I will be so annoyed if this is what the CFP rankings look like tonight.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Utah at 12!?  That just makes no sense to me.  I’m obviously biased and I get that, but if Utah comes in at 12, I’d say zero shot at the CFP.
      https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-prediction-ohio-state-over-lsu-no-clemson-in-top-four/

MussMan
      Ute Fan
      @mussman

I don’t understand why Baylor is ranked where they are and so much higher than Minnesota. They’ve looked much weaker in their wins. I’m confident that Utah would absolutely roll them. They have no business being ranked as high as they are.

uteof
        Ute Fan
        @uteof

I watched part of the Baylor v. West Virginia game and was awfully glad for our offensive coordinator.  Geez, the play calling I saw was stupid. We’re fortunate to have Ludwig. 

7 2

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

I know I’ll get thumbs down from all the Utes homers/biased fanatics, but I would say we have near-0% chance of being in CFP.

salty-ute
        Ute Fan
        @salty-ute

From mostly an unbiased non-fanatical source, Utah currently has a 23% chance of making the CFP. The problem is, the selection Committee is much more biased than statistical probability.

2 1

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Agreed. Even if Utah runs the table, beats the Ducks and has a number of other ranked teams lose – I just don’t see Utah getting any higher than 6 or 7.

oc_ute
          Ute Fan
          @ocute

this comment is after the release of the poll.  i believe if both us and ducks win out, the winner of the ccg will end up 5th in the voting.  then we’ll see a bunch of banter back and forth about how the committe is biased…  quite frankly, if it’s utah in 5th, our OOC schedule was not impressive and that i can understand.  if the dux win out and the ccg, and end up 5th, let the fireworks fly.  they played auburn.

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

Actual statistical analysis would prove you wrong.

4 3

Anonymous
          Ute Fan
          @anonymous

Being wrong doesn’t bother me. Being a finance/stats person, IMO, the actual statistical analysis you referenced is BS because of context. That said, I would love to be very wrong and see our Utes be a part of CFP.

Italy88
            Ute Fan
            @itacoatiara22

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Utah makes the playoff either. Saying they have no chance is just ignorant though, as they do statistically have a chance.

Anonymous
              Ute Fan
              @anonymous

Not sure why I’m debating you, prehaps slow day. Why is it ignorant? How is my view ignorant?

I didn’t write 0%. I wrote “near-0%”. Plus, it’s my view of Utah’s probability of getting into CFP. It’s not as though I’m making a factual statement. If you also don’t think Utah will make the playoff, then what is that probability? Hence, I wrote near-0%, not 0%. Further, I just don’t think Utah will surpass any 1-loss SEC/B10 teams.

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Every time I say this, I get blasted by Ute fans.  

Anonymous
          Ute Fan
          @anonymous

Who cares what other Utes fans think? Right?

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

Huh? I care plenty about what other Ute fans think. I just don’t understand why some people feel the need to blast me just because I don’t see a scenario where Utah makes the playoff.  No sense in getting my hopes up for something that’s not going to happen.  If it does, I’ll happily eat crow.

I’m beyond ecstatic with the possibility of making and winning the Rose Bowl, that’s always been the realistic goal for our program.

Anonymous
              Ute Fan
              @anonymous

Was a joke. And, I agree with you.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

The CFP committee loves Utah for some reason.  They’ve consistently been ranked higher than the AP when the CFP rankings are released.  Don’t know if that will be the case this year, but I don’t remember any past predictions getting it right outside of who is in the top 4.  They haven’t even gotten the top 4 order right in their past predictions.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Sure is cool to be having this conversation.

Parach-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @parach-ute

Right? Remember when everyone said Utah fans were delusional when we allowed ourselves to get excited when some experts and talking heads were predicting Utah to the CFP? Turns out it wasn’t delusional at all and, unless Utah slips up, was a completely reasonable guess whether Utah makes it or not.

Parach-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @parach-ute

How so? Almost all of the teams ahead of Utah seem to have potential losses ahead.

Ohio State (Penn State, Michigan, and Big 10 Championship)

LSU (Alabama and SEC Championship)

Alabama (LSU, Auburn, and SEC Championship)

Penn State (Minnesota, Ohio State, and Big 10 Championship)

Clemson (Fighting Roscos? Have to hope they slip somehow because they will go if undefeated no matter SOS)

Georgia (Auburn and SEC Championship)

Oregon (Pac 12 Championship which may be against Utah. We want them to win out in the regular season.)

Florida (SEC Championship)

Auburn (Georgia, Alabama, and SEC Championship OUCH)

Baylor (Oklahoma, Texas (although not currently ranked should be tough), and Big 12 Championship)

Oklahoma (Baylor and Big 12 Championship)

Utah (Pac 12 Championship)

The SEC will likely get two in. Clemson is in if they go undefeated which is likely. If Clemson somehow loses then it opens up a spot for the Big 12 or Pac 12. If Clemson goes undefeated then we will need to hope for Ohio State to lose probably two games which could definitely happen given their schedule. We would also need to jump the winner of the Baylor/Oklahoma game. I’m not saying it’s likely but there is so much more football to be played and Utah’s schedule is one of the most manageble of the top 12. Let’s hope for a higher initial ranking.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

“They are here because of the loss to USC, which is arguably the best team Utah has faced.”

I’m sure they have watched a lot of Utah football.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Well, Aim for the Rose Bowl, and let the chips fall where they may. I assume the team is looking for the Rose Bowl bid first. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I will be so annoyed if this is what the CFP rankings look like tonight.