Reason to pump the brakes?

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 1

uteboi
      Ute Fan
      @uteboi

I saw an interesting statistic on twitter, I didn’t quite believe it so I looked into it. 

It said Utah had only one top-25 win in the last three seasons (it appear this is for game-week rankings rather than end of year rankings). 

But after a brief bit of research, it appears our only top-25 win in three years was Stanford last year who didn’t finish the season ranked. Can anybody find differently?

The reason I bring this up is the Utes went 1-4 (counting WSU as top 25 team although not ranked when we played) in games against ranked opponents last year (0-2 in 2016 and 0-3 in 2017). Although all those games were very competitive, and on-paper the Utes should be better this year (barring filling a few holes on O-line), the next step in the progression is beating the “good” teams on the schedule rather than just beating the “bad” or “average” teams we’re supposed to beat.

The Utes may only have 1-2 top-25 games this season, to move from a 8-4 or 9-3 team the Utes must win those match-ups in my opinion.

Go Utes!

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

No. Game week rankings are meaningless. What about end of year rankings?

uteboi
        Ute Fan
        @uteboi

Edited: See below.

uteboi
          Ute Fan
          @uteboi

Actually 1-9 because we played UW twice last year (and I forgot Northwestern). 

Record vs. End of season top-25:

2016 Lost to #4 UW, #17 Colorado and Beat #3 USC.

2017 Lost to #12 USC, #20 Stanford and #16 UW.

2018 season. Lost to #10 WSU, #13 UW (Twice), #21 Northwestern. 

whitlessham
            Ute Fan
            @whitelssham

Thank god CP is not coaching in the south conference – at least kwhitt can set a realistic goal of getting to the championship game…. then lose to CP…again 

Image result for chris peterson

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

I mean, you’re right. Utah hasn’t been able to beat EOY top 25 teams the past three years. I don’t think that curbs my (guarded) optimism for 2019. Utah seems primed for a strong year and, to your point, will need to beat those top 25 teams to break through.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

It all hinges on the health of Huntley. Utah has had some elite defenses past few seasons. Last year being arguably one of the best ever doesn’t mean s**t until you have an offense in the PAC. 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

This. With Huntley and mods I bet we win our last two.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Reason to pump the brakes?