Utes new 4 Star Recruits

Viewing 1 reply thread

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

So hows come 247 shows Akana and Johnson as 3 star recurits still a day after publishing articles they are now 4 star?

Enquiring minds want to know.

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

247 themselves have rated them as 4 stars, but the composite still shows 3 stars because that ranking takes in other recruit ranking sites. You can see that the 247 only rankings have them both as 4 stars.

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

Who knew? Thanks for the explanation.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Well, I knew. I’m kind of biased towards the composite rank because that’s what most news services are looking at. It’s awesome that they are adding stars on the different rating services (247, Rivals, ESPN, and now On3) but really 247’s composite ranks are certainly a very good standard to look at.

I believe that the same guy started Rivals, left and started 247, and has now left them and started On3. Really the 247 composite ranks, along with the best quality reporting, and the best user boards (Utezone) made 247 the top ranking service.

Waybackutefan
            Ute Fan
            @waybackutefan

Yeah I never really paid much attention to the rating sites until maybe two years ago. It kind of fun to look back now and see who was or wasn’t highly rated and how that panned out for playing time. for instance the 4 4 stars from the 2021 barely, and I mean barely, saw the field, yet 3 of the 4 2020 4 stars, Ritchie, Fillinger and CP3 are total studs, (and the 4th Xavier Carlton could very well have been).

Guys who were down the list of star power who have had impact or the team are impressive over those two recruiting cycles:

Ty Jordan (RIP)

Faybian Marks

Kamo’i Latu

Cole Bishop

Johah Ellis

Not even bringing up the portal adds, Reid, Pledgre, Rising etc.. I get chub thinking about a defensive backfield of CP3, Ritchie, Bishop and Marks or whoever steps ups for the 4ths spot. 

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Ritchie and CP3 won’t play on the same field again unless it is in the pros. Ritchie won’t be back until the 2023 season and 2022 will be CP3’s last as he will declare by the end of this year’s bowl season.

I am looking forward to Ritchie and Sione Fotu coming back from their missions since they both showed so well in 2020. Those will be huge pieces to add to the defense.

Waybackutefan
                Ute Fan
                @waybackutefan

Meh you never know, who would have predicted Kuithe coming back for his senior year.

Utesbyfive
                  Ute Fan
                  @utesbyfive

If Philips keeps developing as he has, then he’s gone. PFF grades him out as one of the top ten returning DBs in the country right now.

Incidentally they also graded Kuithe AND Kincaid in the top ten returning tight ends for 2022. Tight end U!

2008 National Champ
                    Ute Fan
                    @cptmrgn05

Not sure if it was PFF or another service but I saw that Phillips was considered top 3 returning corner. He’s on the Jaylon Johnson 3 and done plan.

Kuithe is a bad comparison. He’s undersized for a Tight End and doesn’t have WR ability. He came back because he didn’t get a good draft grade. When you compare Kuithe to someone like Brock Bowers, he pales in comparison. He’s a good complimentary piece in Utah’s offense but I don’t see him getting more than a cursory look in the pros.

Edit: it was PFF that I saw Top 10 returning CB’s

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utes new 4 Star Recruits