Thoughts on Scalley

Viewing 10 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

It seems like being over a year removed now and with the whole pandemic that the Scalley issue has blown over. If so, is everyone thinking he’ll likely be our next HC when Whitt retires?

I love the program Whitt has built with a slow and steady upward trajectory. Seeing how one bad hire can derail everything (ie Men’s basketball post Majerus) I’m personally in favor of keeping everything in place vs rolling the dice on taking a new direction. And I believe Scalley would do just that. But curious what everyone’s thoughts are?

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I’d be in favor of keeping him. Will they? I don’t know. One year isn’t very long when you consider when the allegations took place. I guess it depends on who the AD is at the time. If it were today, I would guess Harlan would go after Sitake.

13 1

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I love Sitake and no doubt he’s a great guy. I’m not convinced he’s a great HC though. And if it were between him and Scalley, I’d go with Scalley without question. Scalley seems much more disciplined and focused where Sitake flys a little more by the seat of his pants (could be way off here, just my perception).

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I completely agree. Just the way I see things right now.

Utes 69
          Ute Fan
          @slc123

I love Sitake and no doubt he’s a great guy. I’m not convinced he’s a great HC though. And if it were between him and Scalley, I’d go with Scalley without question. Scalley seems much more disciplined and focused where Sitake flys a little more by the seat of his pants (could be way off here, just my perception).

My response…Please, no more Sitake he stated in his press confrenece that he bleeds blue. Utah put him on the map!  he is nothing but a byu homer.

Utah can do way better thsan that guy

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Sitake, puhlease. No way.

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

I honestly can’t imagine going with anyone else. The longest we keep K. Whit around is through 2027 and I think the Scalley scandal has totally blown over with how clear in their investigation they found no evidence of Scalley misbehaving out of that one simple text that he apologized for.

If we don’t go with Scalley, it’s a mistake.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I’m in favor of keeping Scalley as the new Head Coach in waiting.  I am NOT in favor of replacing Whittingham with Sitake.  I’m still not convinced that Sitake is Head Coach material.  Just because he beat most of the Sun Belt teams on his schedule last year, that doesn’t mean he’s “Utah” material.  In fact, it might actually mean that he’s NOT!  If you’re going to be deemed “Utah” material, you have to be able to beat ALL the Sun Belt teams you’re forced to line up opposite.

If Scalley isn’t available, there’s always Jay Hill.  And there’s really no rule anyway that stipulates Whittingham’s replacement has to have played and/or coached on the hill to be qualified.  Urban Meyer never did, and he turned out to be unbelievably successful in that role, and during an unbelievably short period of time no less.

And for what it’s worth, Rick Majerus had no Utah ties either.  I know he was “basketball”, but the principle remains the same.  The coach doesn’t have to be from Utah.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I agree that someone doesn’t have to be from Utah to be successful. However I believe it’s a huge advantage to have someone coming from the Urban Meyer/Kyle Whittingham tree for continuity purposes. In my mind that seems far less risky than rolling the dice on catching lightning in a bottle again like we did with Urban Meyer.

Regarding Jay Hill, I think it would be a huge risk to turn the program over to a coach from the FCS ranks. Let him cut his teeth on a G5 program or lower level P5 IMO.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am 100% supportive of Scalley being our next head coach. I like Jay Hill, but coaching at Weber State is not the same as coaching and recruiting for a PAC12 school.

I think that by the time KW decides to leave, everything will be forgiven and Morgan will be our new head coach.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Utah’s head coach must understand Mormon missions and the Polynesian community.  Scalley checks both of those boxes…

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

Those communities are our traditional recruiting grounds, certainly. Many other programs also recruit in those arenas and do well. Not sure that our next head coach needs to have those qualifications. That’s what recruiters/assistants are for. We need someone with a proven record of running a top-tier college football program, top to bottom, in my opinion.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Jeffrey Toobin is back at CNN. Anything and I mean ANYTHING is possible. 

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Scalley had 99% support from both past and present players, coaches and staff. The support was so overwhelming that he survived a situation that most wouldn’t have made it through in today’s world which tells you how highly he’s thought of with players and coaches alike.

He lost the “coach in waiting” title as punishment which also carried significant financial repercussions as well. He’s paid for his mistake and will continue to pay for it over the next few years financially.

Whit will be here for 2 more years (min) and Morgan will be 3-4 years removed from the incident. IMO he’s got a 95% chance to be the next head coach.

As Maya said:

“100% he’s there. OK, 95% cause I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it’s 100.”

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Am I the only one that was happy when Gary Anderson washed out? I was nervous about him being the next HC but would love if scalley takes the spot.

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Absolutely not. I don’t like the idea of a team member leaving and taking coaches and players and then doing it again. I’m glad he’s out of the running.

2 12

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Scalley needs to join Urban Meyer at Jacksonville to get rid of the stigma around him. If he can succeed than 1000% bring him on as the HC. Until then- Jay Hill should be the first call. People doubting FCS coaches- Utah’s LB coach seems to be doing pretty well recruiting at the P5 level.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

HC and position coach are not one in the same.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

I wonder how many times somebody has uttered a similar phrase and been proven wrong throughout history???

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

If Scalley goes to Jacksonville, he won’t be back to CFB.

1 8

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I believe we can do better. We have the dollars. When Whitt retires, I’d like to see us go after a high profile coach.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Like Lovie Smith? Chip Kelly? High profile does not equate to success. Keep the train rolling

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

High profile generally equates to success.

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

What University, similar to Utah, has made this high profile hire that you speak of?

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

We might have a Barry Alvarez situation. He’ll retire but stay in the athletic department. I’m not sure we will be ready to rebuild at retirement.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

They were correct in making Scalley the ‘HC in waiting’. The incident was made bigger than it was by the culture of the moment in time. Scalley has and is paying more than necessary for the mistake. Sitake is much down the line given how much the defense improved going from Sitake to Scalley. Hill is a good coach with the next step being getting involved at the P5 level as a coordinator which I expect would be an awesome pay raise from his current spot. I don’t know of another coach in college football I would prefer to have as HC over Scalley. I expect he is our future and will do very well.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on Scalley