Utah invited to join the AAU.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Remember the thread from the other day about the $150M donation to mental health…

I suggested that might put us in AAU territory, and bam, we get invited. This is a huge feather in the school’s cap, and puts us in the majority of Pac-12 members in this prestigious association.

This is very notable, because they haven’t invited anyone to join since 2012.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff/the-u-invited-to-join-the-association-of-american-universities/

https://www.aau.edu/newsroom/press-releases/three-leading-research-universities-join-association-american-universities

UtahSig
      Ute Fan
      @utahsig

I rarely post, but this is such amazing news I felt compelled to.

It would be hard to overstate how big of a deal this is. It puts us in elite company.

This might be a little hyperbolic but if we made a sports comparison, I would say it is more like winning an NC in football than getting an invite to the PAC 12, just so prestigious.

It is a GREAT day to be a Ute!

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

A couple interesting factoids:
        There are only 65 AAU member schools in the country.
        There hadn’t been a new AAU admission since 2012.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve always considered Utah a great school.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

You beat me to it! I was in a meeting. Anyway, here’s the text of Ruth’s email to staff.

Dear colleagues,

I am thrilled to share with you some very significant news for the University of Utah: We have been invited to join the Association of American Universities, the most prestigious association in higher education. AAU requires its member institutions to be engaged at the highest levels of research, scholarship, and education. Our selection as one of AAU’s newest members reflects the excellence the University of Utah has achieved in each of these areas.

Election to the AAU is both prestigious and highly competitive, requiring a significant majority of member institutions—the most accomplished and well recognized universities in North America (see members here)—to identify us as a peer. Election is based on measurable accomplishments in research and scholarship, impact, and student success. Indicators such as external funding for research, how knowledge generated at the U is used and where U graduates are placed are particularly relevant.

Joining the AAU confirms the quality and caliber of our faculty and staff and the innovative work they are doing to advance knowledge and address grand societal challenges. Membership in the AAU opens new paths for the U to be at the forefront of research, education, programs, and policies. Our students and our community will be the ultimate beneficiaries of this membership and all that it brings, for example:
      • The value of a University of Utah degree is enhanced by this recognition.
      • Talented students, faculty, and staff can learn and build careers at the U.
      • Our faculty and leaders now have greater opportunities to shape policy and federal research investments.

I want to express my gratitude to you for your role in this noteworthy recognition. We celebrate with you the tremendous achievements of the University of Utah in fulfilling its role as our state’s flagship research institution and a prestigious, nationally recognized university.

Warmly,
      Ruth Watkins
      President

Heike
      Ute Fan
      @heike

THIS IS HUGE!!!!!

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

THIS IS AWESOME!!!

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

And let’s make no mistake: The PAC12 invite set the table for this. It’s been so positive in every way – and I’m not talking about sports. The difference the PAC12 has made in our educational and research missions is palpable. And obviously the timing suggests that the new mental health center announcement is what pushed us over the edge.

This really is massive news. As much as we get caught up in football and basketball and other sports, we can’t forget that the main reason this whole thing exists is to (a) teach students stuff and get them degrees, and (b) discover/invent stuff that benefit the world. Sports is just a sidecar.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Sports is the marketing department.

homer
        Ute Fan
        @homer

The on campus changes since joining the PAC12 are amazing. Everywhere you look, you can see tremendous upgrades in facilities.

An invitation to a P5 has allowed The Real U to majorly up its game on the field, but more importantly academia.

Afterall, first and foremost we are THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH!!

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I may see it different. The Pac 12 invite came in large part because the U was very near this recognition at the time. This is not something that has been accomplished since 2010. As an example, ASU does not simply make this recognition a goal and get it done in a decade. However, to your point, invitation to the Pac has opened doors and could have helped push the last foot or two to help get over that goal line. This is something that has been in the development process for some time. The AAU could care less about sports, but the Big10 and Pac 12 very much value this as a big part of their clubs. Expressed another way, an elite research institution.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

As an alum involved in academia, that is awesome, just as important as being P5 in football.

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

where can I get an AAU bumper sticker just to annoy some Zoobs 🙂

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

That’s already done. They are p**sed.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

This is a huge deal. For those who haven’t been tracking, admissions standards at Utah spiked the last few years and this is only going to push the grades and scores required higher. Utah State and UVU are getting stronger students too. I mean, graduation rates at UVU ten years ago were under 20 percent (meaning students went there for other reasons), and now they are respectable. Adjust your plans for your kids if they want UofU but don’t plan on working hard to get in.

ASU, WSU, OSU are not in the club. The rest of the PAC12 is already. That’s more separation when conferences consolidate.

All of the B1G are members. Big XII has six I believe. SEC has two. ACC maybe six. You could draw lines to AAU members plus select schools with improving academics to fill members without football programs and come up with some serious haves vs have nots while pairing sports branding and research strength. People will hate the idea but its pretty compelling since Utah and others demonstrate a connection to growth as a research and academic institution and competitive sports.

Academically, this is way bigger than PAC12. PAC12 likely helped it to happen. Getting this validates Utah’s admission to the conference for all conference members too.

If you aren’t aware of the club Utah just joined, go look at the list:

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Heike
        Ute Fan
        @heike

*All of the B1G except Nebraska. They were kicked out in 2011.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Utah invited to join the AAU.