I don’t know what I’m talking about…

Viewing 5 reply threads

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

But can someone please explain to me why Utah hasn’t offered Carsen Ryan? He’s a 4 star TE out of Timpview for the class of 2022. He’s already got 16 offers with BYU and Utah State as well as a couple of Blue Bloods offering him. I know TE is a major need right now, especially with Brant Kuithe and Cole Fotherigham both likely to play in the NFL in the next year or 2. Does anyone know why Utah hasn’t offered this kid?

Link to his 247sports profile:

Carsen Ryan

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Gooooood question!  I too would like to know the answer to this one!

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Agreed, this makes no sense! With Freddie Whittingham being the former HC at Timpview, wouldn’t he have a strong connection to Carsen Ryan?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I thought Carey Whittingham coached Timpview?

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

My bad, you’re right. But even so, I thought we had the “Whittingham” connection to Timpview?

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Sounds like a question for OnlyU.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

We have Thomas Yassmin (SO) waiting in the wings.  We also just picked up Dalton Kincaid, a San Diego transfer, last week.  He was a pre-season FCS All-American this year.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t go after Carsen, but maybe it’s not that pressing of a need right now?  

Bio

Also, by my count, it looks like we have 8 TE’s on the roster as of right now.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

That’s the reason why I was surprised that we’d offered Kincaid.  We’re not really pressed for bodies at that position.  However, Ryan is a different story, as he won’t be expected to be on campus until NEXT year, and we could redshirt him until 2022 — by which time we won’t be as stacked at that position as we are now.

I hope we at LEAST have him on our radar.

UtahMan17
      Ute Fan
      @utahman17

I think one hold up on Ryan is that he is a tweener- not quite big/long enough to be an impact blocking TE like Cole or Thedford and not fast or athletic enough to be a move TE like Kuithe or Kincaid (or O’Toole). I think the Utah staff just doesn’t see him fitting the specific roles they have for their TEs in Ludwigs offense. They’ve known about him for years, the staff has kept very close watch on him so they surely would’ve offered a long time ago if they felt he is what they’re looking for.

Not saying they’re necessarily correct, but that is likely their reasoning for holding off on the offer for so long.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

You’re right…sorry it took so long to chime in on this one. Not a the right fit…He just projects too big to be a receiving tight end in the mold that Ludwig is looking for. He’s worked his butt off to get better but he’s just not the right mold they’re trying to bring in. Take a look at Kuithe and even the O’Toole kid and you get an idea of the type of player they want moving forward.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I don’t know what I’m talking about…