Will the SEC replace the NCAA

Viewing 5 reply threads

Daedalus17
      Ute Fan
      @daedalus17

A saw a rumor that the SEC is in contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State.

If this happened they would just be the first dominos to starting an entirely new league.

Maybe every conference collapses and the entire landscape is redrawn.

Pure speculation at this point.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Wouldn’t be surprised if this is true. I think the B1G would be wise to protect their turf by forming an alliance with the PAC. Everything could consolidate to 2 leagues: SEC and B1G, basically the semi-pro NFL version of the NFC and AFC.

Daedalus17
        Ute Fan
        @daedalus17

I think that if Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State agreed then there is only one other option to all other teams. Every team in every conference will want to be included so they are not left behind.

Pretend Ohio state, Michigan, Clemson, Florida State join. They won’t stop there.

You know USC, Washington, Oregon would join that if they were invited.

The only question remaining is how many more they invite in the remaining restructuring after all conferences have collapsed.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Honestly at that point and after USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington also join, I’m fine reorganizing the rest of S
      CFB to being what CFB should be. Let those schools go be semi pro and and the rest of us tell them to pound sand if they want to play ooc games. There are enough markets and viewers of the schools left out that there would still gobs of money to be made.

I know I wouldn’t watch a second of the super league. Not a single second. And the rest of us shouldn’t either.

Daedalus17
        Ute Fan
        @daedalus17

If their goal is to form a new new league, then i don’t think they stop at the premier teams. That is just the first step to get the conferences to crumble.

The real question is how many teams do they pick for their new league.

I think 64 is a nice round number that could make nice divisions.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

That number would be closer to 30 tops. Just like the NFL.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I am excited for the future!

Daedalus17
      Ute Fan
      @daedalus17

We have been hearing for a long time that the power 5 might break away from the NCAA. I think that is what is happening now.
      It think that part of breaking away from the NCAA is destroying. This article explains why. With the NCAA losing power it becomes the conference that regulates. With all conferences acting independently it’s a race to the bottom.
      With the fall of the NCAA the conferences have to fall too.
      The power 5 needs to form a United single conference.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/with-the-ncaas-authority-quickly-eroding-significant-change-is-ahead-for-major-college-sports/

1 2

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

It won’t be all the P5. It will be half of it and we won’t be inside.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Agree. Would not be surprised to hear at some point that USC, OU, UCLA, UW, Stanford, and maybe Cal have been at the table during these discussions. Hard to conceptualize how programs on the West Coast are going to logistically make it work. If the money is right, a couple extra hours on a plane traveling to and from the MidWest or South won’t be that big of a deal. Interesting times ahead for college football. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

It all depends on the number and who is driving the bus. If it’s the 64 that people are throwing out (4 @ 16 team conferences) Utah probably makes the cut. If it’s the 24 to 32 team SEC driven super league, there’s a very good chance Utah gets left out.

A true national super league is actually an interesting thought exercise because it depends on whether you prioritize market size, recent success, perceived status or traditional relationships. 32 teams, 4 divisions (North, South, East, West) could look something like this:

East: Miami, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Syracuse
        South: Alabama, Auburn, Louisiana State, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky
        North: Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State, Louisville
        West: USC, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Arizona State, Stanford, UNLV, Utah

7 games against your division, one game against each other division based on previous year record (i.e. West #5 would play other #5’s). 8 team playoff featuring top two in each division. More money, less games, any school in the club gets the best recruits because why would a 4/5 star go anywhere but the top 32 teams.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Will the SEC replace the NCAA