Any News Coming Out of Football Spring Practice

Viewing 8 reply threads

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

anything?

Anonymous reports?

I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend?

Speculation/hyperbole/fabrications/out right lies?

I’m nost sure how much more UTEBASKETBALLHUB in can take.

🙂

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

Lol .. so done with basketball

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Haha! Post of the day honors definitely goes to you @waybackutefan thanks!

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Other than Charlie Brewer being a beast nothing too new to discuss.

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

If the news about Charlie Brewer is accurate, that’s good enough to hold me over until September.

4 3

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

How confident are we that Brewer isn’t Bentley 2.0? I skimmed through Bartle’s article on the 2 grad transfers being totally different but the stats in there sure looked similar. I get that CB led his team to 1 really good year where Bentley’s best finish was 7-6. But who’s to say Brewer wasn’t surrounded by a much better team than Bentley? I guess I’m not ready to drink the Brewer Koolaid just yet.

tanute3
          Ute Fan
          @tanute3

Agree with this. I’m still quite high on Cam Rising and hope that he gets a fair shot. Would rather have Rising for the next 2-3 years over 1 with Brewer if they are close enough in talent

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

247 just posted about this exact topic.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

My bad, I thought it was Bartle’s article on 247, it was by Bagley. But my point is still the same. Completion %’s are very similar, number of interceptions very similar…only difference I was seeing was Brewer had 1 great team year whereas Bentley didn’t.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Gamec**ks went 9-4 with Bentley as the starter in 2017.

4 12

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I have ZERO confidence that he’ll be anything other than Bentley 2.0. ZERO ZERO ZERO

I refuse to believe he’s anything more than that until he shows out vs USC/UW/UO/ASU (not all of those, but at least half of the upper tier teams we play).

Same goes for every other QB on the roster. At this point, it’s foolish to think we’ll have anything better than below average QB play. that’s only happened one year since we joined the Pac12. 

It’s not just a QB issue either. I have zero confidence in Harding’s ability to have our OL ready to pass block long enough to give a QB time to throw against the above mentioned teams. 

I’ll believe it when I see it, and not a moment before.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

K-Whitt appears to have bought in on Brewer in a way he never did with Bentley. In Whitt I trust.

1 3

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

That is coach speak until I see it on the field. Is he talking up the oline’s pass block?

Ute Dub
                Ute Fan
                @chestercopperpot

I guess you shouldn’t make any comments about anything then until you see it on the field, right, if that’s your attitude?  As far as the rest of us, we’re going to talk and enjoy posting what we learn. K-whitt never talked up Bentley, AND Bentley wasn’t even the guy. Rising, who had almost zero experience won the job over Bentley. K-Whitt has talked that Rising is in the mix in the fall but that Brewer is way ahead of all other current candidates. So yeah, we’ll continue to talk from what we’ve learned.

Also, why are you changing the subject to the o-line? Not confident in discussing the QB position directly? 

noneyadb
                  Ute Fan
                  @noneyadb

Whitt was super high on Ty Jordan last year, and he was a stud, RIP.  Maybe Brewer is pretty special, the article on utezone was terrible, but every QB is only as good as the guys up front and there really isn’t much coming out about how well they’re/aren’t doing.

Ute Dub
                    Ute Fan
                    @chestercopperpot

Apparently Nick Ford is sticking at Center over Umana because the O-line vastly improved in the trenches when he moved there after Uman was hurt. It looks like they’ve found their best 5. I wonder how Umana graded in the P12 Championship game against Oregon. That front 5 did not play well. 

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

It’s accurate. CR can still give him a run. But at this point I would be surprised if it wasn’t Brewer. The kid eat, sleeps greatness. He’s a winner and super competitive and humble. Bentley may have been good. His spring was cut short and he didn’t have time to get the system down. That’s all Brewer is doing right now.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Huge CR fan. Problem is his lack of experience combined with all the injury time-off makes it a tough road to come back out and compete right away. CR has six career pass attempts as a D1 QB. I hope CR remains patient this next year. QB is wide-open after next year for CR to make his mark.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Lol, let’s trust the guy who was tooting Bentley’s horn all off-season, no thanks. Bentley was doggy poopoo, and so was the pass blocking.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

This morning Kyle said that Bernard had the best 1st day of live ball out of the 3 RB currently on campus, which would put him in the lead for the RB1 spot. That is something I guess. I was impressed with him, and would have been super excited last year for him had Ty not been so damned good.

ugh… I still can’t believe Ty is gone. I can’t help but think of that every time the RB postion is mentioned.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

That’s great about Bernard, but what does that say about Pledger and Curry?? Are they a bit overhyped? I’ve been hoping to hear great things about Pledger coming out of Spring camp…nothing yet?

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

More than anything I think it says Bernard is a legit talent that we have possibly underestimated.  

At the same time, it wouldn’t be the first time we as fans, like any other fans, overhype a transfer.  There are reasons why players transfer.  We get amped about transfers based on their HS performance and rating while overlooking their college performance and in some cases (both Pledger and Curry) inability to win a starting job.

Personally, I think Pledger is legit, but I’m not sold on Curry.  His 3 yards per carry has to get better.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Anecdotally, I can add that a friend who attends practice everyday never raves about Bentley and thought Rising would beat him out last summer.

He raves about brewer too. Fwiw

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Nice to get first hand reports on QB performance. The KW coaches speak on QB indecision has become silly. I guess it’s an old school thing to act like there is a tight battle for QB with no announcement until game time to keep the first team on the schedule guessing. Clearly it was not as close as KW lead on. Cheering for Rising to have a solid recovery and come back.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Meyer used to use early comments to motivate players. Why do we not think Whitt does that. Brewer was considered the front runner because he’s a four year starter and has led a Sugar Bowl winning team. The other running backs are probably being kept hungry by the incumbent being treated as the leader. Bernard is good but seems too early to be treating anyone else as a presumptive starter. We’re like a week and half into spring. Overall I’m pretty stoked for this year. Is it too late to land another WR?

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Whitt has said numerous times that they will go hard after WR transfers in the summer when guys inevitably enter the portal after spring ball.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Any News Coming Out of Football Spring Practice