Trick Plays

Viewing 5 reply threads

NorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @northernute24

Finally got an account made, but have been dying to see everyone’s thoughts on this… 1 year ago, JJ was a backup QB, what are the odds he takes some reps at QB if Cam is out? Might just be some form of wildcat, but kind of an interesting thought! Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on trick plays you’d like to see or even plays from the past that you have loved!

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

Trick plays can be fun; however, they can be a bit risky since you likely don’t practice them as much.

Redblood
        Ute Fan
        @redblood

Like the reverse to Vele attempt to throw back to Rising in the Rose bowl on our first drive in the second half while we were moving it well. Totally stopped the drive and in some ways turned the tide.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Welcome. Glad you finally made it. Post more! Ludwig’s trick plays make me crazy! Maybe I over focus on the ones that fail, but it sure seems like they fail a lot. We’re driving down the field, moving the ball great. Our O line is owning the defense. Then we do some dumb trick play and turn it over or fail to get a first down and the mojo is gone.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

The flea flicker in the Coliseum was great. Although, if the story is true, Cam called it, not Ludwig.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Yeah, that was the story. Ludwig did not call the flea flicker but Rising thought he did, so Rising called it and it was a success. Ha ha.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Agreed Tony. In the Rose Bowl, we were tied and driving down the field and did a trick play that proved to be very costly. I like some trick plays at the right time and place, but when your line is dominating in the trenches – it is probably not necessary.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Trick plays that work are great. Trick plays that fail you remember for years.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

I wouldn’t really consider wildcat or trick plays to be true QB reps, so in that regard, I don’t think he’s taken any. He’s taken the RB spot and run with it (pun intended). He doesn’t need true QB reps to run a trick play or wildcat. He has arm strength and athleticism. My guess is that he simply wasn’t a good decision maker at QB. On a trick play, you need to only make 1-2 reads, which is something he can probably do just fine. It’s 4-5 reads from the pocket that he probably just wasn’t good at.

But yes, I’m sure they have implemented a few more wildcat/trick plays with Jackson and Johnson.

DieHardUtahUtesFan
      Ute Fan
      @diehardutahutesfan

Our OC is Andy Ludwig. Creative plays are not what we do here.

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

I loved that punt return where covey faked that he was catching the ball. Not sure it qualifies as a trick play, but man that was great.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

That was one of the greatest plays in Utah history. Even better was that it happened in Autzen against Oregon.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

no no no no no no no no no no no

no

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.