Where will our scoring come from?

Viewing 8 reply threads
      1 12

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Imagine our team from two seasons ago minus Timmy’s ability to get to the FT line. That offense was so bad that I’d bet good money that showing it is satan’s go to method of torture these days… now just imagine that horror show without Allen. Even Satan can’t be that cruel.

let this sink in… Both Gach is going to be our go to scorer. You know, the guy that missed like 40 threes in a row. The guy who is basically a walking, breathing bad offensive possession.

if Carlson doesn’t get consistent from three, and put on 15+ pounds we are so beyond screwed.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Two things need to happen to make this coming season tolerable.

1. Gach must suddenly learn how to run the PnR, and not mishandle the ball in traffic.

2. Carlson needs to beef up and become a viable pick/pop/roll option.

if these things happen this season will be worth watching.

dwainegf
        Ute Fan
        @dwainegf

Love your positivity. It is always spot on.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Am I wrong?? I suppose Gach might not be option 1… but he’ll be close

UtahFanSir
            Ute Fan
            @utahfansir

Definitely Craig Smith needs a sit down with you if not putting you on staff. I think you can make a huge difference to Utah basketball. Maybe get the Utes another six wins per season. I’ll ask him to reach out…he’s clueless that such great insights are available from the fan base. 

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

I think I’m hardly the first fan of a team to think their roster isn’t going to be fun to watch… does that mean I think I know better than the coach? No. Did I imply in any way that I did? No. 

I did not say anything about our coach, or his recruiting. The current state of the program is not his fault in the least.

instead of arguing like a child by putting words in my mouth, and mocking me for things I neither said nor implied, why don’t you contribute to the discussion? 

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

Fundamentally, you don’t understand the bigger picture. In 1998 Utah was 2nd in all NCAA in defense and rebounding, and 127th in scoring. That’s the model Craig Smith is trying to build and the offense will focus on the post more than what Larry did. Last year Utah State’s top 2 leading scorers were the center and power forward. That might not happen this year but it will be a focus to work inside out more than what Larry did. In 1998 the leading scorers were 1) Doleac 2) Miller 3) Hano 4) Jensen – 3/4 were the bigs.    You mention Gach in the pick and role as if that will be a major focus of the offense…I’m not sure it will be a major focus  through Gach. I could see the leading scorers being some combination of the posts and Anthony….and then one or two of the guards. Anyway, I think your not in the ballpark in understanding the type of system  Utah will be running. I welcome the style being brought to Utah. 

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Here we go with another genius who doesn’t seem to be able to stick to what is actually being written.

please point to where I criticize Smith in any way.

It’s not his fault our program is in shambles. As bad as this team may be, it’ll be better than LKs first year.

This roster is low on scoring. Unless Smith is a much better offensive coach and/or a few guys step up big time, we will struggle to score. That is the just of what I said. Try actually commenting on that mmkay.

Ute Dub
                Ute Fan
                @chestercopperpot

Pretty sure I detailed where the scoring will come from with an emphasis on getting the ball to the bigs and working out from there. Carlson, Dusan, Anthony will be featured in some way. Have you watched any film on Dusan to evaluate his post moves? Would love to hear your feedback there. Craig Smith focuses on defense first so you fretting about scoring when scoring is not Craig Smith’s primary focus is relevant.

Johnny
            Ute Fan
            @johnny

You are wrong

Fred
      Ute Fan
      @fredflintsone

I’m not buying Gach being the go to scorer. Jenkins is much better shooting the 3 and getting to the bucket.

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

But we have a new coach who supposedly has a better track record so I guess we just need to give him a chance right? We haven’t made the NCAAs for quite a while so I’m not really expecting to make it anyways. 

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Good thing we have a different coach and almost an entirely new team from two years ago. Wouldn’t want to repeat that.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

You are fun at parties.

1 3

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I would be if anyone bothered inviting me. haha

dwainegf
          Ute Fan
          @dwainegf

Host your own party. That way you don’t need an invitation.

Ex’dUte
      Ute Fan
      @exdute

It will be scoring by committee for sure, but that’s not a bad thing. We relied too much on Timmy the past two seasons. And Gach won’t be the focal point of the offense. He may not even start.

My guess is that Jenkins will be our leading scorer at 13 or 14 points per game followed by Carlson (12 ppg), Anthony (10 ppg), Mahorcic (10 ppg), Worster (9 ppg), Gach (9 ppg) and Battin (8 ppg) as out top 7 scorers.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Kinda neat Dwight Schrute has an account on here. 

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

For hells sake people, can we at least see the product before we decide not to buy it?  I can’t believe so many of us have our panties in a wad over this given what we’ve put up with the last 20 years.  Worst case scenario is we go 4 more.  Best case is we break from that and suceed.  

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Can we talk more about panties?

3 1

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Maybe the majority on here have higher expectations than I do for this upcoming season. I’m just glad to finally be able to tune in and follow Utes basketball again regardless if they win 6 games or 20. Apologies to all of you who have stuck with the program through thick and thin…I just completely lost interest the past 5 years with the way things were going.

Seeing the roster Smith has to work with, my expectations are very low. I’d be shocked if he’s able to succeed (finish in the top 1/4 of the PAC and go to the tourney) with this team in his first year. Trying to be realistic…I’m just hoping for slow and steady progress back to the top.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Where will our scoring come from?