This hurts…

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Damn.

Andy
      Ute Fan
      @phatmanandy86

The moment I saw the rule for instant eligibility be made I had a strong feeling this was possible. Any sort of momentum we had going into next year is all but shot. I miss the good olde days of Runnin Utes basketball.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Also lost Coach Slocum to Washington.

Andy
      Ute Fan
      @phatmanandy86

What a s**tty day for Utah basketball

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute
      4 1

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Good riddance!!! He sucked and I never liked him! Way better off with out him! *sobs*

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We were screwed before but now we’re really screwed. Going to rough next season.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I’m going to wait and see who we pick up from the portal before I declare our cause lost.

Just like the football side of the portal, you always lose before you gain.

Andy
      Ute Fan
      @phatmanandy86

Yeah this is no bueno. Utah is going to be the laughing stock in the BIG12 in Basketball. Sucks to see how far it has fallen. I absolutely hate NIL and the lack of control there is. I’m all for players getting paid but there has to be a cap on either the player or the team “salary cap”

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

I personally had a lot of heartburn for the money that college sports was generating on the backs of adults who couldn’t share in the profit. That said, professional sports realized long ago that contracts mattered for stability of the league and gradually along the way the players bargained for free agency to provide a balance.
        The problem with NIL is it is like unlimited free agency all the time. There are no caps, no contracts, and not much for rules to speak of. I get, and agree, that the athletes deserved to get paid, but the NCAA has screwed this up royally and are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. The NIL money will dry up when the eyeballs disappear, then what have you got?

Kellso
      Ute Fan
      @kellso

Good luck Deivon. I enjoy watching your talents. P**sed, but good luck.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

It is unreasonable to blame this entirely on NLI.

Utah basketball as a program has been mishandled for some time. It is the only thing that can be controlled and it is poorly managed.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Utah is taking a plastic butter knife to a gun fight when it comes to NIL

Until Utah’s crimson collective for bball can get to a minimum of 3 million just count on a .500 or worse basketball program. Especially going into the big12

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

FedEx just gave $25 million to Memphis for NIL.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

College sports are turning into such a sick joke…this will be Smith’s fourth school in five years. I don’t have a problem with athletes transferring like any other student can, but what “student” trying to get any real degree goes to four name universities in five years? As in all things, when the guardrails are taken off, the extremes gain the ascendancy. Eventually the bubble is going to burst and all college sports are going to be rendered to the club level.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Good luck D Smith hope you get your bag$$. Can’t blame him blame the system. It would take me 10 years to earn that money working every day. The biggest wallet wins!! Sounds like real life and capitalism at its finest.

3 1

UteBrook
      Ute Fan
      @utebrook

As crappy as this is, Duke went to the elite 8 and has lost 7 to the portal.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

The difference is that Duke is a basketball blue blood and will easily replace those transfers with players as good or better. Utah doesn’t have that luxury and just lost its best player with any eligibility remaining. I don’t personally feel too bad about Smith’s departure since I never got attached to him but he will be missed.

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

Sucks but I’ll be honest. I haven’t felt really attached to Utah basketball probably since Bogut years. A few nice seasons here and there but we are a football school now and that’s been my focus of energy. It’s extremely difficult to be a school of both sports. And if you have to choose, as far as revenue, exposure and sustainability, football is most important. Put that NLI towards 🏈

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

Duke also has the best HS recruit coming in

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Hate this!!! Hate hate hate this!!

Then again, so far Utah Football is in the advantage due to the portal.

But I still hate this!!

Big Rick would be so p**sed with the current state of college athletics. Free agency. So annoying.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Although Utah MBB doesn’t have deep NIL pockets, I believe I’ve seen reported Utah MBB Collective has around $1.5M to spend. If Utah is unwilling to spend $600K or $650K to keep Deivon, that’s a big mistake IMO. PG is the most important position on the court. And Utah already has an outstanding one that you can build a team around. To let him walk out the door and replace him with an unknown to save $300K in NIL makes zero sense.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Ute Fan
          @jvhoofs

I agree MD. We can’t replace him. He knows the system and can get the Madsens some good looks. I love his energy and he plays hard. Pick up a couple of athletes for defense and we could have a decent team. What a joke NIL has become. Coach Smith handed him the keys to the car to run the team and now he wants a nicer car. I don’t blame him for wanting bags$$.

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

I know longer go on twitter, but I assume Deivon has not posted his departure on twitter as I have not see it anywhere. Is he giving Utah a continued opportunity to come up with the money or has he decided he is leaving regardless?

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Maybe. It wouldn’t be the first time a guy enters the portal and comes back to the same team. It just happened in Logan with Ian Martinez. He entered the portal on 3 April but decided to finish out his college career with Utah State.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Yes very common for players to test the waters of the portal and see what they can get either from a new suitor or give their existing program an opportunity to re-compete for their services.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

It also happened last year with Micah Bernard.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Deivon Smith enters the Portal