Cam Injury

Viewing 6 reply threads

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

What is the general opinion regarding timeline for Cam returning from his injury? I’ve seen lots of discussion for both sides: some saying he’ll be ready game 1, others saying sometime mid season.

2 6

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Do we have someone from Utah physio on this forum to provide an answer?

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I heard Cam say that he will be ready for camp in August and ready to play in game 1.  

Is that wishful thinking on his part or has the surgeon and therapist told him that he “can” be ready to play based on their experience?  I don’t know.

I hope he is ready to play at 100%.  But, what I do know is that we had better have a solidified number 2 ready to play.  We start the season with two challenging games.  We need to be ready to hit the ground running.  I appreciate what Barnes has done for this team, but I think he has hit his ceiling.  I believe we will need more if we expect to win the first two games (without Cam).

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

We need NJ up-to-speed & ready to go as QB2, regardless.

3 7

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

The season doesn’t start for 6 months. Given the transfer portal, anything could happen in that time.

1 1

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

I understand how the portal works….But we have NJ/BR already….Doubtful we lure better prospects out of the portal AND those potential transfers aren’t likely to signup for backing up CR once he returns.

2 8

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

The right transfer might find CR backing them up.

4 1

D T
              Ute Fan
              @azute1

Your incessant need to get in the last word is remarkable.

CR’s the starter if he’s able to play no matter who else is on the roster, period.

SoCalUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @socalutefan

We just need someone steady

SoCalUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @socalutefan

Rumor is NJ will never start, he’s not a very accurate passer and the Offense doesn’t have confidence in him, that’s why he didn’t start over Barnes last year. They want to use him in various capacity however, he’s refused to do anything other than QB. Brandon Rose is apparently turning heads, the kid can run and has a cannon for an arm.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think we won’t know until after spring ball when the next wave of transfers happen. If Cam seems to be healing well and on time to play, we won’t go get another QB. 

If we bring in a QB post spring ball, then Cam’s recovery might be on the less optimistic side. 

5 4

Ted Lasso
      Ute Fan
      @tedlasso

The good news is that Cam will likely be ready to play by game 1. The bad news is that he’s likely not going to be the same QB he was pre-injury. But an 80% Cam is still better than the alternative QBs they currently have on the roster.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Last sentence is highly speculative and assumes a lot. I can also speculate that Utah could bring in a qb or Johnson could “rise” up. Giggity

Edit: I also don’t have to go back very far for an example. Huntley took over for Williams. Who was a captain just like Rising.

1 1

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

I don’t believe you have an understanding of who our alternatives are….They might lack experience, but they’re extremely high in talent….That’s why Spring & Fall Camps are paramount in prepping them.

3 1

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Ted Lasso probably has a pretty good understanding of our backup QB situation. I think it’s fair to say Cam at 80% is probably better than the others at 100%.

1 1

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

You must’ve read a different comment than I did to conclude what you did.

Ted Lasso
          Ute Fan
          @tedlasso

Yeah I didn’t mean that as a dig on the backup QBs, I’m sure they are really good. I’m just really high on Cam Rising. I mean he did lead y’all to back-to-back P12 champs so personally I would want him leading the team again even if he isn’t completely himself yet. They say that ACL tears really take about 2 years to fully heal.

But yeah I could have worded what I said better. I promise I’m not a troll lol

SoCalUteFan
            Ute Fan
            @socalutefan

Nah ACL 8-9 months 

Ted Lasso
              Ute Fan
              @tedlasso

Nah mate it’s 8-9 months to get back on the field but it takes longer to fully come back mentally and physically 

cj13
        Ute Fan
        @cjohnsen13

Can was already 80% after the USC game while wearing a brace. I hope his leg injury won’t affect his throwing ability. If he’s the same Cam we saw after the first USC game then he’s still the best on the roster.

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

Same type of injury as Britain Covey. Both people are real competitors, so Covey’s return to 100% may be a good estimate of when Cam will be back to full speed.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I we judge by Covey, Cam will not be ready to play at full speed next season.  Covey got hurt in December 2018.  He was not ready to play at 100% the following November when Utah opened the 5-game 2020 season.  By game 4 or 5 – he seemed to be playing closer to full speed.  But, I don’t think he was really healthy until the beginning of the 2021 season.

Utesby1
          Ute Fan
          @garykennedy

Rising is a QB. The demands on his knee are nowhere near the same as the demands on a receiver, running back, or lineman.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.