Viewing 7 reply threads

Ute family
      Ute Fan
      @jeff-forsgren

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Dammit my reply dumped.

He misses the mark on the O line. They are road graders in the run game, but were weaker in the pass wirh TT’s weird schemes.

Jaylon Johnson is a sure first-rounder who will shut down his side of the field again this year. He single-handedly stopped Oregon’s offense last year after they switched him to cover U0’s best receiver on every play.

He is right about Jav Guidry. He is a baller and will be one of the best Nickels in the nation before he leaves.

Pretty good write-up other than that.

Go Huskies. And Cougs, Beavs, Bears, and Cardinal. Keep the overrated U of Zero Ducks out of the CCG.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Interesting tone in the article. It was like talking to a guy that thinks hes a super stud but really just a regular guy.

Jaylon Johnson isn’t very good.. ok

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I call it Uncle Rico syndrome. 

Dude did have some interesting points though, I’ll give him that. 

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

“starter #1 CB J. Johnson (Cameron tells us there’s NFL interest in him, I wasn’t seeing it on his 2018 film)” 😂😂😂
      He’s continually mock drafted as a first round pick. That article was a waste of 3 minutes of my evening.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

About to post this article and comment the same thing. I think his perspective on the offense is unique because they have experienced Ludwig like us. It makes me dry up a little in throat. 

I hope Ludwig utilizes the tight ends more. They are good albeit having key drops in critical games last season. 

The Linebacker perspective is unique. I never thought Hansen was going to be a Qb or safety.  Utah tends to put talent at this position coupled with intelligent guys. It is a unique position for sure in the Utah defense. It has me worried slightly because Bernard didn’t really impress me either. 

The comments on JJ are beyond idiotic and shows he was lazy possibly because it isn’t an Oregon opponent for sure. 

9 1

Hi, I wrote this article and would be happy to discuss it.

In response to the Jaylon Johnson comment, I think some folks are reading a lot more negativity into that than I intended. I meant it literally – I haven’t seen enough film to say if he’s a sure NFL pick.

3 3

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Here’s what’s rubbing people the wrong way…

…and while what I’m about to say is harsh, I don’t mean to offend, so please don’t take it that way…

…but if you haven’t done adequate research, why are you writing an article? I studied journalism, and this is one of the first things I learned. If you don’t know the subject matter and you don’t have the time or resources to understand the key points, then it’s best to not write it.

This rubs a lot of Utah fans the wrong way because we get treated like this by journalists all the time. Utah is not a popular team nationally in the sports media world, so we’re frequently the victims of “drive-by journalism” (for example, see the ESPN article earlier in the week where they think we’re in the PAC 12 North) and we’re sensitive to it.

11 1

I did six games worth of film study on Utah, watched six of Ludwig’s games at Vanderbilt, and did a data regression on the full-game charts I assembled. I don’t understand what additional work you want me to do or what factual errors you think I’m making. If you can tell me what I got wrong I’d appreciate it.

If your comment is about an opinion I have on Jaylon Johnson, then I’ll repeat: I don’t have a negative opinion about him. I don’t have an opinion at all. I don’t have enough film to draw a conclusion.

Several people have brought up his good play against Dillon Mitchell when Oregon played at Utah. Here’s the issue: Utah didn’t make the switch to have Johnson on Mitchell until 4:37 remaining in the 3rd quarter. By my count there are only 13 passing plays (including ones that turned into scrambles) in which Johnson was covering Mitchell.

On three of those plays we got a clear look and I thought Johnson was covering him very well. On one more his coverage was solid but I think he got away with a DPI, there’s a fairly clear restriction at Mitchell’s shoulder and his feet show it.

On four more plays the progression went to the left side first, where Schooler was against Blackmon, and there was enough separation so that the throw went there – we didn’t get to see how the Mitchell-Johnson battle went and we can’t infer it because Herbert’s eyes never got there.

On five more plays the camera angle was just atrocious and we couldn’t see that battle at all.

So I agree – Johnson played a pretty solid quarter of football in coverage against Oregon’s best receiver. But I can’t say he’s a surefire NFL prospect on seeing four plays. That is literally what I meant: I don’t have enough film.

