A thought on Huntley…

Viewing 6 reply threads

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

Tyler’s received some questioning/criticism from the media due to the simplicity of his throws and lack of playmaking with his arm. You’ll recall in the postgame after BYU he talked about how BYU was literally dropping 8 guys into coverage and so he had to just take what was given to him and check down. BYU adopted the same defensive strategy against USC, who has one of the best receiving corps in the country, and forced their QB into three picks costing them the game. 

If Tyler tries to force things and throws three picks against BYU, we probably would have walked out of the stadium with a similar result as USC. In retrospect, by showing maturity and taking what the defense was giving him and allowing Moss & co to punish BYU, Tyler played a huge role in guiding the team to a comfortable win. Shows a lot of maturity by Tyler and also great coaching by the staff in sticking to what was working even if it was ugly. 

It’s winning, not how you win, that is most important, and I think the contrast between how we approached BYU vs. USC, shows the competency of the coaching staff and maturity of a senior QB. A good reminder for me that next time I am frustrated with our conservative offensive approach that the staff has a winning formula and knows what they are doing. 

Go Utes!!!

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I don’t think the play was “ugly”.  The offense didn’t generate video game receiving stats, but it lead to comfortable win, no, really, it was a dominating win, especially in the 2nd half.   

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Joseph silverweig on Twitter had an interesting thread about efficiency and production and how huntley is efficient but not productive. People don’t know how to deal with that.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

It is like Alex Smith vs Kaepernick vs Mahommes argument. I may be biased but I take Smith. I prefer efficiency.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Mahommes though is efficient. Kaep wasn’t.

Sweetness
          Ute Fan
          @sweetness

Ummm….Mahommes is playing like a generational QB. His career is obviously so young, but if he sustains his play he will be talked about as an all time top 10/5 QB. I can’t allow a Smith vs. Mahommes take like that to show up on my thread and not call it out. Kaep on the other hand, you’ve got a point there.

salty-ute
            Ute Fan
            @salty-ute

LOL, right? Mahommes is unreal. Alex Smith was nothing like him at this point in his career. Anyone in their right mind would take Mahommes over Smith

Wilson’s Mustache
              Ute Fan
              @sigmaute

I’m as big of a Alex Smith fan as there is and I’m also a Chiefs fan. I thought the Chiefs staff were absolute morons, for not only trading up in the draft, but also drafting Mahomes over Watson.

Hindsight is 20-20 and I can’t believe how Patrick Mahomes has panned out. He’s and incredible talent and anyone that would take Alex Smith or any other QB over him is insane.

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees are all better QBs, but we likely haven’t seen the best from Mahomes yet and could be at the same level when his career is all over.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Here’s the ncaa fficiency rating. This is Whitt’s measure.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Correct you are Sweetness!  “How” one wins is of far less significance that “if” one wins.  And there’s nothing wrong with a QB serving in a “game manager” capacity.  Not even when said QB might actually be an “elite” one.  Because “wins” trumps “style”.  Alex Smith made a very successful career out of this style of QB play.  And I hope the Eagles take notice of that if/when he’s finally ready to suit up again.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Game managers win super bowls. Anybody reminded of the 2012 Ravens teams with Joe Flacco? TH is a great game manager. His decisions so far have made me real happy, and he’s even had several really explosive vertical plays, with absolute money throws. No complaints from me. Just win baby!

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Some of the media can’t understand, some can. The reason for that is many in the local media are Y fans. That means they can’t process doing just what is needed to win, they would be doing everything they can, every moment, trying to chase every possible statistic. They even believe Utah ran out of gas on the last drive at the Y and took a tired knee. Part of this lack of understanding comes from no idea at all what it is like to play a P5 schedule. They look at a sprint of less than half a P5 schedule and believe what they say when claiming the most difficult schedule in the country. When ‘your campus is your world’ your understanding is 80% the Y and 20% only the teams the Y plays. This half of the media can only understand from the Y’s perspective.

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

Any thoughts on Lisk as #2 after seeing him? Somebody claimed that Shelley asked the coaches to put Lisk @ #2 so he could see some game time reps. Wondering what the future looks like for shelley?

A somewhat related note, Indiana’s starter (Penix) went out with injury two weeks ago and Tuttle has seen the field for garbage time in 2 games. His stats seem very mediocre and he maintains his spot as #3 on the depth chart…

Seems like we ended up with the best situation possible with the Rising transfer. Just hoping Shelley sticks around, I think he’s a talented QB.

Sweetness
        Ute Fan
        @sweetness

Personally I think it’s strange. Shelley came in and without Moss won games against Oregon, BYU, and Colorado on the road. He wasn’t spectacular in the title game or bowl game, but Huntley wasn’t great against Washington either last year, and he deserves a pass for the bowl game because he was playing lights out until the monsoon rolled in.

I have no inside knowledge, but on the surface I think Lisk being made #2 has to do with more than just football reasons.

salty-ute
          Ute Fan
          @salty-ute

Agreed… I’m struggling to make much sense of it. Lisk didn’t look any better in game than what we’ve seen from Shelley. I almost feel like you have more to lose by pushing Shelley back in the depth chart as opposed to letting the former Walk-on stay 3rd string.

When you say ‘more than just football reasons’, is it an attitude thing or am I missing something?

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A thought on Huntley…