Remaining wish list. Recruiting and finish strong.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

This team seems different and special, all the more reason KW will cure the other demon of a WTF/head scratching loss. Based on what we’re saying, Utes will only get better. Love how TH said in the UW post game interview, “back to work”. 

I must be waaay off the back on how recruiting works. Utah must have some unique method of flying under the radar developing mid-range level football players out of high school or JC. Props to them considering how Utah scores compared to the national ranking of the football program. Clearly it’s more about character, work ethic, and other more important tangibles than highschool field talent. I know the star system has it’s flaws. The kids on this team are amazingly tough, solid, football players.

Looking at where Utah sits next to all of the teams on the CFP rankings it’s beyond shocking the off the chart difference there is in terms of the recruitment star scoring. Obviously Utah knows what they’re doing. I do think Dennis Erickson does not get enough credit for his Florida recruitment. Utes hit the motherlode with the Hollendale trio. Let’s be honest, Utes are not the same team without them especially from the leadership perspective.

TH will be successful in whatever he does. Props to his parents for raising a high character, respectful, loyal, hardworking, NICE, kid…what a solid role model for young Ute fans. My wife asked if we could buy a TH jersey next time we’re in Utah. Listening Utah Book Store :)?

All that said, is this the year Utah takes a step up with highschool recruiting? There are a lot of premier kids in the mix including a number of home town kids. I get Utah has their recruting niche and is masterful and assessing and developing potential. KW and his staff have a proven NFL building culture for players. 

Again, just seems odd recruiting has not seen a significant bump beyond the mid-30 star range for a team knocking on the door of playing in the CFP. Absolutely nothing against the current players as they’re IMO 6 star rated kids when you factor in athleticism, heart, character, etc. 

Go Utes!

User Suspended
      @a2ute

The argument is that Utah is “peculiar” and that non-mormons are scared away – making recruiting much harder.

I get that (although I think its an excuse) but it doesn’t explain why the best instate Mormons leave the state.

So the khwitt defenders, go with the ” it’s hard to recruit outsiders to Utah and the top Utah athletes (mormons) want to spread their wings and leave the state. Wow, lol. 

Noah Sewell should be a Ute ( poly, mormon, lives in Orem) but he, along with many other top recruits will take his services to Oregon…again.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Every state loses top in-state recruits every year. It is quite true that some kids just want to leave the nest. As long as we are getting our fair share of the in-state recruits that’s ok by me. There are plenty of other states we can recruit in.

That said…I’m starting to get worried about the 2020 class. I know Whitt’s philosophy has been to pull in recruits late, but this year seems later than usual, and I would have expected us to be pulling in more recruits considering our success the last two years. 

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

I agree that it’s an excuse. I think that point of view is not as strong as it used to be. For me, I mostly see us as a cold weather school that is not a blue blood or household name. The MSU comparison you made was very applicable, except Sparty is way more of a household name. Add in the fact that some of the warm weather schools are using our player evaluation to poach recruits from us and you end up right where we are. I believe that player development is just as important, and honestly I don’t see why we can’t have both high level recruiting combined with development, but it seems to be one or the other with the NCAA. Winning seems to be the only thing that can reasonably help us improve recruiting. I don’t know how else you solve it.

Parach-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @parach-ute

Just last year 17 out of the top 25 recruits in the state of Alabama went out of state and Alabama only got five of them and missed on the top two in-state recruits, who went to Georgia. As far as recruiting is concerned, Alabama is the gold standard but the numbers prove that not every kid wants to stay in state even if the in-state schools (Alabama and Auburn) are powerhouses. If Alabama and Auburn can’t keep them in-state then imagine the difficulty Utah must have.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Uncle Phil has more money than the Eccles and Phil is willing to pay a lot for recruits. Don’t tell me Oregon isn’t paying the Sewells or any of their other recruits. There is ZERO reason for a top recruit to go there other than getting paid.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Not a commit but crystal ball prediction: https://247sports.com/Player/Darvon-Hubbard-46047275/

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Both of those guys you linked to would kill it for our Utes. Can you imagine what Whitt and co could do with a 6 ft 7 monster at DE? Ludwig and Co would do great with a guy like Hubbard to go along with a smaller guy like Willmore also. Just those two recruits alone, if they pan out, would assure us of contending in the south for the next several years.

Parach-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @parach-ute

My opinion is that, unless you’re getting the high four-star and five-stars, development trumps star rating. That’s not to say that talent isn’t important but I don’t believe a kid who is rated 87 on 247 is materially better than a kid who is rated 85. Good development of the 85 kid would trump any talent discrepency (if any) between him and the 87 kid IMO. Also, many schools seem to offer when certain other schools do which means some kids aren’t even scouted. It’s nice that Utah is getting better average stars in its recruiting class but I can’t imagine they would ever go away from their model as long as Kyle is here. If Utah somehoe gets into the CFP, it would be a huge anomoly when it comes to recruiting as Utah has not even been close to a top 10 class.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Remaining wish list. Recruiting and finish strong.