
      OL – Ass moves guy
      TE – Whitt
      S – Scalley
      CB – Shah
      LB – Swan
      DL – Coach McBride

ST – Jay Hill

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

Mullen was never WR coach at Utah. It was Billy Gonzalez.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

There you go. Gonzalez to WR coach.

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

1. HC Petersen 81% winning record all while having to baby sit a bunch of rich spoiled brats.
      2. DC Morgan S.
      3. QBs BJ, OR ALEX SMITH

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My future dream-team coaching staff