Best and Easiest Way to ensure NIL does not ruin CFB

Viewing 1 reply thread

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Adjust the transfer rules back to how they used to be (must sit out a year), but, create an exception for if your head coach leaves. 

Where the NIL will 100% destroy CFB is if 3* athletes that sign at small schools get developed into stars and then transfer to the big programs for big checks. Parity is already a huge problem in CFB. What i just described will make it even worse. 

Make transferring painful and kids will think twice about leaving. It will at least give the smaller schools a fighting chance at retaining the diamonds in the rough they are able to develop to help them stay somewhat competitive. It also still allows kids to make NIL money, which I think is good and important. 

Change my mind. 

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

If you’re looking for a counter-point, I would suggest that we shouldn’t try saving CFB by placing restrictions on the players.  The benefits the players receive is still nominal compared to the ebnefits that schools receive . . . especially those schools that will attract the most transfers seeking big NIL $$$.

A better approach might be to require schools to pay a fee or penalty for each incoming transfer it receives.  That could have the effect of slowing down the transfer trend.  The money generated from the fee/penalty could be used for some purpose that will benefit the long-term well-being of student athletes.

Just a thought.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

I don’t like that alternative because what that effectively means is that the blue bloods will eat that penalty without batting an eye while smaller schools will be more likely to think twice or be unable to foot the bill. So, again, the rich get richer. 

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

The combo of NIL and transfer portal in its current state is not going to be good for a lot of football programs on the outside of the money bag game. If this continues to run wild, guessing future conference alignment takes on a country club structure inclusive of the top 20-30 programs with the highest media revenue generation and deepest alumni pockets. Unless something gives, many current solid D1 programs not in the money bag NIL game become free agent developmental, recruiting platforms for USC, Texas, etc through the pay to play transfer portal. Enjoy every minute of the 2022 season of Utah football and the current young, developing players in the program.

Swinging from the off season arm QB chair again :). NFL needs to step in and control the end game by setting up a similar system like Hockey and Baseball allowing top althletes professional options outside of college. Let’s be honest, the top level players destin for the NFL at Alabama, USC, Ohio State enroll in college because it’s the only path to the NFL they have right now. Create some form of a paid minor league, juniors type football program as an option.. Quit forcing these elite football kids to enroll in college for three years pretending it’s about academics. Give top atheletes or any others with the NFL dream a paid, market driven, developmental option outside of being handed cash to stoke the egos of the rich alumni, coaches, and school administrators at these colleges. Point is, the NCAA has become powerless turning it into an out of control gold rush. Have to think the NFL has an eye on what’s going on and the impact to their own money bag game. Who knows what will really happen. College football will carry on in one form or another. 

Go Utes!

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I like your idea, but is there going to be a market for minor league football? I only watch college because I feel a connection to Utah. If that goes away, I have no reason to watch.

dystopiamembrane
              Ute Fan
              @dystopiamembrane

Do you mean that you won’t watch Utah sports, football, in particular, unless they are in the top-tier? For me, I would watch my alma mater even if they were in NJCAA D-III.

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

No. I mean who would pay to watch minor league football? Is there a market for it? There may be, I just don’t know anyone that would be very interested in it.

dystopiamembrane
                  Ute Fan
                  @dystopiamembrane

I understand. I’d think that there is always a market for sports, especially in towns without an already sucessful product. People with families enjoy bringing their loved ones to sporting events. A bonus with minor league sports is the less significant hit to the pocket.

UTEopia
        Ute Fan
        @uteopia

Just as there are limits on the number of scholarships a school can give in a year, there should be a limit on the number of portal transfers. This would protect some kids from getting pushed out the door and also put some limits on schools.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Best and Easiest Way to ensure NIL does not ruin CFB