Proposed Super League

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Super League

They put us in the Plains Division, which seems a bit odd. I doubt this will be what we see. But, if it means that Utah remains with the big boys – I would take it. In the end – I suspect that the 7 division winners would make a playoff along with 9 at-large invitations.

I would like to take this over from our current situation.

Utegator
      Ute Fan
      @utegator

Yeah, having teams in the Rocky Mountains in the “plains” division makes me laugh. I highly doubt they would make a “super league” but still keep all the bottom dwellers like Rutgers in there. But maybe they draw a lot of eyeballs, I’m not familiar with their TV ratings.

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

Based on TV ratings from the last 5 years of the 70 P5 teams and 13 other G5s of note (Army, Navy, Air Force, Memphis, Boise St, UTSA, USF, UNLV, Tulane, SDSU, Colorado St, UConn, Fresno St)…..

Rutgers ranks #75 in television viewership score. Out of 83 total

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Wow. And that’s with them playing teams like OSU and MI that draw a ton of viewers.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

A few positives I see for this sort of thing is 10 teams in each division means potentially everyone can play all the other teams in their division every year with all teams playing 9 conference (division games) (instead of some play 8 and some play 9).

Also nice to mostly have teams closer together (instead of conferences containing teams from both coastlines).

But big $$$$ TV networks and mega conferences will dictate what happens in the future.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

This is a proposal from a few people that has no legs…

I could make a similar proposal in 24 hours that would be just as good or better and have about the same likelihood of actually happening. Not sure it’s worth getting too wrapped around the axle in how divisions are distributed in somebody’s fantasy

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Indeed on the EA College football game on XBOX (lets you customize what teams are in each conference each season) one can come up with all sorts of different configurations. I used to put the Southwest Conference (all the Texas power schools) and Big 8 back together for example. On a tangent, I am looking forward to the new edition, first in a decade, coming out later this year.

Whoever came up with this (never heard of ‘outkick’ before) has little money and virtually zero influence on what will happen over time.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

Outside of OSU/WSU and the 10 relegation teams who wants that? Maybe the California schools because they all royally messed up their travel?

That seems like a giant step back. The bigger conferences are good for the “cross” games because on any given week there are more good TV games that aren’t just regional. Those divisions just mean everyone is playing based on nearest geography and that’s not good for TV.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Proposed Super League