I want WRs that can catch passes and get open

Viewing 8 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I don’t care about measurables. I don’t care about potential. I would rather have the JC WR that produced well than the 4 star recruit that is transferring from a big-time program because of lack of PT. Of course.

We need WRs that can catch a football. Our last WR transfers (and so many Ute WRs before them) could not do this.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I look back at the WRs we had on the ’08 team. I would kill to have that crew today. How did we go from that to what we have had here the past few years?

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

It can’t be a coincidence that the bulk of the receivers Utah has brought in have underperformed while lesser rated recruits at a school like WSU continually overperform. Until the offensive scheme values them as something more than downfield blockers and last resort passing options, it really doesn’t matter who you bring in.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Felt like WR got open this season and I also felt like they could catch passes better than they had in the past.

The problem with the offense this year was clearly the QB inability to see the field. The second issue was the drop off in the run game.

I also don’t think the oline finished out grading well. I didn’t bother to check for this comment but that is my presumption.

WR usually is always my first concern. But for 2024 it is like fourth.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I don’t disagree at all. When I said, “our last WR’s” I was referring to the most recent transfers to Utah (Pittman and more specifically Simmons).

I agree with 2008 that it can’t be a coincidence. Catching a ball is a funny thing. If you know the ball is coming to you, and you are calm, it isn’t hard to catch something. If you aren’t expecting it, or you are nervous for some reason, it becomes incredibly difficult to do that while also having to worry about everything else.

How do you fix this? By throwing them the ball in difficult situations until they get used to it. It is kind of like shooting a free throw in basketball. I would be willing to bet that almost any NBA player can make at least 80% of their free throws in practice, but when it comes time to do it in a game, something so simple suddenly becomes complicated and your muscle memory goes down the drain.

That is a hard thing to do, especially in our offense because with the amount of times we run the ball, there just aren’t enough touches to go around for guys to overcome their nerves.

Guys that are proven producers at a lower collegiate level don’t typically have this problem. They have confidence in their ability to catch a football.

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

hello, I have been waiting for this fir he past 12 years.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

The perfect storm at WR. Coaching philosophy (run first don’t turn it over) scheme ( one primary receiver throw short to TE) lack of talent to overcome the other two.

Unless the philosophy changes and Whitt gives Ludwig the green light to take some shots downfield nothing will change. Tough to recruit good receivers.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315
        3 2

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

The victim reported Bridges pointed a gun at him and threatened to kill him during the April 15, 2021, incident, police said.

Is this really the type of guy we want to introduce into the locker room? That’s some straight up gangsta s**t.

Two former OU football players get probation for felony after attending prison boot camp

5 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I am really curious to read the court settlement. Seems like a sweet deal with initial charging documents saying they pistol whipped their victim.

Bridges is hard pass for me don’t care how good he is.

2 2

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Eagle, threatening to kill someone with a firearm is some serious stuff. Maybe the pros can rationalize having someone like that on a team but Utah?

Ute Dub
              Ute Fan
              @chestercopperpot

Nick Saban weighs in:

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

Some perspective is needed…Muhsin Muhammad was arrested because, by having a gun in the glove compartment in his car, he violated his probation from an earlier charge of possession of marijuana. This is essentially a victimless crime.

Now, compare that with Bridges’ transgressions, which was robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. If you can’t see the difference between the two, then I can’t help you.

Ute Dub
                  Ute Fan
                  @chestercopperpot

I’m not looking for help, certainly not from you. The reality is that there are multiple players who have come through Utah that have been in the same situation as Bridges, that Kyle Whittingham recruited.

1 2

The Miami Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @themiamiute

Oh, I think you really need help with perspective seeing as though you can’t tell the difference between types of crimes. Also, please educate me on the last Utah Utes football player that came to Utah after being charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. I’ll wait.

1 2

2008 National Champ
                      Ute Fan
                      @cptmrgn05

There sure has been a lot of speculation regarding a guy with 9 career catches in D1, even without the baggage. At least Carrington (multiple DUI’s) was a legit pro prospect who knew that he just had to keep his nose clean for ~ 6 months.

I constantly see people refer to the great culture at Utah. What does it say if you are willing to ignore felonies if you think someone might help you win a game?

Ute Dub
                      Ute Fan
                      @chestercopperpot

Oh, “charged”. Therefore, throw them away? Got it. Here’s a well documented instance of Utah coaches bringing a kid in who had served time in jail. McBride had tons of guys that had served time. They don’t think they’re throw aways, neither do I. But you do. WHAT AN AMAZING PERSPECTIVE You have!!! Please teach me.

Ute Dub
                      Ute Fan
                      @chestercopperpot

“Seems weird to me to criticize giving these troubled kids a second chance in a structured and disciplined environment to succeed. The majority have been success stories.”

2008 National Champ
                        Ute Fan
                        @cptmrgn05

gonna need a link to the study that shows a majority of kids who were convicted or pled guilty to felonies before becoming success stories when allowed to play college football

Red Rhino
      Ute Fan
      @ryanute

We should have the best RB’s knocking down the door to play in a scheme that features them. Where are all high profile RBs knocking down the door? That’s someone we should be paying top dollar for since our offense is built around the RB.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

We already got Anthony Woods. Plus, Mitchell. Also, Bernard coming back. We’re good.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I think the biggest problem last year was QB. We did not play a QB that could view multiple options, make a quick decision and throw a catchable pass… well.

Next, receivers need to gain separation better. Becoming open is not enough, the route has a window to view. Open later has diminished usefulness. Continuing to stay open beyond the window is awesome with a QB that can move with eyes downfield and make throws. We have seen several of these on other teams.

For the life of me I have never put my finger on how receivers from the Y manage to so often be so open. We even brought in their receiver coach for several years but not with the same results. They often underthrow receivers in a way that makes be believe they practice it often.

Elite pass catchers are great, something like we saw Washington doing the other night. But next steps are simply a QB hitting a receiver in a open window with a pass without great degree of difficulty. Rising will give us half of that solution. Kuithe will help with the second half, a healthy Pittman should also help. Next, a good running game makes pass defenders give much more thought to the run while defending routes.

I really think we could have Washington’s receivers but with our last years QBs and running game you would not have even noticed. All the pieces together is better than 1 all american.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I want WRs that can catch passes and get open