Breakout Player Prediction

Viewing 10 reply threads

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

It’s been quiet around here lately. Guess that’s the off-season for you.

Give me your prediction on the top breakout player this year. So many to choose from!

Mine is Vaki on D. Dude was trending up like crazy at the end of the season. I think he could be a big playmaker for us and gives our D a ton of different looks.

For offense, I think it’s JJ. He really improved last year and is a great athlete.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I feel like both Vaki and Jackson are expected to be team leaders and starters this year so they’ve already had their breakout. I’ve got my eye on Medlock pushing past Karene Reid by season’s end and Money Parks being the top pass-catcher (non-Kuithe division).

5 2

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I like the Medlock prediction. Karene Reid just isn’t quite cutting it athletically IMO. Medlock would be great.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Reid is solid and steady, but he’s not a freak athlete. Would be wowed if Medlock beat him out by seasons end. Do they play the same LB position or is Medlock playing Landers role? 

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

I love the Vaki pick and prediction. There is no question he takes a big step. I think Lander Barton becomes dominant and would be my choice.

On offense I’m with you – JJ must breakout for this team to be special. I sure hope Yassmin takes another step. Last season wasn’t a breakout year for him necessarily but he became an impact player. If he can do everything better this season, the tight end group will remain dominant because we know what Kuithe is.

1 1

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Agreed. Yassmin taking the next step could be big for us. Need to get him the ball and let him out-physical the defense with his rugby background. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Not’s not quiet when users post good questions and start conversations!

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Jaquinden consistently catching the ball out of the backfield could be a game and season changer. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I almost said the same thing with my pick. Agreed 100%. 

5 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

My out of the box breakout player prediction #1: Miki Suguturaga – I don’t think he’ll play a ton (unless someone gets hurt, which is honestly quite likely), but I think he’ll be used in short yardage and redzone situations and he’ll catch a handful of very important balls (several TDs) on simple routes that the defense is not expecting.

#2: Zamaiah Vaughn – He is super long and fast. If he and Battle can both be NFL ready this season that would be a massive boon for a defense that struggled at times with getting pressure on the QB last year.

Vaughn is 6 ft 3, and has even longer arms (6 ft 7 or 8 inch arms). Battle is 6 ft 4, and I is long as well. If those two can get it together technique wise, we will be ready to shut down teams like USC.

Both of my picks have a history of struggling with the technique of their current positions (for obvious reasons that are out of their control, especially for Miki), but if they can make even minor improvements there, they will be very impactful for our team.

Like I said, out of the box. No real reason to expect any of this other than my own hopes and dreams for this team.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I like your Zemiah Vaughn pick. He’s always had the tools physically and has had some big moments. If he can put the mental piece together, he could be big time this year. 

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @utebiquitous

Zemiah Vaughn is a terrific pick. The mental piece/technique is big for him but I also think his toughness disappears at times. That may be more mental because toughness is there at times but then it just isn’t some downs. I know that Scalley loved his toughness as a high school player (I think he was a quarterback) so hopefully it becomes a strength as his mental game and technique become second nature.

ArcheryUte
      Ute Fan
      @craig

“Give me Money Parks for $300, Bob!”

I like money parks getting additional opportunities with some of the recent departures and flashes he showed last season. Will he be a world beater? No. But I do think he will provide a solid #2 or #3 WR option that will surprise a lot of people and teams.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I almost said Parks as well, but when you look at his stats, it’s hard to imagine he’ll be more productive than he was last year when you consider the other guys. He had over 400 yards of receiving. It is certainly possible to eclipse that mark, but I kind of hope he doesn’t, as long as that means others are getting more touches (Vele, Pittman, dude from oklahoma, kuithe, JJ, Bernard…).

fosternano
          Ute Fan
          @fosternano

I agree, it’ll be tough to really get a lot of catches unless you are Kuithe. Utah is getting some depth in both TE and WR.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see most games Kuithe getting 8-10 catches, 5-6 other guys getting 1-3 catches and not much in between.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

Yep, the way our offense is run, and the way Rising plays, there simply aren’t enough touches for the second wide receiver (or 3rd) to get more than 500 yards receiving in a season. I don’t think Kuithe cames back if he doesn’t believe he’s going to be option number 1 on virtually every passing down.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I think JJ is a freak athlete, and could be in the Heisman conversation if Utah is in the CFP race in the last few weeks of the season.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Cam Rising and Brandt Kuithe on the OHffense and Lander Barton and Van Fillinger on the D!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I agree on JQJ. 

Defense will be O’Toole or Barton.  

Special teams will be our kicker I hope. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I want to se Barton terrorizing offenses. 

Utesby1
        Ute Fan
        @garykennedy

My breakout picks would be Logan Fano on defense and Pittman on offense. If Cam continues to lock on to a receiver, it might as well be Pittman.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Breakout Player Prediction