Which is better, winning the Rose Bowl or getting blown out in a playoff game?

Viewing 15 reply threads

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Let’s say these are the two realities in front of us, which would we prefer? I think I would rather win a Rose Bowl and dream about the what if’s than go and get curb stomped by LSU and have to listen to “see? Pac 12 just isn’t on the same level as the SEC” for the next 9 months. 

Now, whether those are the two realities or not, no clue. But, I definitely think we would have a hard time stopping Burrow’s offense. That matchup would make me nervous. 

stonguse
      Ute Fan
      @stonguse

Win the Rose and finish 3rd in front of the 2 playoff losers. Happened last year.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Yes, Burrows would be a handful for sure.  IMO, he is by far the best QB in the country.  However, LSU’s defense is suspect.  An injured Tua kept marching down the field against them.  They allowed 400 yards running this last weekend.  Texas kept scoring against them.

Could we stay with LSU? Maybe.  LSU has a lot of talent, but I wouldn’t bet against us.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Utah St. Was able to hang with them for a bit until LSU overwhelmed them. I cant help but think Utah could make a game out of it if not win outright.

loyter
      Ute Fan
      @loyter

I don’t think this team would get blown out by anybody.

That said, the answer to this question is ALWAYS the playoff. It’s like asking if the basketball team would rather do well in the NIT or lose in the Big Dance.

Always the Dance, always the playoff.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

The Natty should be goal. Can’t get there without the playoff. Give me the playoff. At least then you have a shot.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

To be clear, my hypothetical assumes we get blown out. In that scenario, i’d rather take the win in the rose bowl. Since we obviously can’t predict the future, I don’t disagree with you. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I’d be a lot more scared of playing the Buckeyes.

LSU would be VERY tough though.

I like our chances against every other team in the country.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

To be honest going to the Rose Bowl would be amazing. The history, the pageantry, the Grand daddy of them all. Makes you wish Keith Jackson “Oh Nellie” was still around to call the game. You don’t get a trophy if you lose in the College Football Playoff but a Rose Bowl Trophy would look incredible in the front entry of the football offices.

I think Utah could easily hang with LSU and Clemson. I want nothing to do with OSU and that offense

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Fiesta, Sugar, Rose. 3/6. We need to collect them all. 😉

User Suspended
      @a2ute

I know a few Sparty fans who now wish they went to the Rose Bowl and won then having to continuously explain the horrendous beatdown the Tide put on them in the playoffs.

I say win the Rose Bowl!

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

I’d much rather win a bowl game than lose a bowl game. The way I see it, Peach Bowl = Rose Bowl. I’ll take the W, whichever it is.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Playoffs this year. 

Rose Bowl next year. 

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

I wouldn’t count Utah out against LSU, let alone call it a blowout for LSU already. Utah’s defense is elite, and their offense is great. I think they compete with anyone.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I agree. I think there is six levels in college football this year:

Level 1: Ohio State and maybe Clemson (they look good, but haven’t played anyone)

Level 2: Georgia, LSU, Utah, Oregon

Level 3: Alabama (after the Tua injury), Florida, Penn St, the rest of the top 10.

Level 4: Teams around 10-16.

Level 5: The teams ranked 17-45.

Level 6: The rest. 

Utah is right there and as good as anyone not named Ohio State (and maybe Clemson). 

What Utah fans want is for LSU to win out and they get the #1 seed and Utah at #4. 

I’m not sure Utah can beat Ohio State. They can take on anyone else. They might not win, but it will be a game. 

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Yeah, like I said, I don’t necessarily think that is what would happen. More of a general hypothetical.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Every time I see this question posed I get irritated that it’s When the Rose Bowl or get blown out in the CFP. Why does everybody assume we will get blown out in the CFP? I say if Utah wins out and went to the PAC12 championship game I love our chances against anybody!

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

I don’t think its unreasonable to say that Ohio State and LSU are probably on a tier above Utah. Utah hasn’t played a top ten team this year so we have no idea how they would fare against one. Also, of the 10 semifinal games played in the history of the CFB playoff, seven have been blowouts, or close to it. So, I really don’t think it’s an unrealistic possibility, frankly. 

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Winning the Rose Bowl is better than getting blown out in a CFP game, but since nobody has that crystal ball to see how we would have performed in either game, I’d rather take my chances in the CFP!  We have a very good team this year.  So why not go “all in” to find out just HOW good we are.  Are we “Top-10” good?  “Top-4” good?  “Top-2” good?  Are we the best team in the nation?  We’ll be able to find out whether or not we’re “Top-10” good by playing in the Rose Bowl, but the other 3 options?  Only one way to find out.

Fred Rogers
      Ute Fan
      @towjamm

Just win the PAC 12.

UteHorn21
      Ute Fan
      @utehorn21

I know it was a hypothetical question, but all I can think is “wow, what kinda loser BS is this?” As a Texas fan that’s very fond of the Utes I personally love a Utah-LSU match up. I’m not sure why any Utes are afraid of them? I got to see them first hand in Austin this year, no doubt Utah’s defense could and would slow down LSU. On the flip side of that Huntley and Moss are 100% putting up yards and points on their D.

Utah’s defense is playing elite football right now and can play with anyone. The only matchup I don’t like for the Utes is against Ohio St. Outside of that, they can stop Georgia’s run game, they can slow LSU down quite a bit and should be able to get enough stops to win a 3-7 point game. 2019 Clemson isn’t 2018 Clemson.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

Win the Rose bowl. This really isn’t a question is it?

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Which is better, winning the Rose Bowl or getting blown out in a playoff game?