What is the Official Word on Covey?

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

Does anyone know what his injury is? I know Whit doesn’t speak specifically about it. I heard rumors of him redshirting. 

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

It’s not new. He’ll redshirt because he hasn’t fully recovered from his injury vs UW last year. It’s obvious he’s not back. Onlyu said he also had a minor soft tissue issue, but I’m doubtful that would be the main reason.

gothamute
      Ute Fan
      @gothamute

According to article today in the Athletic, he is definitely going to sit out October and at the end of the month they’ll decide whether they need him for the stretch run or whether to keep 2 years of eligibility… right now sounds like everyone leaning towards the latter but they’re keeping both doors open for now to see whether other WRs step up and what the P12 title landscape looks like one month out.

7 2

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Vickers is better and runs with more violence. Not to say Covey can’t be better but he needs to rehab get healthy then work on adding 15-20 lbs. It is extremely difficult to rehab and get gains at the same time. 

savageUTEamI
          Ute Fan
          @savageuteami

Vickers has balled out so far this season, that can’t be argued.. see the TD from Saturday for proof.. but IMO he is not better than Brit Covey. Jon Wilner mentioned it recently.. the loss of Covey will be felt when the Utes are in a 3rd and long situation in the Washington game or some other game that could have the south title on the line.. normally this is Covey time, he is reliable to get open, get past the sticks and pick up the 1st down. Vickers is not there yet. The Utes will miss him, but he just isn’t the same. I’ve noticed it in person, I hope dude gets healthy so he can have a repeat of his freshman year. love me some Brit Covey.

7 4

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Disagree. Covey has not demonstrated burst all season. I also believe the wasted reps on Covey during the USC game were part of the reason for the loss. I am not trying to bag on the guy at all. It isn’t his fault other than being dishonest with himself because he wants to play. 

Also in the Wazzu game Huntley delivered on a few third and long without him. 

1 1

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

I think he’ll be missed more on punt returns.  And maybe on some reverse plays that have not really been called by Ludwig, but could be called more by using Dixon or Vickers in place of Covey.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Yeah we haven’t seen a Ludwig triple reverse blown play for a five yard loss yet. So far just the shotgun plays in short yardages are the only plays Ludwig has bugged me on. Which I am not sure if it is more about execution vs bad play call. 

Wilson’s Mustache
                Ute Fan
                @sigmaute

Running the ball on short and goal out of the shotgun is ALWAYS a bad play call.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

I know I will get a lot of thumbs down, but I want him to be healthy so in his attempts to get that extra yard by running all across the field he won’t fumble the ball. He needs more weight. Last year I felt we could count on 1 fumble a game from him trying to go East-West too much to try to get just a little extra.

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

He started fumbling because of the broken wrist.

DataUte
                Ute Fan
                @scotwaye

Exactly. Protect the ball with both hands and go down instead of trying to get cute. Sometimes you can try to do too much.

UtMtBiker
            Ute Fan
            @utmtbiker

Third and long has never been Covey time.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What is the Official Word on Covey?