The WFT name change got me thinking about the Utes

Viewing 3 reply threads
      13 2

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If any of you have any reservations about the school using the Ute tribe name, just take a Saturday and drive up and around Duchesne and Uintah county. The vast majority of Ute tribal members are proud of their association with the UofU. 

if our name ever change it’ll be because of uninformed white people.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Only my opinion here, but the day the leaders of the Ute tribe tell us they don’t want that name used then we should abandon it.  Until then, people should try to refrain from being offended on behalf of the Ute tribe.

perceptionate
        Ute Fan
        @perceptionate

I heard several years ago that we have a contingency plan in place to change the name to “Red Hawks” in just such a circumstance–if the Ute tribe tells us to change the name.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Uninformed cancel culture has tried in the past to get Utah to change the name. Why do you think we have a bird as a mascot?

The Ute tribe loves loves loves their relationship with the university right now. Utah provides them with many scholarships.

But things change if the University ever does anything that looks disrespectful and upsets the tribe leadership they could end the relationship. I see about a .01% of that ever happening.

As new leaders come in to the tribal counsel there could be change.

New voices bring new ideas but as of right now it’s mutually beneficial for both sides and I don’t see it changing anytime soon

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Yeah if you knew how many times opposing fans asked me if a Ute was some kind of bird….

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

If someone can’t tell any difference between the use of “Redskins” (a historically derogatory slur for Native Americans) and “Utes” (the name of a specific tribe that is used with the expressed blessing of said tribe), then I’m not sure what to tell them. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The WFT name change got me thinking about the Utes