Vante Hendrix is leaving the basketball team

Viewing 9 reply threads

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

According to his Instagram post. I’m so tired of our exciting players with high promise transferring early. Our team is in such a bad spot right now it makes me really sad. Conference is down this year and I was hoping we could make a run but this team is really bad. 

3 1

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m just giving up on basketball. 

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

After getting the technical foul late in the Hawaii game, he didn’t play a minute against Grand Canyon and Northwestern.  Hope this team start coming around soon as we’ve really had some bad losses so far.

LetItRide
        Ute Fan
        @letitride

He is a solid defender and has speed. Wtf are we doing. His three point shot is decent and he played with energy. Not happy. 

stonguse
        Ute Fan
        @stonguse

He wasn’t even on the bench during those games.

1 1

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Sounds like Coach K can’t keep a team together. Great. Just…great.

6 1

PhillyUte
      Ute Fan
      @phillyute

Hmmm I’m starting to think it’s not the players that’s the problem. Oh man I miss the Delon and Poeltl seasons. 

therealu
        Ute Fan
        @therealu

I agree. It is one thing to not make it to the tourney in 3 years – but to have such a revolving door of players (and a lot of talented ones at that) as well – not good for the basketball program and that falls at Larry’s feet. 

Ultimately it comes down to winning, but if you aren’t winning, and your are IMO damaging the reputation of the program when it comes to future recruits…. not good. 

It is probably put up or shut up time with Larry, and if the Utes don’t make the tourney at least once in the next two years, I would be shocked if Harlan kept him around. 

1 1

Sweetness
          Ute Fan
          @sweetness

I’ve largely been behind Larry during his time here, but we’re really bad this year and this is his 6th/7th? season as coach. Players keep transferring and we’re going to miss the tournament for the third straight year. IMO he should at least get this year and next, but if in two years we don’t make the tournament and we have some more of these transfers I think it will be time to move on. The university has invested way too much money into facilities and coaching to only be making the tournament once every few years. 

3 1

alharmon
      @alharmon

If we don’t make the NCAA tournament either this year or next it’s time to move on from Larry. I love his passion, but too many players transferring and not enough winning…

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

We are stuck. His buyout is $13M AFTER this year. He will be here for at least 4 more gears, So I hope he can get things rolling soon.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

WTF is K doing ? Anyone who has talent leaves. Meanwhile the RaRa very little talent guys stay but can only do so much. This is getting ridiculous.

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

Vante Hendrix departs Utah’s basketball program after being absent from the last two games.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/11/28/vante-hendrix-departs/

“may have stemmed from a brief exchange with coach Larry Krystkowiak”

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Evidently it was not basketball related, but personal.  That may be why he wasn’t around to finish the tournament.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Confirmed. This was Vante’s decision, period. 

I’m not defending Larry at all because he’s lost far too many players, but this one is not on him. 

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I am a season ticket holder and have gone to all the home games. In those games I noticed that there was some tension between Hendrix and Coach K. It has been the Coach’s policy , since he came here, to pull players from the game for unforced errors both on D and as turnovers on O. When that happened to Hendrix he would walk away from the bench area to cool off, pout or whatever. One time he left the bench area completely and went into the players tunnel for a brief period. Having coached multiple sports for more than 30 years I understand the predicament this puts Coach K. in, I believe that players that don’t buy into the coach’s philosophy and are given “special” treatment can have a devastating affect on team chemistry.

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

Noticed that as well. Couple of times had to be coaxed into joining the huddle during the timeout. Not a good look.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Vante Hendrix is leaving the basketball team