Our next opponent

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

On paper, CU is the worst team in the conference statistically.  They are 11th on defense – giving up 418 yards per game and they are dead-last of offense only getting 267 yards per game.  Yet, somehow they have won three conference games including a victory over Oregon State.  

They appear to be amazingly lucky at times.  On Saturday they beat Washington even though UW ran all over them.  UW had over 400 yards on offense and CU less than 200 yards.  Four big turnovers made the difference including a 95-yard scoop and score.  The color guy kept saying that he had never seen anything like this.

Utah averages 433 yards total offense and gives up 342 yards a game on defense.  So, on paper, we should destroy these guys.  However, we saw what happens when you have four turnovers like UW did.  We also saw how CU upset a much better OSU team.  Also, they only lost to TAMU by three points. (Same team that beat Alabama.)

If we come in unprepared and play as we did against Arizona, this may be an ugly game.  It will be hard for the players to get up for CU after a huge win last weekend and the biggest game of the year coming up six days later.  (One good thing is that we don’t know who we will be playing in Vegas, so no thinking ahead of the team we will be playing.)

We should dominate the line of scrimmage against CU.  But, we will again be playing a team with nothing to lose.  They may play like Arizona and pull out every trick play they have.

Go Utes!!!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I remember playing them in this same scenario a couple of years ago. They were not bowl eligible. They were completely checked out. Didn’t want to be there at all. 

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I remember when John Hays was our QB and if we won at home to Colorado we would be in the PAC 12 championship game and Colorado came in and smacked us. I’m glad that’s not in play for them to come in and try to ruin our season like what they did back then. 

snafu
          Ute Fan
          @snafu

I don’t see us losing to CU this year. I also don’t think we can be too bitter about that loss since a win would have given us the right to be destroyed by Oregon. 

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Ute victory over UO was physically and mentally huge for the Utes. Playing at home sending the seniors/juniors off is more than enough to keep the team motivated. No way this team is letting those guys down. The RES is so much louder with the closed in SEZ and 6K+ more fans. Hope the CU game is not close at half time. Would love to see Jackson get reps. Pledger and Curry are more than capable of carrying the load to give TT and MB some rest. Pledger is getting better every game and would be the starter on or in the rotation on all the other P12 teams.

Utes playing on Friday with the South locked up gives them an extra day of rest. All the pressure is on UO and OS. Of all the teams to play needing to win a the North, OS would be my last choice. OS plays mean and that game is going to take its toll on both teams who will have turn around and play again in five days. At this point in the season every extra time to rest/recover is huge. UO is banged up and now have to lay it all out there to get a win having played two of the most physical teams in the conference back to back. Also, against the two best coaches in the P12.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I’m just glad we have the South wrapped up before playing them. Not that I think they’ll beat us, but it’ll be nice to not have the stress of a must win game. And they’ve beat us before when we were the better team.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

I’d be slightly concerned if this game was in Boulder.  Unfortunately for CU, Utah plays too good at home. I think Utah rolls, a la CU in 2019.

If the unlikely scenario unfolds, and CU beats us. We’re still going to the title game. I want to win, of course. I want our ranking to continue to climb. Imagine being conference Champs with a top 10 ranking and en route to Utah’s first Rose Bowl to play against another top 10 B1G opponent?

Life is good, y’all.

What a season! I love this team.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

The Colorado game and the P12 Championship game are both on a Friday; so, they will have seven days between games (not six).

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

In addition, if Utah plays Oregon or Oregon State in Vegas, they will only have 6 days of rest, instead of 7. Bodes well for the Utes, especially at the end of the season.

loyter
      Ute Fan
      @loyter

The Colorad9 game will be, as Bill Walton would say, “a celebration of life.”

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Our next opponent