RB question for those with a better memory than me…

Viewing 3 reply threads

dleto
      Ute Fan
      @dleto

Who was the last running back that anyone can remember that had the breakaway speed of Joe Williams?  We have had some great backs at Utah who racked up some major rushing yards, but it was generally in smaller chunks.  I love seeing Joe outrun DBs in a footrace once he gets into the secondary.  When’s the last time we saw that at Utah?  I remember Eddie Johnson in the early 80s, but surely we’ve had another since him.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Never in my life have I’ve seen the break away speed that Joe Williams has. He is something special.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

You’ve seen it with the small backs like DAT and even Troy Mccormick. But Joe has much better size and, I’d argue, vision/feel. Excellent at knowing when to be patient and when to explode. His vision is also fantastic. All that combined with his speed is just big plays over and over

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Well Erol Tucker came to mind, but he wasn’t a back. (video below)

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I miss Bill Howard.  He was one of my favorites of all time.

Ute4life
      Ute Fan
      @ute4life

“Fast”Eddie Johnson, Del “Popcorn” Rodgers, and the late Carl Monroe all had breakaway speed and were capable of scoring from anywhere on the field. They all played in the 80’s, in the WAC though. I don’t think any of them were as fast as Joe. We have had a lot of great backs since then, but both Andersons, Ma’Afala, Mack, etc. all were power backs who broke 10-20 yard runs before getting caught.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football RB question for those with a better memory than me…