Who is telling the truth

Viewing 6 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Dennis Dodd is reporting that the Big 12 is currently in talks with six pac 12 schools (Utah, CU, AZs, UW and UO). Newman is saying that Utah sources deny any big12 talks. So who is telling the truth? Hopefully Dodd, but I can see our brass getting on the band of brothers — save the ship kinda mission. .

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Of course they are lying to Newman. If they aren’t then we deserve to go down with the ship

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I hope Utah’s alignment with the Pac12 isn’t so strong that they would turn down an invitation from the Big 12. Either scenario isn’t great, but imagine staying in the Pac12 with Cal, Oregon State, Stanford and Washington State and then bringing in teams like Fresno, SDSU and Utah State 🤢

GibUtes
        Ute Fan
        @gibutes

First off, I think everyone is in agreement that the best option would be to somehow get an invite into the B1G. If ND still stay independent, then Oregon, Wash, Utah, Stanford/Colo/Whoever into the B1G would be the optimum path for us and put the conference to 20. Personally, I doubt that this will happen. Their money being diluted among too many schools, so I doubt the current B1G schools would go for it… 

Here’s a scenario to think about.

Utah/Colo/ASU/Ariz all jump to the Big12. It’s probably a good enough landing spot for us $$$, except for the noise you’d hear on BoogerBoard. What about Wash/Oregon? I think they are desperate for (and delusional enough to assume they get) a B1G invite, so much so that they might not risk it by aligning themselves with Big12. Is there a chance they get left behind with no invite?

It would be funny to see the Dawgs and the Ducks without a home. If the plan all along was to invite them to the B1G, it would have happened already when the SoCal schools jumped ship. Maybe they get invited once Notre Dame figures out what to do, but in that situation, they have absolutely no bargining power.  Any truth to the idea that as state-schools, they are more-or-less stuck with the OSU, WSU?

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

It would be funny?

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

I wouldn’t say the Ducks (and Huskies) would have “NO” bargaining power.  They still have the “either invite us, or we’ll take our brand to the SEC instead” bargaining chip.  The SEC had already been rumored to be considering UO if further expansion makes sense.  

Kirk Herbsteit was saying expansion will be likely until there are 2 super conferences that have been saturated at ~ 50 teams.  If that happens, it’s safe to say they’d make the cut.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Utah is definitely talking to the big 12. I guarantee they also reached out to the BIG and SEC. whether or not they are meeting today, who knows.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I personally wouldn’t leave out the conversations with the ACC…but that’s just me.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

This doesn’t get any attention. Any info you can give OnlyU?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Tv markets combined in the ACC and PAC go well beyond what a merger with the Big12 would bring. Buys time for ACC buyouts to become more manageable and then the big merge. Allows ND to stay Indy for the time being as well so there’re not forced into anything which they hate! ESPN knows this and George knows they know this which is how he got approval to open tv negotiations today.

We get to keep playing the big boys but remain in the West minus a few crossover trips to ACC Country and vice versa. Meanwhile our population and tv market continues to grow. Much more manageable than the mistake USC has taken on with their knee jerk reaction and all the travel that will comes with it. I’ve heard they killed Oregon to the B10…sick of losing LA kids to the Ducks so don’t want them in the league and that might be their biggest mistake because no western pod for 6-8 years and who in the Pac doesn’t want to screw the Trojans??!! Now I think there is a chance SC is going to have to reconsider that but now that we have another option I’m not sure Oregon would need to move.

One other thing. For all your TDS friends and relatives beating you up about this just remind them that It took us all of 3 days, after the news, to have a floor that was the Big12. A conference TDS tried unsuccessfully for years to get into and finally got a chance after the 2 top teams left. Most thought it will end up being a G5 type league regardless of who they brought in. They want us bad…they never really wanted them but were forced to make a move even though it meant adding lower level teams.

Bottom line…George knows what he’s doing…he joined MGM in 2018 but prior
            to that all his experience was in media and to me what he’s building is clearly the best option for everyone involved (except maybe a few B12 teams).

kazute
              Ute Fan
              @kazute

This gives me hope. I have no idea what will happen, but absent a Big Ten invite, I really like the PAC affiliations and cities. I still feel like there is value in having my undergraduate degree institution associated with Stanford, CAL, UW, Colorado, Arizona, etc. But I understand it is about football markets.

Since the FOX bridge is now forever burned, I wonder if we will finally “sell” a portion of the PAC media company to ESPN that we were so set on keeping. I think it just made the PAC orphans with none of FOX/ESPN/CBS with any vested interest in us, other than the limited Tier 1 game rights that changed from week to week.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Thank you OnlyU. This actually makes the most sense. Canzano tweeted earlier today that Kliavkov is a genius but wouldn’t explain why. I understand the ESPN was caught off guard and it makes sense they would be willing to allow the ACC to merge with the PAC to form a third super conference. If this plays out, it will be the P3 instead of the P2. And to your point about byu fans, I have pointed that out to them several times, they just don’t get it. My hunch is the remaining big 12 teams are kicking themselves for inviting them when they did.

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

I saw something this morning on this very thought.  If the ACC and PAC 12 (10) merged it would make it an instant competitor for TV money with the Big 10 and SEC.  It would also turn the remants of the Big 12 after OU and Texas leave to a G5 level conference or force them to add on additional G5 teams to keep up with the other 3 super conferences.  ACC schools and PAC 12/10 schools are also compatible academically so the fit would be a natural.  I could also see them add 4 Big 12 teams (OK St, Kansas, Texas Tech, Baylor) to make them a 14 East and 14 West division conference.  

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

A white lie, “blatantly false” means they’re actually meeting tomorrow, not today.

GreatNorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @greatnorthernute

Absolutely no doubt that several Pac 12 schools are having at least informal talks with the Big 12.  It would be negligent not to explore options at this stage.

There is also no doubt that Kliavkoff is in talks with ESPN on viable scenarios that keep the remaining Pac schools in the same conference.  Could be a full merger with the ACC or Big 12 or something else.  Assuming the Big Ten door is truly closed to UW and Oregon, I dont think anyone does anything until Kliavkoff at least presents ESPN’s offer.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Both reporters are correct. Utah is having talks with the Big 12 today, and Utah is also denying having talks with the Big 12 today.

And Utah is absolutely playing it smart with the doubletalk. They need to keep both parties on the line until the best situation presents itself.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who is telling the truth