Why I wouldn’t bet either side of this week’s game.

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Utah is picked to win by 21.5 points.  That’s a lot of points.  In my biased mind and based off what I have seen from the Utes the last few weeks – I think we could cover.  On the other side, Cal has only allowed more than 21 points once this season.  UW scored 19.  Let’s say we did as well as UW and scored three touchdowns and shut Cal out – we would still not cover.  Also, it is very hard to shut out any team because it is more than just your defense; i.e. turnovers, kick returns, blocked kicks, bad punts, penalties, etc.  All of these mistakes could lead to scores.  I would think, just off of field positions and other mistakes, that Cal will score about 10 points.  That means we would have to score 32 to cover.

Cal’s offense is not good, in part because of injuries.  However, their defense is very good and scores will not come easy.  We may be helped by our defense creating turnovers which could put us in scoring position.

So, if I had to bet (and I wouldn’t) I think I would bet against Utah covering even though in my heart I think they can.  If I was sure Huntley was 100%, I may feel differently.  I am very confident that we will win, I am just not sure we will cover and I know Whitt doesn’t care if we do or not.

Go Utes!

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Bet against Utah covering the spread.  Utah CAN cover it, but Utah does not NEED to.  We only need to win by 1-pt.  Whether or not Huntley is healthy, I’m betting the coaches aim to play conservatively, in order to preserve the health of as many impact players as possible, as we’ll be needing them more NEXT week, than we will be THIS weekend.

Utah has a long tradition of building up a comfortable lead, then milking the clock to expire the game.  And with that mentality, why would we need a 22-pt cushion?

astUTE
        Ute Fan
        @astute

THIS!!! was written by a long standing Ute fan!  It defines how Whit, thinks, coaches, and how the team plays.

Some games I agree with the thinking, and others, I don’t; but you can BET that this is the philosophy that Whitt will continue to embrace, as he is convinced that it is statistically and strategically correct.

I don’t bet, but this kind of thinking will make you a lot more money than the alternatives.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Black out and shut out with 15 sacks. Game over. 

Dante Guardi
      Ute Fan
      @danteg12

I got the under lol. 21-0 Utes🤷‍♂️

ManUte
        Ute Fan
        @manute

I love when people who don’t bet try to use betting terms 😉

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Game is cold and at altitude.  Their defense is in for a rough night.  This is where a steady run game can squeeze the life out of them.

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

Everyone bet all of your monies on the Utes!!!

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

Take Cal to cover for sure, if we’re up a couple of scores in the second half the backups are coming in because Cal’s offense isn’t scoring.
      Utes will get close to covering, but it probably won’t happen. Utah 17 Cal 0.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why I wouldn’t bet either side of this week’s game.