PAC to Amazon

Viewing 1 reply thread

PAC12Teams
      Ute Fan
      @utahbb

Amazon gets Pac-12 rights

ESPN will be prepared to split the Pac-12’s media rights with Amazon, but will not offer the conference significantly more than it pays for the Big 12. That will lead the Pac-12 to sell almost its entire media package to Amazon for a price that is slightly higher than what the Big 12 gets from ESPN and Fox. The Pac-12 will carve out a handful of prime-time football games that it then will sell to CBS.

Most likely is the PAC 12 network & then some.  

Sport Business Journal 

PAC12Teams
      Ute Fan
      @utahbb

Really just a prediction, just trying to change thoughts on our basketball team’s failure to show up.  1-10 in our latest few against that team.  

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

We know ESPN needs our inventory.  We know they won’t pay more than what Big12 is getting.  We know that other players could be interested (not FOX).  That’s all that really matters.

A bidding war will hopefully take us over what the Big12 is getting.  

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

Anyone who isn’t a delusional BYU/Big12 honk has said for months the media deals between the Pac12 and Big12 would be very similar. The only difference is that the Pac12 will lean a little more on streaming for Tier 1 games. My guess is the biggest matchups (ranked vs ranked) will be split between linear (ESPN, CBS, etc.) and Amazon Prime. I don’t see how this is a bad thing. Amazon Prime isn’t ESPN+. It’s distribution and availability is massive and it’s only going to get bigger as they keep pushing into live sports.

Some like to point out Pac12 streaming games would not receive much viewership because “casual viewers just channel surf until they find a game to watch”. This is so hilarious to me. Very few people, outside of 70+ year old technologically impaired boomers, watch CFB this way anymore. The vast majority of people look at the schedule, decide which game(s) to watch, and then go to that channel or app.

“But, it takes so long to switch between apps!!!”. This one is also hilarious to me. I can literally switch between apps on my $30 Roku in less than 10 seconds. This isn’t 2007 anymore. 

The Pac12 had terrible exposure with the Pac12 Network. Transitioning to Amazon Prime is a massive increase in distribution for many games. There were FAR too many great games on the P12N (even ranked teams!) over the years to have such poor distribution. Glad it’s going to change. 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I was reading Amazon will take place of the PAC 12N. So that’s tier 3. Did I read wrong?

UteFanatic
              Ute Fan
              @utefanatic

Everything is just speculation right now. All we know is Amazon and Pac have mutual interest, but the degree to which is unknown. 

Amazon will almost certainly take over the Pac12N. But I doubt they are only interested in Tier 3 content. They’ll want some higher profile matchups if they are going to invest. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football PAC to Amazon