Is anyone else concerned that Shelley might enter the portal?

Viewing 9 reply threads
      2 2

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

He was our #2 last year and he played really well. Now he’s been dropped down to #3 below a guy who will still be on the team next year, which means he’ll most likely be a backup next year as well.

I mean, I guess if Lisk fits the system better and has outplayed Shelley in practice, he deserves the #2 spot but it sure would be nice to have them both on the roster next year.

I have the same feeling about Enis. Sure, he’s getting playing time, but that might not matter if he’s never getting thrown to. Maybe he’ll get the ball more starting next week but if not, he’s too talented to just be a body on the field.

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

Next man up

EastCoastUte
      Ute Fan
      @eastcoastute

trust in the process.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Yes on both players. 

Shelley’s experience could prove to be invaluable next year. Even if Rising beats him out, it’s rare for a QB to make it through an entire season healthy. Then again, if Lisk really is better than Shelley then I guess it doesn’t matter how much experience Shelley has.

With the trouble we’ve had recruiting WRs, we can’t afford to have one of the highest rated WR recruits we’ve ever landed decide to transfer because we don’t throw the ball to him enough. And it’s not like Enis could be called a diva for thinking he isn’t getting thrown to often enough (He’s being targeted once per game?). 

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Enis was targeted 3 times(with 3 catches). The most targets for a wr was 4 (thompson, covey, kuithe). We arent an air raid offense. I imagine the number attempts will get up to 30+ going forward. Enis will be in line for increased targets just like everyone else. Everyone worries way too much.

3 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I’d say 95% chance Shelley enters the portal. He seems to be mentally disengaged. Can’t opine on Lisk until the end of the season when we’ve seen Ludwig’s entire playbook.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

You guys realize through 3 games Utah has run about 6 different plays right?

Ludwig is probably barely on page two of the playbook.

The whole idea was to win these games showing as little as possible.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

No, Shelley knew he was going to be the two coming into the season.  I still have little doubt that if something were to happen to Tyler in a real game Jason would run into the huddle.  Or, Rising is looking so good in practice that the writing is on the wall and Shelley will be QB1 at Utah State next season anyway.

People get on here and bitch about better recruiting.  Here is the thing, kids transfer from good programs because there are better players on the roster or the replacement is being recruited right now.  As for Enis, get some seperation and distinguish yourself, he has played as many snaps as Thompson and Dixon, who has distinguished themself on the field?  He has more touches than BT.  Altering the offense (that is running like a well oiled machine) to placate a sophomore reciever?  Nah.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I am concerned any player at any time may enter the portal. It is just like your job there are always guys who seek greener grass.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

He’s either going to switch positions, or enter the portal in my opinion. He’ll probably wait until after spring ball.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I think we were going to lose him anyway.  Should Rising win the starting job next Spring, Shelley would transfer even if he WERE to win the #2 job.  He’s too talented to sit at #2 as a Junior or a Senior.  As is Rising.  And even IF Lisk IS better than Shelley, he’s not going anywhere.  He’s “home-grown”, and FBS programs typically don’t look for inexperienced upper classmen to stand under Center.

I hope we can keep Shelley, but I’m not counting on it.  Shelley would likely transfer to a MWC, AAC, or C-USA team.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is anyone else concerned that Shelley might enter the portal?