Sad.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Why why why?????

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

… because this does absolutely nothing for us and more for them .. Great move Harlan

12 9

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

Because fans love it, it is intense, and draws more eyeballs than any other Utah non-Conference game and even most conference games. Rivalries are the best part about college football, yet some people for inexplicable reasons want to abandon one of the best rivalries in the country.

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

There are plenty of reasons why we shouldn’t play them, so I understand if someone doesn’t want to.  For me I’d like to switch off every other year with them and Utah st.  If bigger games like a Michigan are available I think that should take priority over BYU-p, but I’d rather play BYU-p over Wyoming, New Mexico etc.

Anonymous
          Inactive

The TV ratings for Utah / BYU-P have not been great in recent years. Fans on both sides are ready to end it.

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

hoping for a break, but through 2024 that would be 14 straight

Johnny80
      Ute Fan
      @johnny80

Boo!!!

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I didn’t down vote you, I down voted the message.

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

I’m in the minority, but I don’t mind playing them.  They haven’t beat us in over 3300 days and they aren’t all of a sudden more talented than us.  We can completely kill the “spirit” of that program by the end of that series.  

8 1

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

You can’t kill anything at BYU-P. They’re like c**kroaches.

If 8 in a row hasn’t killed their spirit, 80 in a row wouldn’t either.

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

I doubt you are in the minority of the fanbase. There are some vocal people on each side of the debate, but I think most casual Utah fans, oldtimers, and unaffiliated locals, get more excited about the BYU game than many other games.

GreatNorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @greatnorthernute

Most important part is no November games. Even for those of us who would rather abandon the rivalry, this is a big win.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

I agree, it is very generous of Utah to continue the home-and-home, but at least it will not be in November, where it was a rediculous sideshow stuck between the Pac-12 regular season and the Pac-12 Championship game.

9 1

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Profound disappointment. We’ll never schedule another P5 team in preseason as long as we play these losers.

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

Different AD now who hopefully will have a different scheduling approach. Should be no reason we can’t schedule BYU and a P5 team.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

We play Baylor in 2023 and 2024, so maybe after that series we add a different P5 school.

2 4

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

And frankly, after all the BS and rape coverups at Baylor we should probably get them off the 2023/2024 schedule.

14 5

UtMtBiker
            Ute Fan
            @utmtbiker

And what about the BS, coverups, history of racism, and misogyny at BYU?  By this logic they should be off the schedule as well.  

Puget Ute
              Ute Fan
              @pugetute

I 100% agree. But the Utah state legislature won’t allow it.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

For everybody who downvoted this, I am saying I want to replace Baylor with another P5 school in the 2023/2024 seasons.  The window is rapidly closing, however. 

I believe Iowa may have a schedule opening those years, and that would be an amazing H-H.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

I know, let’s replace them with Penn State. I mean if we’re talking about Institutions with past sins…

Blacklisting these schools forever… How politically correct. %/

AUDIIDUA
      Ute Fan
      @audiidua

I feel that if BYU were more of a powerhouse program (getting to bigger bowl games and winning) we would be more accepting to the idea of playing them as it would be nationally viewed as more of a marquee game beyond the rivalry. But they haven’t been able to win big games. As a result it’s a bit of a lose, lose for Utah to play them.

12 1

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

honestly, I’d rather play Utah State.  Better opponent

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

Because I have a soft spot in my hear for Utah State, playing them is delicate for me. I want to play them, and I want Utah to win every game, but a bit of me feels bad seeing them lose (even to Utah). Whereas, BYU, I thoroughly enjoy beating them. Come to think of it, there is no other team that Utah has played where I feel a bit bad beating them, only Utah State. 

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

I like Weber too but I would never want to see them upset the Utes.

4 11

Virginia Ute
      Ute Fan
      @virginiaute

Great!  Happy to see the rivalry and tradition continue, as it should.  

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

Hurry!  Post this message on their board too!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

It irritates me that Utah seems to have to be “connected” to byu. For that reason I want the rivalry to end. That said, they are a decent pre-season opponent who will provide a better-than-average test to get us ready for games that really matter.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

November games are absolutely not acceptable ever again. 

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

I do agree with this, if we keep playing them(which I’m ok with) it needs to be the first or 2nd game of the season.

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

The fan in me that grew up with the rivalry in the 80s and 90s likes that we’re continuing to play them and there was something cool about playing them in November like the old days. But the realist in me can recognize that playing a “meaningless” game in November before a potential conference championship game isn’t exactly ideal. If I was in charge of scheduling, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why I’m not, we’d do away with the ABC scheduling philosophy. In it’s place our 3 OOC games would be:

in-state (BYU and Utah State on a 4 years/2 years rotation)
      Power 5 school H-H
      Group of 5 school

Now I’ll just sit back and wait for EA Sports to bring back NCAA Football in 2030 so I can implement my scheduling plan.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah v BYU continues through 2024