CBS Sports: Colorado doing due diligence on move to BIG12

Viewing 9 reply threads

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

CBS Sports Article: Colorado holds ‘substantive’ talks with Big 12 as Buffaloes consider leaving Pac-12

From the article, it seems that it’s a lot off huff about nothing substantive as of yet, but where there’s smoke…

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

whatever… None of this means anything. When anything that actually matters happens, we will all know about it within hours of it happening and there won’t be any question about whether or not it actually happened.

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

Article is authored by Dennis Dodd, who’s been floating rumors for a long long time. Other media have singled him out as being a self serving propaganda machine.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

This is correct.  However, the part of that article that concerns me the most, is this part…

Big 12 commisioner Brett Yormark…had no comment.”

Yormark is the kingpin source of all that misinformation that’s been bandied about since last fall.  And now, all of a sudden, he has nothing to say???  It seems to me that if there were any truth to CU’s wavering intentions, that would be the point where Yormark would want to keep quiet — for fear of Kliavkoff directly addressing CU’s concerns enough to convince them to stay.

Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.  CU may have been an extremely poor football program, but I actually like Colorado, and would want them to remain our partner.  And besides, I expect CU is going to become a lot more successful in the coming years — well worth retaining.

4 2

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Eh. Yormark is a blowhard and he knows what his goal is: To make the Big 12 relevant. Right now, it’s not. As soon as expansion starts up again in 2028, every single Big 12 team will be looking to jump ship. I don’t think any of them get offers to join another conference, but they will all be looking to upgrade. 

He wants to get PAC-10 fans antsy and to over-react and have some big boosters put some stupid pressure to join the Big 12, so he says…or doesn’t say…the things he needs to say…or not say…to make him look better. 

I wouldn’t read anything into it. 

4 7

DrJazzy
            Ute Fan
            @docute

This is such an ignorant (alright dumb) take. They are the 2/3rd best bball conference. Their football team just played in the NC game. Oh, and objectively they have the 3rd best television deal out of the P5’s. Yet they are irrelevent? Does that even make sense? 

The P10 is on life support. Luckily, I trust our leadership – if it looks like the end is coming, we’ll have a backup plan to be in a relevent conference ie B12. 

4 1

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

You are the guy Yormark is looking to get all riled up. And he succeeded. 

Look, there is no big brand in the Big 12. Hell, if Utah went to the Big 12, they’d be one of the, if not the most recognizable brand there. Who is going to carry that conference in 2028? Baylor? TCU? Houston? BYU? Bwahahahahahahaha. 

In 2028, every Big 12 team will be trying to leave. Whether it’s to get into the B1G or SEC or join Texas’ new conference. 

It is what it is. Do you honestly think a conference that just added 4 G5 schools that aren’t even that good at any sport is a stable conference? Give me a break. Like, seriously. 

DrJazzy
                Ute Fan
                @docute

You are 100% a BYU fan in disguise. Nice try – but super obvious. Good luck to your team in the B12, pretty sure we’ll join you guys soon. Will be fun to stretch that win streak out – maybe get it to double digits this time, and will be super meaningful since it’s conference games. 

PS: As someone who has lived in various major cities – trust me, the overall view of BYU, if it isn’t indifference, is that its a weird ass place. B12 will soon realize how arrogant and borderline racist BYU fans are, so be prepared for lots of hate. And thank god I went to a university where I could have consensual sex with impunity and enjoyed my college experience. 

1 2

mesovanhorny
      Ute Fan
      @mesovanhorny

I assume (and hope) that Utah is also working on contingency plans should the Pac12 TV deal evaporate or if the conference implodes.  I hope it’s not with the Big12, but I’d be surprised if our admin isn’t also exploring various options should it all go even further south.

One thing I think everyone here can agree upon:  we need to be able to watch our Utes.  The Pac12 Network sucks, especially if you don’t live in Utah.

8 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I keep hearing about how awful it is to be in the PAC-12 because no one can see us. My opinion? It’s not that big of a deal. 

We were in the WAC where no one saw us. We joined the MWC and got the MWC network…where no one could see us. 

Then we jumped to the PAC-12 and with the Directv issues…no one could see us. 

No one has ever been able to see us and we still kick everyone’s asses. 

