On the eve of the CCG…

Viewing 4 reply threads

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Now a lot still has to happen- first and foremost we need to beat Oregon tomorrow. But in light of Tim’s F’s comments that went viral – I believe if Utah is somehow picked to be the 4th team we would be the first non-trafiditional power to make the CFP, right? How freaking awesome – just like the BCS days.

And yes, we don’t have a national following, and we aren’t a traditional power…but nationally people have been talking about us a ton for weeks. Listened to Dan Patrick talk Utah football on the drive to work this morning.

What a tremendous season and what a time to be a Utah fan. Just too much fun, just need to finish strong. 

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Honest question.  How big was Clemson’s following before 2015?  Likely bigger than Utah’s, but FSU was the powerhouse in that conference for quite a while wasn’t it?  Louisville and Miami are big household names.  Anyone have any insight on that?

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Clemson’s record over the past 8-10 years tells the story. No disrespect to our Utes, outside of the 2004 and 2008 season and this year, Utah has not been nearly visible with success from the national perspective as Clemson. Utah will need 4 more consecutive seasons like this year to move into the elite level. Falling back to a mid-level P12 for the next 3-4 years is not going to help Utah’s  national respect. Program can’t be a one hit wonder every 4-6 years. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Clemson has been damn good since the conference movement. I mean this with utmost disrespect but they are in basketball conference. Not saying the Utes or any other team in the P12 would do better. Just my opinion. 

DrJazzy
        Ute Fan
        @docute

Clemson’s stadium seats 85,000k. They have always been considered a bit-time program.

UteBrook
        Ute Fan
        @utebrook

Clemson won the title in 1981. They have 3 titles and one runner up. 756 wins. They may not be Bama but not far off.

Swoop Doggy Dogg
        Ute Fan
        @swoopdoggydogg

Clemson’s all time records. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/clemson/index.html
        Won the national championship in ’81. Had some back to back 10-win seasons in the 80’s. And then consistently inconsistent until the last 7-8 years.

Miami has five national championships mostly in the 80’s and early 90’s. Private school that costs nearly $50,000 a year to attend. Only kids on scholarship or with rich parents attend. I know this because when I was a young lad looking to attend college, I wanted to go to Miami. Didn’t know it was a private school. Had a three minute meeting with folks in the admission office that explained the situation.

Louisville was in Conference USA the same year Utah busted the BCS in 2004. They were flirting with busting the BCS that same year, but lost to #3 ranked Miami. And the rest is history. Miami and Virginia Tech had left left the Big East to the ACC and it was thought to be super conference with Miami and Florida State fighting for rights to the Orange Bowl each year. That is when the Big East took Louisville from C-USA. They ended up in ACC in 2014. Not nearly the pedigree of Florida State or Miami. They are a basketball school with two championships in the ’80’s.

1 9

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

What kind of dumb ass thumbs downs a post like this?

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

The same kind as that of Cougar Board — just wearing red goggles in lieu of blue.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Michigan State, maybe? Let’s hope we have a better fate.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

This is the best comparison.

Sparty (football) recruits very similar to Utah but has lost its way.  It’s hard to believe this program was once on the rise, nationally.

Unless they turn it around quickly MSU glory days will look like a blip in history. Dantonio was able to make it work with 3 star chip on the shoulder guys but he seems to have lost his fire.  

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Well, I’d argue that Oregon, Clemson, and Michigan State were all not historical or national powers when they made it on the first time. In fact I’d throw Georgia and maybe Washington in there too. That being said, Utah would be the most out of left field.

DrJazzy
        Ute Fan
        @docute

All those programs are bigger programs than us – in terms of fanbase and national support. This would be more like if Baylor made it this year. TCU almost made it one year.

DrJazzy
        Ute Fan
        @docute

Washington has a legit NC right? Lol there’s no arguing with them. Pretty big national following – check their TV numbers.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football On the eve of the CCG…