OnlyU, would love to hear your thoughts if you’re up for it. Thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

We have had losses before, but something was amiss yesterday. We got outplayed and out-coached. The lack of energy was palpable. Team seem rattled by the crowd. Maybe BYU was the better team, but that’s beside the point. We regularly play more talented teams, and we’ve played in front of hostile crowds before, but never have we appeared so unprepared and uninspired. So what happened yesterday? This is just me contemplating, but any insights are much appreciated.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Man where do you even start…no turnovers, no sacks, lost two fumbles (Thomas) on our side which leads to the defense being on the field longer than they should and wears them out later in the game and gives them hope. Can’t get off the field in 3rd and long (and 4th and 11!!!!!) and the QB beats us with his legs multiple times. He’s an average thrower but we don’t generate much pressure and he gets comfortable/confident. That’s not close to who we are.

2nd and 4 run for a 1st down inside the 5 and gets called back on a holding call and then we don’t take the points and get stuffed on 4th and 2 up the gut against a team that is notorious for run blitzes. Just a bad call by Lud…Turns into a long drive, a broken coverage with three guys going to the underneath receiver and a TD headed into the locker room.

As bad as we were and as clean as they were we still get it to 6 BUT can’t get off the field as they burn the clock as we again lose containment and don’t create much disruption.

Been a long time since we’ve been able to complain about the game plan in this game…we were a little out of sink on offense but there were plays to be made and we were not able to execute consistently. Really don’t like or agree with the no pressure mentality Scalley had most of the night especially in that environment. It allowed them to stay confident all night. O-line wasn’t connected and let guys run free multiple times.

We knew going in you had to contain Hall on the edges and we failed multiple times. The back half missed assignments and weren’t in position to contest many throws.

Flat, uninspired, mistake filled football. Disappointed in the leadership from the top down…players and coaches. Weren’t prepared like we should have been and I have no idea why.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Do you think if Lloyd was assigned to only spy Hall on 60% – 70% of the plays, could the rest of the defense stop the rest of the Y?

Can Brewer change the play, does he have a way to do so in a loud environment, does he get the play in time to make a change?

Are we ready to attack a loaded box?

Dreams of sugar plumbs should be gone, can we get into the place where we expect to fight it out each week?

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Sewell should have been the spy. I was wondering why that never happened.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

Either, on the way in I told my boy, set the edge and keep Hall in the pocket and the Y will not get the extra time they need for their pass game to work. Same for the RB. Outside in and a spy would frustrate them.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

This is where the Tafua criticism should begin in my opinion. He has always been beyond bad at keeping containment. He’s so bad at rushing the passer that he tries way to hard to get sacks and completely forgets not to give up the edge. He is the worst defensive end starter we’ve had in a very very long time 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football OnlyU, would love to hear your thoughts if you’re up for it. Thanks.