Harlan

Viewing 9 reply threads
      2 21

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I know I’ve ragged on the guy and you are probably tired of it. But the guy, in cahoots with President Randall, took down the P12 by thinking they could get a better TV deal for a semi-gutted league and they are now doing the same with fans of the football games.

For those of you that like him, please tell me how you justify this in your minds. I’m not looking to argue, but rather understand. I won’t even reply unless you ask me a question….

2 12

Gugstanley
      Ute Fan
      @gugstanley

I am with you on this one. Those two idiots seemed to have a hand in the PAC falling apart.

1 11

UteManX
      Ute Fan
      @utemanx

I agree with you. He’s done nothing.nice guy, but a place holder.Let’s be honest, he didn’t destroy the pac, but he and Randal didn’t help it. All he has done is increase prices, isolating the middle class fans. He took us from a top conference and move us lateral to an arguably worse conference that sure has better fan support for football. That’s about it. Basketball is huge there, but doesn’t make money anymore.

2 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I don’t think the B12 was a lateral move. And it’s not arguable that it’s a step down either.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

WTF?

22 1

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Yeah, it’s Harlan’s fault that the Pac-12 fell apart. It’s a bad take. Harlan has done a great job with the athletic program. Nearly every program is improving. Skiing has won a bunch of Natty’s, football has two Pac 12 championships, basketball is improving, women’s ball is great, and many Olympic sports are strong. Also, NIL is doing well considering we are Utah.

So other than the screw up with the pac12 media valuation, what is your justification for your take that Harlan’s done a bad job? because honestly, I can’t figure out a justification for it.

Kellso
        Ute Fan
        @kellso

Make no mistake, USC killed the P12. There is no one else to blame. 50 million was a starting point for negotiations. You would have to be stupid to take the first offer. Hindsight is 20/20.

NashvilleUte
          Ute Fan
          @nashvilleute05

USC put three bullets in the Pac12 before the media nonsense even began.

1) refusing ESPN’s offer to take over the Pac12 network
          2) killing the proposal to expand and gut the Big12 after Texas and Oklahoma announced their move to the SEC
          3) then leaving for the B1G themselves

There’s a ton of blame to spread around regarding the Pac12’s collapse, but no one has even close to the amount of blame that USC does.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

And Oregon State. The PAC-12 wanted to get rid of Larry Scott and Oregon State was the remaining holdover that led to a few more years of him being the commissioner.

1 10

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

I’m only responding because you asked…

First, I didn’t say he did a bad job. But he and Randall DID IN FACT sway the other presidents to turn down ESPN’s deal. That is documented. Sure USC and UCLA leaving hurt the deal and hurt the conference. BUT the conference was still intact until THESE TWO talked the others into turning down the deal.

For those saying he saved us is moronic. HE and Randall put us in the position to where we needed to be saved. The B12 is not even likely to exist in 4 years, so it’s a band aid at best. now had we landed in the B10, I would be singing a different tune.

Also, don’t give me this BS about how are programs are excelling. They were before he got here. IMHO he has essentially done nothing, good or bad, but what he had to do…. w the exception of the media deal.

enigami344
      Ute Fan
      @enigami344

Dude if you think Harlan and Randall took down the Pac you think too highly of them. They saved Utah’s athletics program by finding the best landing spot available. We could have been in worse situation like Washington State and Oregon State. Larry Scott put Pac 12 on deathbed, George Kliavkoff failed to save it and USC put the nails in the coffin.

UteNamedOg
      Ute Fan
      @utenamedog

Larry Scott deserves most of the blame by gambling on the PAC12 network; the big matchups between Oregon/USC, Stanford/UCLA, etc. seemed to fade into the “P12 After Dark” background, and the conference as a whole lacked any consistent national contenders, whereas other conferences were perennially represented within the CFP.

I personally think that Harlan would recognize that impending media deals from other conferences would dwarf the proposals on the table at the time- jumping at higher payouts wasn’t driven by greed, but knowing that taking less would continue the downward march and widen the gap between the P12 and other conferences. What do you think?

SoUtahUte
        Ute Fan
        @soutahute

I’m sorry but none of you know the true story about what transpired with the loss of the PAC 12 and what was going on in those mtgs. Just get over it and know that President Randall was much closer to a hero than a goat. Get over it, grow up and support our teams. Go Utes!

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

Share? If what you say is true, you obviously know something, so share.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

You may be right. That is a good perspective. I hope you are.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

The PAC 12 was grossly mismanaged by the Presidents of the member institutions for years. They are the ones who enabled Larry Scott to lead the conference over the cliff to its death fall. Lots of blame to go around but it all has to start at the top with the Presidents who Larry Scott reported to.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Larry Scott was the commissioner of the PAC 12 for over 12 years. Over 12 years!!! No one anywhere is able to last so long in any leadership position unless he/she has top cover at the highest levels.

You’re right. The PAC presidents should have been the adults in the room but they took their hands off the steering wheel and let Scott do whatever he wanted.

8 10

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Elitist west coast liberals killed the pac12

Kellso
        Ute Fan
        @kellso

Don’t ever bring politics into this site. It’s about the Utes sport programs. This is not the place.

3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Pedro, I respect your opinion on this matter. However, I don’t completely agree and apparently, many others also don’t agree. But, no hate from me because you have a different opinion. I appreciate you having the guts to post something you feel that may go against the majority on this board.

Keep posting.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

No worries Proud. You and I often see things the same, but at times don’t. It doesn’t bother me when others disagree. Take care

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Harlan