Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Ezra Ausar Crystal Ball

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      WasatchRanger
      Participant

This morning 247 gave Ezra Ausar from East Carolina a crystal ball prediction to transfer to the U.

92 rating as a transfer. Averaged basically 10 and 5 at ECU over the last two years. Seems like he would be a solid frontcourt pickup!

Link

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Appreciate the information.

Charlie
      Participant

Could possibly be an upgrade to the PF spot after all? Do we have as many as 2 open spots following this?

UTEopia
      Participant

We currently have 8 scholarship players. I suspect the Peat kid who played a little as a true freshman a year ago might be given a scholarship. Still need some guys.

Charlie
        Participant

Hard to say. I don’t know Bamisile and Teat status. Johnson, I think is a mission kid. I don’t know about Katoa. I expect Huang and Haddock are WOs. The four that played often and the portal guys are 8 so there may be more on scholarship?

RustyShackleford
      Participant

The rumor I have been seeing on X is that Utah basketball is waking up. Hopefully that is true

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Dude looks like a good pickup. He shot well enough from three last year (very small sample though, so likely only shoots when wide open). Good size. If we were staying in the PAC we would be a possible tourney team for sure. Not sure how we’ll do in the big 12 though.

Rick
        Participant

What “Tourney” are you talking about? You are telling me that this team coming in is better than last year’s team? That is an insane position.

1 3
      markleone
      Participant

I’ll believe it when I see it.
      Craig Smith can’t close worth a damn.

Minnesota Ute
      Participant

Not sure if I should even get my hopes up, looks like he has a lot of lines in the water. Any intel on why he might land at Utah as opposed to any of the other 9 (and others) schools he is “in contact with”?

WasatchRanger
        Participant

I’ve been keeping tabs on him – outside of this Crystal Ball (and a random article from Athlon Sports) there hasn’t been any news on him since the crystal ball.

AZUTE
      Participant

Utah basketball is an absolute train wreck right now. Don’t be surprised if Smith has trouble filling all the spots available and the available coaching position.

There is a lot of infighting going on between all parties involved and the hiring of Andre Miller which was an absolute lock as of last week is now not gonna happen.

It’s bad folks really bad.

Get ready for a 10 win season and a new Coach in 2025

WasatchRanger
        Participant

I wasn’t aware that the Andre Miller thing was anything more than an article from local news – was there traction to hire him as coach?

FountainofUte
      Participant

I’d seen Twitter rumors about the Miller things. None of it was ever explicit or details, but putting two and two together seemed like he’d be an assistant on the staff.

I’m not sure how I feel about it. It may have made some boosters happy. That’s probably the biggest plus and galvanizing of our NIL.

As for recruiting, I have no idea what kind of pull Andre would have. His time was so long ago, and even then he was such a quiet presence. Stars “going home” to coach at their alma mater doesn’t necessarily make for success and wins. Clyde Drexler at Houston. Patrick Ewing at Georgetown. These are even bigger stars, closer to their college and pro success sitting in the HC position and only lasting a couple of years.

I think Miller is a GREAT basketball mind. That’s not the same as being a coach or even an assistant. I’d hate to see what happened to Detmer at BYU happen at Utah to one of our most GOAT basketball alums.

Better to let this Smith thing play out which probably ends with a new coaching search next March. I hope for better, but the tea leaves ain’t looking so good.

Charlie
        Participant

First, Andre is on par with Drexler and Ewing. Next, Ewing or Drexler were head coaches, I think the rumor was Andre as an assistant which it a mountain less risk. Goodness knows how good he could be but I think he has earned the chance to try to help someone coach. Burgess seemed to earn the chance and he can’t carry Andre’s jock in any twist imaginable. Myself, I would drive up to see him help at practice.

FountainofUte
          Participant

I hear ya. My heart wants it to be a good idea, but my head sees a different picture.

You’re right. Bringing him on as an asst is different than handing the HC keys. But when comparing to Burgess, Chris has gone through the collegiate coaching system: Grad assistant, assistant at small school, moving up to P5 assistant jobs.

All of that requires recruiting and learning how the college game runs outside the lines. That’s as important as knowing how to teach a kid how to box out or bust a full-court press.

Honestly, I think bringing Miller on as an assistant would be risky and possibly stupid — particularly on Smith’s staff. Smith has no history with the guy.

Now if we somehow convince Jensen or Bryant to take the reins down the road, I could see adding Miller to the mix. Now? It feels like a desperate move that may do Andre more harm than it would the U some good.

If we bring him in, let’s not do it as a move of desperation onto a staff that’s hanging on for dear life.

Charlie
            Participant

I would say not risky. Miller was like Jensen, one of the few that Rick would discuss what to do during a game with in a sticky situation. If Rick had that level of trust, well he would be an excellent judge of BB IQ that is not well measured from the fan’s seats. Next, Miller has NBA recognition unlike all these other guys. What guard would not like to learn from the all time NBA assist leader? Where is something like that even possible? May want to check the list of greats that never caught him. This would be the least act of desperation done in many, many years.

D T
      Participant

Checking on X, our new assistant coach is putting out offers at every turn, including a few players in his hometown of Oakland.

Good to see some effort showing that we’re at least trying.

highlandute7
      Participant

Saw on utahmbb IG account that Ezra is signed.

AZUTE
        Participant

Post was almost immediately removed.

highlandute7
          Participant

Interesting. Someone hit the post button a little early it seems.

WasatchRanger
            Participant

247 even had an article out about that is that is no longer available…..hopefully it’s just a timing issue? He hasn’t said anything on his social media.

NarfUte
              Participant

The men’s basketball Facebook page still has an announcement he signed… looks like he has but wants to announce himself first

JBx2034

247 now shows that he committed to Utah on May 28. Just scroll down a bit to the timeline view on the original link to the crystal ball. Utah seems to take forever on these announcements.

WasatchRanger
        Participant

Even the Pac-12 has announced it at this point! Surprised there isn’t something on his social media.

P-12

JBx2034

Wait, Craig Smith is giving press releases to the PAC 12? He obviously spoke to someone in the PAC 12 as there is a full paragraph quote in that article from Smith.

Meanwhile the BIG 12 and the Utah fans get the silent treatment?

I just don’t understand the logic.

???

NarfUte
            Participant

That’s the article that Utah Athletics posted, the PAC-12 website just regurgitates it and it wasn’t deleted when the Utah Athletics article was deleted.

WasatchRanger
      Participant
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.