One single play that changed the trajectory of the program

Viewing 9 reply threads

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

Slow off season topics so let’s start a new off thread: What was the Ute player that had the most critical single play to help the success of the football program? My starting suggestion is highly unusual. It’s actually RJ Rice for saving Brent Casteel’s muffed punt in the first possession of the 2009 Sugar Bowl. Without his quick reflexes as a role player on special teams, I’d bet ‘Bama would have steamrolled us. What are other players that come to mind?

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I don’t know about a single play, but the game that changed Utah football was the total beatdown the Utes received at the hands of a terrible UNLV team.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Yergensen’s 50+ yard FG in 1993 to beat BYU 34-31 in Provo. It turned the tide on the rivalry, which was one-sided for 20 years. It started Utah’s evolution into a football school and the program it is today.

TDS trajectory peaked in 1996 and has fallen over the same time as Utah’s rise. It’s foundational to be the alpha in your own state.

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

Oregon State and TCU in 2008 were crazy.

stbone
      Ute Fan
      @stbone

Harold Lusk’s 100 yard interception return for a touchdown against CSU in 1994 to win the game.

6 1

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I’m not going to go with a single play but rather with a single hire. The hiring of Urban Meyer changed everything for Utah Football…it opened the eyes to a huge population of Utah fans of what Utah Football could really be. Yes, Ron McBride turned the tide, however, most Utah fans were still stuck in the mindset of believing Utah was a “basketball school”. That all changed in a blink of an eye when Urban Meyer came to town for 2 short years.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Along those lines, I would say the one play that changed the trajectory of the program was Marty Johnson destroying his knee trying to get a meaningless record in a blowout of Indiana back in 2002.

Utah started the year 2-0 with wins over Utah State and Indiana. Without Johnson, we went on to lose 6 in a row with 5 of the 6 losses being one score games. Had Johnson stayed healthy, Utah probably wins 3 or 4 of those games and McBride isn’t fired, we never hire Urban Meyer, and the program trudges along as average to good for 10 more years under McBride. No 2004 perfect season. Whittingham takes the BYU job. No 2008 perfect season. Pac-10 invite probably doesn’t happen. No BigXII.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

This ^^ is the correct answer to this thread! Spot on!

CoyoteUte
            Ute Fan
            @coyoteute

Marty Johnson is one of my all time favorites. He gave me his undershirt after the Fiesta bowl, and I still have it to this day.

BJA 13
            Ute Fan
            @bja13

Burning A year of Alex Smith’s eligibility that season didn’t sit well with the donors either.

UTEopia
            Ute Fan
            @uteopia

It wasn’t just the injury, but it occurred in the 4th quarter with the Utes up by 17+ points.

The next week Utah lost at Arizona by 6. Utah appeared to have scored a leading touchdown late in the game when the WR caught a ball at back of end zone. Before days of replay, the receiver was called out of bounds. Television replay showed him in bounds. It was subsequently revealed that the back judge who made the call was an Arizona alum and member of their booster club.
            A week later, the Utes lost 10-7 at 14th ranked Michigan.

Next came the Air Force game when the Utes gave up 24 unanswered second half points with 6 turnovers and a blocked punt.

After a loss to CSU, Utah lost to UNM in triple OT after missing a game winning FG at the end of regulation.

A lot of bad luck that year including burning
            Alex Smiths redshirt at SDSU and a tussle between offensive and defensive coaches on the flight back to SLC from San Diego.

Mac started a revival and Meyer took it to the next level. Both are important in the history of Utah football.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I’m going to go with what I think was the 1990 game against Minnesota. They drove down the field running the clock out. I believe the score was tied (or we were down 1) and they were setting up for a last second FG. Kick was blocked and one of the DBs ran it back for the walk off TD.

To me, that was when the players started to believe McBride could lead them to victories.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

The wheel route for a TD against Texas A&M in 2003. That was the moment I realized something had changed.

oc_ute
      Ute Fan
      @ocute

i don’t remember the exact year or the ute player. i’m guessing it was mid to late 80’s. the game was at the U, i believe sean covey was the byu qb. byu was heading south at about their 40 yard line. covey rolled out to the right and our linebacker absolutely squashed him chest high. perhaps the best lick i have ever seen. i’m sure someone will remember who the linebacker was. edit. that was a little before the turn of the tables for the utes but that body slam was incredible.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

That was the 1988 Rice Bowl to break the 9 game loss streak. Sean Knox recovered but I can’t remember who had the hit.

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

when Covey faked a return punt at Autzen stadium in the midst of our surprise blowout of Oregon… We went on to embarrass a highly rated Oregon team in their house. That play was key to creating that sense of total Oregon humiliation. That one play helped signal to the conference and the country that we are in the top tier of the Pac-12. Remeber our AP rating went into the top 5 right after that.

McBride of Frankenstein
        Ute Fan
        @mcbrideoffrankenstein

CoyoteUte
        Ute Fan
        @coyoteute

I was sitting in the endzone on that play. It was the weirdest thing to watch everyone run away from the ball except Boobie and like 1-2 blockers 😂

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

I think there was a band in the ‘70’s called Boobie and the Blockers…but I may be mistaken 😀

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Even faked out the cameras on that one.

GibUtes
      Ute Fan
      @gibutes

Urban’s explanation of the RPO
      Youtube link

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football One single play that changed the trajectory of the program