PAC 12, B1G, ACC forming an alliance?

Viewing 6 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Just saw this…sounds interesting. At the very least I like that the other commissioners are proactively talking and hopefully looking to keep the SEC/ESPN from ruining CFB as we know it.
      PAC 12, B1G, ACC talking about forming an alliance

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Poor Big XII. Poor Utah’s in-state rival. This is not good news for everyone. Something had to happen or it was going to be the SEC and everyone else (it might already be).

Gary Sapp
        Ute Fan
        @uofuman

Cougs are gonne continue to be on the outside looking in for a long time. This kind of alliance is just going to make that even more true.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

It sounds like this is the most likely option at this point. Depending on what it means, it could be an absolute coup for Utah. I really can’t imagine a better outcome for Utah than some kind of super-duper conference that includes the B1G and ACC.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I thought a Pac 12, B1G alliance was enough to counter the SEC. There is no question if you add the ACC this alliance is greater than the SEC. Need to also pull in ND. The alliance also keeps college football together as it relates to most the P5. I would next love to see a standard 9 game conference season with two alliance games scheduled by the group. That would leave either 1 G5 game or a third alliance game. When the playoff questions develop the next question is who did you play? Could you imagine the alliance TV deal? Do half to Fox and half to CBS and there you go, parity with the SEC.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Agree with ND but I don’t see them budging. On the bright side, they play half of their games against the ACC plus two more against the PAC 12.

FountainofUte
        Ute Fan
        @fountainofute

I’d love to see a scenario where (from Utah’s perspective) we play one home game vs B1G/ACC and one road game vs B1G/ACC every season. It could alternate (e.g. vs Michigan/@Virginia Tech in ’22, then vs VT/@Michigan in ’23), or you just move on from year to year to new teams (e.g. vs Michigan/@Virginia Tech in ’22, then vs Syracuse/@Iowa in ’23).

That would be absolutely ballin’ for our schedules. I don’t know what that would mean for games already inked. It could take 10-15 year to actually get something like this going. In the meantime the conferences would just have to ramp up and start out with some marquee matchups here and there where schedules allow.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

This is awesome. It shows that not everyone is thrilled about the SEC consolidating power. I hope it happens.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Needs to happen. Disney doing college ball dirty.

Ute_tastic
      Ute Fan
      @ctbo139pk

Sounds like this alliance has less to do with creating a super conference and more to do with how the playoff expansion is structured. With a 3 conference alliance they create a voting block that can alienate the SEC.

Say they expand to a 12 game playoff format with 6 conference champions with auto bids. In some years the SEC could make the case to grab up 3 to 4 of the at large bids with most of them opening up with a home game and vastly improving the odds of an SEC national champ.

This alliance would have the power to structured an expanded playoff from the number of teams that qualify, where the games are played, and to a cap on the number of qualifying teams from each conference. The alliance will also encourage the SEC to cooperate.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 PAC 12, B1G, ACC forming an alliance?