It would be nice to play at 4 PM MST every Saturday where everyone can see us, but it won’t make or break us. 

It’s a lot of handwringing over nothing. The reality is, most college football fans are like me: 

I grew up in Ohio as an Ohio State fan and went to Utah. I watch every Utah game. I watch Ohio State when they play a good team. I haven’t watch USC or any other PAC-12 team outside of Utah games for years. I haven’t seen an SEC game in years. As far as I know, Mack Brown still coaches Texas. 

College football is a regoinal sport and as much as ESPN is trying to turn it into the NFL, I don’t need NFL.  I have NFL (GO BIRDS!). College football is about the pride I have in my school and watching my school kick the spoiled children of USC’s asses, the self righteous pricks down south, and so on. 

This idea that we are all competing for first place in college football…it’s a fantasy. We aren’t. And as much as we pretend we are…we aren’t. It is what it is. We can beat any team on any given day. But to beat Ohio State then Alabama in the playoffs? Without top 10 recruiting classes? 

It’s not gonna happen. It sucks, but it is what it is. 

The point is this: Utah will be fine. We’ve always been fine. 

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Yawn. I’m interested if the B1G TV contract debacle gives pause to USC and UCLA jumping ship. The part about the B1G trying to sell it’s bowl inventory to CBS that it already sold to Fox is hilarious and embarrassing. Fox be like, “the f**k you are!”

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

USC/UCLA jumping ship is a done deal. Losing a measley $3.5m won’t change that. The main thing to look out for there is NBC having open slots

1 1

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Hard to say what this means. It’s pretty solid smoke… But at this point there’s been smoke for months and nothing has come of it.

Realistically, I think every single team in the PAC should be doing due diligence on other landing spots. That’s not because it’s inevitable that the PAC falls apart, it’s still not likely.  But just the fact that the possibility exists means every team should be considering other plans – or at least figuring out what is out there. Can’t begrudge anyone doing that

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

This you?

“They’re the anti-Utah. Utah is good at football (and apparently sports in general this year) and has a fairly passionate (though often obnoxious) fanbase that shows up (as seen in viewership and attendance)…but lacks history, has a mediocre market and has to share it.”

just trying to live up to my often obnoxious fandom. 

krindor
          Ute Fan
          @krindor

Yes, that’s me. And I’ll admit that there’s some obnoxious Utah fans out there – especially if you’re looking on Twitter. Utah’s certainly not alone in that regard of course, but my point was more that, whether you like the Utah fanbase or not (most BYU fans don’t, I generally do), it’s inarguable that Utah has an engaged passionate fanbase that is generally more involved than Utah.

And I do think Utah and Colorado are an interesting comparison because they’re of similar value, but so different that their relative values can depend greatly on what factors are most important to the judge

Waybackutefan
            Ute Fan
            @waybackutefan

ok fair enough, just wasn’t sure the Kindors Kindorrs were the same guy. 

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

This you?

“They’re the anti-Utah. Utah is good at football (and apparently sports in general this year) and has a fairly passionate (though often obnoxious) fanbase that shows up (as seen in viewership and attendance)…but lacks history, has a mediocre market and has to share it.”

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

This you?

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

This you?

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

This you?

Waybackutefan
        Ute Fan
        @waybackutefan

This you?

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Maybe stop hitting the back button or refreshing and re-posting the comment… #facepalm. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Dennis Dodd be like:

I particularly like the buttressing of Sanders to the Colorado program. Coach Prime is the Cathedral of Colorado football at this point. 

4 1

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

DD’s a complete hack.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I particularly love the first two paragraphs. It reads like most media articles on any subject where they want to make s**t up.

At first it is a source. Singular. Then later it is multiple sources.  Obviously more than one because multiple right?  But it is phrased in such a way to be vaguely accurate still. I mean you can say a singular source is saying for sure Colorado has had more talks than the ones that have been going on from all teams. But it is supposedly “substantive”.
        Not knocking you @leftyjace but it is amusing to me. 

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Sure but wasn’t that like  the spin a few  weeks ago with Washington and Oregon? They had passed vetting by the Big10? Now it’s CU talking to the B12.

a new week another rumor. 

who knows go Ites!!!

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

CBS has been spouting this crap from the beginning and it never happens

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 CBS Sports: Colorado doing due diligence on move to BIG12