Recruiting, Traditional factors vs NIL?

Viewing 5 reply threads

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

This goes for all revenue sports, basketball, football, gymnastics. . .

Broadly speaking, and with the understanding that each situation is unique, how much of signing a player is related to the listed factors influencing a recruits’ decision?

1- NIL $$
      2- Playing time
      3- coaches
      4- School major fit
      5- Family proximity
      6- a school’s reputation in the sport
      7- Other athletes; a sense of inclusiveness/belonging
      8 Other

In the not distant past, IMO coaches were primarily responsible for recruiting and maintaining a team. Now, I wonder how much is their responsibility? Is the Crimson Collective more important now than coaches selling a program?

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

By the way it’s looking, I’d slice the pie like this:
      NIL 48%
      Playing time 47%
      Some blend of coach and school rep 5%

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Without question, NIL is the #1 priority for top tier talented recruits. Whitt has gone on record saying that it’s the first thing out of every recruit’s mouth nowadays…”how much $ can I get if I come to Utah?”

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

I think the issue is that NIL doesn’t just represent $$$ (which everyone wants), but also commitment and feeling valued.

It’s not as clear-cut as professional athletes (who often have more $ than they could ever use, but want the respect/credit with a huge contract), but I do think (for many) a big NIL deal is also a proxy for “how much do you want me” and “how important am I to your plans”

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

Until University of Utah controls NIL and player compensation coaches better be recruiting Crimson Collective if they want to keep their jobs?

Considering next season’s current bb team roster, Smith best be kissing some CC a$$.

Is this system screwed up or what?

UteNamedOg
      Ute Fan
      @utenamedog

Good stuff homer

Eggers
      Ute Fan
      @johneggers

NIL, playing time, coaches, team vibe, all play a part. Coaches still matter, but it’s more about the whole package now the school, the team culture, everything.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Recruiting, Traditional factors vs NIL?