Transfer portal question

Viewing 4 reply threads

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

So the transfer portal officially started in October 2018 and since then has there been any real significant players come into our football program from this process that have actually become great players for us?  Conversely have there been any players from our program leave via the portal to go onto to become great players for someone else?  I have been racking my brain trying to remember anyone in either direction and I am having a bit of trouble coming up with any names of consequence.  Anyone?

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

Samson Nacua is looking pretty good for BYU. Didn’t we get Cam Rising from the portal? A little too early to tell on either of them, I suppose.

Francis Bernard? Was he through the transfer portal?

I guess I don’t really know if all transfers these days go through the portal, or if there is some other mechanism.

4 2

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Bernard is a good one. But he wasn’t your typical portal guy looking for more playing time. He left a school that was actively trying to make him feel bad about himself. He came to the U where he could still have an LDS experience and not get in trouble if he looked at a female or was in the same room as someone who was drinking a beer.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Kincaid, Rising and Jackson all have potential. Don’t think anyone has left and been great. There was a guy that did some good things for USU a few years back but I think that was before the portal and I can’t remember his name.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I think Siosi Mariner did well up there and I have seen in the NFL but he wasn’t a superstar or anything.  I would not say Nacua is a smash hit at this point and I don’t think he ever will be.  Francis was a good LB but he wasn’t even the best LB on our team when he was here.  I do truly hope that Cam becomes the first legit star for us from the portal.  Only time and much improved O-Line play will tell.

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

Bernard made it onto an NFL roster.  I would think that’s a metric that qualifies him as a fairly elite player.  

1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Bryan Thompson has two whole catches at ASU so far. Lateral move at best for him. The guy we replaced him with has been slightly better production wise I think.

bernard was very good for us… but he was already very good at BYU. 

I think players that were very good and then move up in competition tend to stay very good. I don’t remember any examples of one team’s scrub becoming another team’s star, at least not right away.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Slightly predates the portal (but the idea was basically the same, just not formalized), but Stevie Tu’ikolovatu left our team as a backup DT who wasn’t getting playing time, went to USC, made an all-conference team and was drafted into the NFL.

That’s 2016 though, nothing since 2018 stands out

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Transfer portal question