Charlie Brewer & 2021?

Viewing 4 reply threads
      3 3

mesovanhorny
      Ute Fan
      @mesovanhorny

I’m trying to understand what the coaching staff saw in Brewer last year to designate him as the preseason starting QB over Cam.  I wasn’t there in camp and don’t have any insight into the why’s and how’s.  

Anyone else have a legit take? Maybe someone with connections to the program?  You go watch the early season games with Brewer vs. the games later with Rising and as a fan, there’s a marked difference between those two.  But I’m also just watching from a big screen, not the sideline.  I’d love to know how Charlie distinguished himself vs Cam last summer in camp.

Either way, I’m delighted that Cam is here and that he kicks such tremendous butt.  Go Utes.

1 2

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Charlie Brewer’s 2021 summed up into one play.

THEeyepatch
        Ute Fan
        @theeyepatch1

…and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! Hilarious.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

If I remember correctly they were pretty neck and neck in the QB competition through fall camp. Brewer’s experience is what gave him the edge over Cam. There were still a ton of questions about Cams ability to perfom coming off his shoulder injury. I completely understand why they chose Brewer over Cam last fall and my money says if they were in the same place they’d make the same decision. 

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I agree, also, I wonder if the worse thing that could have happened to Brewer, did happen. He went 15 of 15 in the spring game even though 6-7 plays were clear no touch sacks and the HYPE machine got out of control. The media, especially the national media started the adulations and that overhype can set a player up for a a rude awakening.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Also, let’s not forget Braeden Daniels switch to Right Tackle made a huge difference for our O-Line protection vs. Simi Moala at Right Tackle…Moala didn’t even last on the team much longer after that.

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

It was due to Cam’s injury. . .  The team wanted him as team captain for a reason and I am sure the coaching staff knew Cam was the man.  He was not fully recovered from his surgery/injury, so they protected him.  Brewer was the insurance policy.   You can see it in the throws he made early, especially against SDSU. He only threw short passes. As the season progressed Cam made better deep ball throws as he became stronger.  In interviews this year he said he was only at aobut 80% last season. I am sure the coaching staff was protecting Cam as long as they could by not playing him earlier and limiting the long ball.  When Brewer couldn’t deal with the blitz they had to make a change. Not to mention the leadership or lack thereof.   Interestingly, BYU never blitzes but they did crazy in the 2021 game.

This year will be different, we’ll see better accuracy and deeper throws.  Cam is the man!

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I believe you are correct with Cams injury. The coaches did not misjudge anything. Cam has said now that his arm was getting better through out the year, even better now, but was not well at the start of last season. The coaches were waiting for Cam to come along. I think Brewer also knew that as well, he was watching the process from a close distance. He played without emotion and was not talking like every other QB. He was watching Cam’s recovery and knew this was going to be Cam’s team and soon. Whitt said first thing Sunday morning after the SDS game Brewer asked to see him to tell him he was done. Whitt asked Brewer to sleep on it one more night and encouraged him to stay. Monday morning Brewer went into see Whitt to tell him he was done again. All the signs for me told me Cam was simply not yet ready and Brewer knew a healthy Cam was much better.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Yup, 100%.  This was an effort to protect Cam by the coaches.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Cam was 80% last season?  🙂

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

I did hear Cam say his arm is stronger than it was in the Rose Bowl. He also said it was much better in the Rose than it was when he first started playing last year.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I don’t think it was entirely just about protecting Cam. Hindsight it sure seems that way. I also think they went with Brewer based on his performance in practice and his experience. It sure makes it seem like 5d chess but I am sure they recruited him, gave him a shot and Brewer walked seeing Cam taking over in that SDSU game. Mind you Utah had many other problems not named Brewer during that game. Cam for whatever reason sparked something in the whole team. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Charlie Brewer & 2021?