Sweetness
            Ute Fan
            @sweetness

Thanks for the write-up! Overall I was nodding my head in agreement with everything in your article, sans the jaylon Johnson take, but you’ve explained yourself and the fact that you are basing your opinion on the film you see is a perfectly good reason for your opinion. I actually really appreciate that and it’s a huge step up from the lazy journalism approach many take of just regurgitating popular opinions.

Ute fans will obviously disagree, but I appreciate someone willing to take an approach contrary to public opinion!

Really interesting take on Ludwig. I haven’t been as sold on him either, but he seemed to do a decent job with Vandy. I’m hoping his scheme fits our talent a little better than Taylor’s did. Either way I think Whitt and Harding saw the potential this offense has when it establishes a power run game and uses that to setup the pass. I’m sure that was heavily discussed throughout the hiring process, and hopefully they can keep building off the momentum we were gaining before Huntley and moss went down with injury.

Dwight89
            Ute Fan
            @jordan-buckner

Full disclosure I haven’t read your article, but it certainly seems like you did your research. My only question is this: Through six games of film you couldn’t develop an opinion of one of Utah’s best players? That’s what I couldn’t understand. Were you watching the 11 man tape or just the broadcast tape? Maybe that answers my question? 

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

The critique seems a bit unfair. Yes, a journalist should research an article, but give him a break, the guy is a OU fan/writer and wrote an article about Utah on a blog. This is not the NY Times.

And so what if he doesn’t know as much about Utah as *some* Utah fans (he probably knows as much if not more than most casual fans), he admitted as much in his article (saying he has not seen enough to opine). He researched the Utes pretty well and wrote a fairly indepth analysis, he is not claiming to know every in and out of the team.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

He is changing what he wrote. He is now claiming he hasn’t seen the film vs what he literally said “I wasn’t seeing it”. Implies he actually looked. So for me to say idiotic yeah I will retract that. Lazy?? Yes lazy because JJ is projected to be the highest drafted Ute entering the 2019 season and he is now saying he hasn’t watched his film. 

Stone
              Ute Fan
              @stone

My comment was not directed at you.

darklightning
        Ute Fan
        @darklightning

Thanks for the write up. I thought it was detailed and, for the most part, on point. I enjoyed reading it. As fans we believe we have the pieces to make a run for the P12 championship game. We are returning all conference talent at QB and RB and our defense might be the nastiest in the country. But we also realize our limiting factors will be OL depth, receiver play, and Ludwig’s ability as an OC. And I think your article summed that up. You whiffed on your assessment of Johnson, but I’ll let that slide due to the fact that he’s rarely part of the play (QBs don’t throw his direction). Hopefully we’re seeing you in Santa Clara this December!

I agree that the Utes are well situated for another Pac-12 South win, especially having done similar projects on Arizona, USC, and UCLA so far this offseason and not coming away very optimistic about their prospects (I haven’t dived into ASU yet, though I was less impressed than most of the media appears to be with Coach Edwards’ first year). It’s a bit rough that Utah gets both of its two toughest games — Washington and USC — on the road, but at least those are ones everybody knows are going to be the big determinants of how the season goes. And with the USC game, as Adam and Cameron pointed out on the podcast, it’s entirely possible they’ve fired their coach by then!

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

I hope USC hasn’t fired their coach by then. 

Grimmetal
            Ute Fan
            @grimmetal

Thanks for coming by! Not a lot of writers like to defend their points further. Obviously a few homers here and we’re all very high on our guys.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I for one think it is cool that @hythloday1 (Film reviewer at Addicted to Quack) came by to discuss. Hats off and welcome.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

This guy is a bit of a hack. He writes in to the “podcast of champions” weekly and sounds like a lunatic. I guess his name “hithloday” means “Hitler for a day”.

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

The article says the name is hythloday1 (not hitloday). I assume you are joking about the name meaning, but it doesn’t come across well and seems a bit libelous.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Not joking about the name meaning, that’s what they in the podcast and they’re pretty reliable. So go ahead and keep the down votes coming.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’m just glad he didn’t say we were in the Pac-12 north.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

TO FILM REVIEWER AT ADDICTED TO QUACK. 

I’ve lurked on that blog for a decade and it’s great stuff. Folks in the comments section too. Thanks for coming by! 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Interesting article from a Ducks writer