Next week against ASU

Viewing 2 reply threads

uteman12
      Ute Fan
      @uteman12

Based off of what we saw today, what do we see from the Utes next week in RES?

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Same as what we saw this week except against a much worse team. Still, ASU has a decent defense and good athletes on both sides of the ball. They had Washington on the ropes in Seattle and, without some disastrous refereeing, would have probably won that game. The way the Utes are playing right know, they can’t afford to sleep on anyone. They really have little to no margin for error.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

ASU has a good D Line so Utah will struggle on O. But they have a much worse offense. 24-12 Utah and everyone who watches the game will want to know why they are watching 1970’s vintage offensive playcalling in 2023.

2 3

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

ASU’s offense has woken up tonight versus Wazzu. If Utah plays like they did today, they won’t win another game this season.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

People say that every year after Utah loses a game and it’s never true. I keep hoping Ludwig will recognize that he doesn’t have the players to run his preferred two TE offense and dig into that playbook of his that’s supposed to have over 1,000 plays.

When your line is getting beat, do them a favor and call some hot reads or screens. I can’t remember the last time they set up a screen to the back. Jackson was supposed to have improved his pass-catching this year and Glover has made a couple of nice catches. Instead, they are running routes with them like they are Bernard instead of Moss who made D’s pay for getting overaggressive.

A game like today exaggerates the weaknesses but there aren’t many teams that can do what Oregon did. UCLA and Oregon State had to commit #’s and Utah either wouldn’t, or couldn’t, make them pay for it. ASU and Colorado won’t be able to do that. UW is vulnerable on the edges and at LB. And you can run on Arizona.

Arizona is probably the biggest matchup problem because they will sit back and force Utah to try to beat them underneath. And since Utah will not try to beat them deep, they’ll just keep creeping up until even the underneath routes get taken away. If Utah can’t establish the run and keep them off balance, the D is going to have to win that one.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Do you think Barnes (or lack of talent and ability to execute at the QB position) is the reason why they can’t diversify the play-calling? I’m surprised that an undersized true freshman like Fifita can looks so much better than any Utah QB not named Rising.

RustyShackleford
              Ute Fan
              @shakyute13

Barnes holds onto the ball for wayyyyyy too long. Several time he could have stepped up into the pocket but decided to roll out right into the D end.

1 1

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

He holds the ball too long, he’s not exceedingly accurate, has a hard time reading defenses, sometimes goes to the wrong receiver, etc…textbook back-up who would probably look better if defenses weren’t preparing fo him on a weekly basis.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Fifita is a red-shirt freshman.

There are a lot of reasons why Utah doesn’t have a good passing game. Part of it is Barnes/Johnson, part of it is line play, part of it is play-calling, part of it is the receivers. How much you want to assign to each is up to each viewer’s discretion.

Right now, Utah just is not good at offense. Yes, there have been injuries. But it also just feels like the current personnel doesn’t fit the scheme. Kuithe being gone shouldn’t decimate the TE room because he really wasn’t playing TE anyway. Where’s your blocking TE? It’s not King, even though he’s trying. Miki’s trying. Yassmin tried but just didn’t seem to be getting it. The freshman hasn’t seen the field as far as I know. So now you’ve got what should be the focal point of the Ludwig offense providing nothing in the passing game and not really being effective in the run game. Now you’re playing 9 on 11.

The O Line is probably the biggest disappointment this year. At least one of them seems to get beat on every play, which really isn’t out of the norm. But it’s the one that gets beat that seems to be the highest leverage. I remember a play where the line blocked down and to the left with Bills pulling. Bills is supposed to be the best run blocker and was in perfect position to lead. Instead the back got blown up by two guys with Bills blocking no one. The play was blocked downfield and to the backside. Our backs can make one miss but not two or more.

There are also too many free runs at the QB on passing plays and it is being done with 3 or 4 man rushes. God forbid they decide to blitz. You can’t run 7 step routes if you can’t keep guys off your QB. And if you are forced to play max protect while the D is dropping 6 to 8 guys, there aren’t going to be routes open unless someone falls down.

The receivers have been so underused over the years that they just aren’t receivers any more. By that I mean, the first thing you are taught as a receiver is when to look for the ball. And if it’s not there, move with the QB, find some open space and give the QB a good target. We’ve got receivers that seem to have velcro on their uni’s because they are permanently attached to their defender. Caleb Williams is able to move around and keep his eyes downfield because his receivers are always trying to find open space. Utah receivers, if they aren’t open immediately rarely get themselves open. They just keep running their initial route and don’t give the QB anything to work with.

And then you’ve got the usual mediocre at best QB at Utah performance. Rising and one year of Huntley have made some things happen. I’m not sure either of them at their peak could add 20 ppg to this offense, this year. There are just too many breakdowns everywhere. When guys are open, the QB is running for his life. When the QB has time, he’s got two receivers running routes against 5 defenders. And can we stop running the effing flea flicker every game? It fooled SC two fricking years ago and hasn’t worked since. Just spike the damn ball and go to 2nd and 10.

The problems are systemic at this point and I’m not the guy getting paid to fix them. Barnes/Johnson get the blame but that goes with the position. They’ve made their share of mistakes but it really feels like Utah has run out of ideas. I wanted them to spend the bye week figuring out what they did well and lean into that. Instead, they came up with Vaki who has had his Khalil Tate moment. And just like Tate, now that the other teams know what he can do, they will all scheme to stop it. Some won’t be able to and will look like CAL or SC’s defense and we’ll all congratulate ourselves that the staff was able to get things back on track. Until we see a game like today and we all say, “well, I guess it wasn’t fixed after all”.

1 2

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

At this point, it sounds like nothing will change until we have a new regime in charge. At least teams like USC are still entertaining when they lose. When Utah loses, they’re almost unbearable to watch.

Utesbyfive
                  Ute Fan
                  @utesbyfive

Fire Whitt, amirite?

1 1

2008 National Champ
                    Ute Fan
                    @cptmrgn05

I’m pretty sure that you are joking, but, I don’t think he’s calling for Whitt to be fired. We’ve seen Whitt coached teams for 19 years now and we know what we are going to get. An attacking defense and a risk averse offense. That’s not going to change as long as Whitt is the Head Coach. Recognizing that is not the same thing as “Fire Whitt”

Miami, myself, Eagle and many others are quite capable of telling everyone when we think it’s time for Whitt to move on. Yet the only people who bring it up are the one’s who want our opinions to be wrong.

The Miami Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @themiamiute

You clowning again Randy? Of all the dumb takes I’ve read from you, this is Mount Everest. Why in the world would anyone want to fire the winningest coach in Utah history? You must be a BYU fan in Utah clothing, amirite? Why don’t you move on to CB so that you can be among your brethren. I’m sure they’re all about firing Whitt and putting spokes in Utah’s wheels.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Next week against ASU