Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Player Development U

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Player Development U

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Warrior Ute
      Participant

I was reading a thread from earlier in the day.  It included a tweet from pick six previews about the number of 4 and 5 star recruits on each of the top 10 teams.  Dexter36 pulled data on how many NFL players were in the NFL from each time.  I thought it would be interesting how many NFL players per blue chip recruit from each team.  I copied the tweet, added the NFL players and did the math.  It is pretty amazing.  We do 375% better than Oregon in this regard.

Ohio State – 52/ (60) =  0.867

LSU – 42 / (51)  = 0.823

Alabama – 62 / (69) = 0.898

Penn State – 36 / (50) = 0.643

Clemson – 34 / (40) 34 = 0.850

UGA – 34 / (59)  = 0.576

Oregon –  22 / (32) = 0.680

Utah – 20 / (8) 🚨  = 2.500

Oklahoma – 34 /  (50) = 0.680

Florida – 45 / (39) = 1.154

2.5 NFL players per 4 or 5 star recruits coming out of Utah.  Georgia barely is putting in more than a half a player for each recruit.

I knew Utah was good at development but this but this is an incredible comparison.

2 1
      Utesbyfive
      Participant

This is a high quality post. 😀 Love it. Closest is Florida. I can’t wait to go to Gainesville. I’m going to that game, whatever the cost.

PlainsUte
      Participant

How much of star ranking is based on where the player has offers from – for example, get an offer from Oregon, then your 3 star rating gets bumped to 4.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I do believe that is a factor but Leki Fotu didn’t get bumped up to 4 star status when USC offered him. It still boggles my mind how he was not a 4 star recruit.

Utahute72
          Participant

One of the problems with the star system is that primarily looks at how good a player is when rated, not how they project. Jake Heaps is the poster boy for that effect. Utah has a system that factors that eval in. They are so good at it that some of the major programs follow them around and offer behind them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.