So Johnson might start against Florida

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This article indicates that Whitt says that Barnes and Johnson are now neck and neck. Whitt also say that the offensive line starters have been named but he isn’t saying who.

The article suggests that we will not know who the starter is until the offense trots onto the field next Thursday. It may be one of three guys.

8 1

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Knowing Whitt, I’m going to go ahead and say this is him trying to keep Florida guessing. I’d be pretty shocked if Johnson starts. It’s either going to be Rising or Barnes IMO. Johnson has a high ceiling, but let’s not forget how he looked in the spring game against our 2’s and 3’s.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Johnson was still recovering then. Let’s not forget that either.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I tend to agree with you that Whitt is playing games like he always does. However, I do believe that Johnson is improving and the coaches are impressed. I suspect if Rising doesn’t go – Barnes will be the guy. However, If Rising does go, I would not be surprised that Johnson becomes QB2 as the season progresses. I have no inside information, but we do need to plan for the future and it is not Barnes IMO.

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

This is good news. Basically we have two Quarterbacks who could step in and play. Keep the gators guessing.

4 3

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Or we don’t, and Whitt is just playing games. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t already know who will be starting.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I’m sure he already knows.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

I heard that Alex Smith was granted a COVID year of eligibility.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

That’s huge if true.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Hope Alex brings his cane.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

I’m skeptical, given that we haven’t actually seen anything from camp. Don’t get me wrong, I hope Johnson plays if Cam isn’t playing, but I could see Whitt just making Napier and Co prepare for a potential rush threat like AR was. We do know that at the very least, Johnson will play, we just don’t know how much. I hope his play package is at least 10 plays though.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

It’s an overused cliche but also true. Next man up. It’s an opportunity. Shyne got hurt and Moss happened. Manny Bowen suddenly retires before even playing a down for us and 2 years later Lloyd is an all american, playing in the Rose Bowl and first round draft pick.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Has that ever been the case for a QB at Utah? It seems our guys need a lot of time to develop.

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

Probably not but I’m a hopeless romantic.

ALUF
          Ute Fan
          @dbgii77

Cam rising I would classify as that type of situation. Brewer was labeled the guy until a good way into the sdsu game and then rising came in and the team changed

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

What was the situation for Alex Smith? I don’t remember but was he not QB2 to start the season?

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

His second year he was QB2 for Meyer. Elliot broke his wrist on the last offensive play of the TAMU game. Smith started the next week. When Elliot was healthy again, Smith remained the starter. Eliiot transferred out before the next season.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

There’s the answer then. Yes, it has happened at QB at Utah before.

123punt
      Ute Fan
      @123punt

I would fully expect Barnes to start, them to pound the run, hope the defense can contain, then possibly insert Johnson in if we’re sluggish/behind/needing a spark, maybe in the 2nd half.

Tagging onto what @Dallas mentioned… it’s interesting how much more difficult it seems for our offensive recruits to earn playing time, in comparison with the defense. I don’t buy that it’s because of scheme complexity. Seems like a culture thing.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Many offensive players have started or played significantly as a Freshman. In recent years look at Covey, Moss, and Simkins.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

3 since 2015 isn’t exactly a trend 😉

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Kuithe fotheringham dixon are three more. And that doesn’t account for linemen which cover almost half the positions out there on offense.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Did you say insert Johnson if we’re behind?

123punt
          Ute Fan
          @123punt

Haha! 😅 That’s RGIII level commentary.

RustyShackleford
          Ute Fan
          @shakyute13

Do you remember Thompson coming in for Travis Wilson against Oregon St I think? Could be a similar situation.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

I feel strongly our D will ultimately decide this game….I believe it’ll work out in our favor.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Just like the good ol’ days when our D and special teams would outscore our offense.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So Johnson might start against Florida