Is this the year we want to go to the Rose Bowl?

Viewing 9 reply threads
      4 4

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I know we control our own destiny.  If we win the rest of our games and then again in Vegas – we would go to the Rose Bowl.  However, is this the year we want this to happen?  When we go to the Rose Bowl – I want to be a top team playing a top team.

I am going to take the rest of this season – one game at a time.  I am no longer looking at the season as a whole.  This team has some great players, but we are not a top team nationally IMO.  I will just enjoy each game for what it is.  If we lose – I am not going to be upset that we missed our chance at the Rose Bowl.

In the years to come – there is potential for this team.  We have a good young QB with five 4 star QBs in the QB room next year.  We have a couple of good RBs with a future that looks promising.  Our Oline is mostly young.  On defense, we should be healthy at DB next year with some good experience.  We have top recruits waiting at LB.  Oddly, the thing that concerns me most is our Dline.  But, I gotta believe KW and Scalley will get that fixed.

So, I will watch the remainder of this season – not overly worried about wins and losses, but more about the future.  Sure, I want to win, but I am not too worried about our record this season and I am not worried if we make the Rose Bowl this season.  I really don’t think we are a Rose Bowl caliber team right now.

Go Utes!

11 4

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Lol we are not going to the Rose Bowl this year. And if by some miracle we did, I would not think highly of our chances. We are 1-3 against top 25-ish teams thus far. Not a good track record. 

24 2

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Why would anyone not want to go to the Rose Bowl every year, no matter what? This is dumb.

3 3

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

There are as many opinions as there are sentient minds. The post explains why he would not want the Utes to go to the Rose Bowl. Not sure you should be calling the person dumb.

Italy88
          Ute Fan
          @itacoatiara22

Check your reading comprehension. Never called anyone dumb. Just pointed out that the opinion to not want to got to the Rose Bowl is dumb.

1 3

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Semantics

Italy88
              Ute Fan
              @itacoatiara22

Actually no, it isn’t semantics. Quite a few smart people out there with dumb ideas. I never called him dumb, just the idea that we wouldn’t want to go to the Rose Bowl.

dystopiamembrane
                Ute Fan
                @dystopiamembrane

I accept your explanation. Thank you for clarifying. My father called me dumb my entire youth period. Kneejerk, I guess. Apologies.

Italy88
                  Ute Fan
                  @itacoatiara22

No need to apologize! What matters is that we are all cheering for the same team.

dystopiamembrane
                    Ute Fan
                    @dystopiamembrane

Although we cheer for the same team, I’d ask that you think before using words like “dumb”. I understand that you were not intending to deride the person, but by deriding a person’s ideas, you are deriding the person. There is no need to use a term like that when you could simply state reasons why you disagree.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I think you may have missed my point or I may not have articulated the best.  My big point is that I am going to take this a game at a time.  I am not overly worried if we lose this Saturday.  If by some miracle we improve so much that by December 3rd – we were good enough to be 10-3 – I will welcome the Rose Bowl.  But, I don’t see us at that level TODAY.

6 3

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Do I want this team to go to the Rose Bowl this year? Of course! Is it going to happen? Not a chance.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Dwight89. We 100 percent can go to the rose bowl this year. Will we ? Have to win this week. And then IMO can lose one more game. ASU will not go undefeated the rest of the way. Get the championship game. Anything can happen.

1 1

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Oh i totally understand it is mathematically possible to get to the Rose Bowl based upon current standings. I’m just saying we are not nearly good enough to get there. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I want to go to the Rose Bowl as many times as possiblle. The experience for the team could be invaluable. They might not win it the first time around, but it can help in the future. 

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

If we end up being good enough to make it to the Rose Bowl, then we will be good enough to win it.  But that is a long way off.   Simply need to beat UCLA Saturday night to get back on track.

3 3

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Utah is not going to the Rose Bowl this year and I’m not confident we’ll see it in the remaing years of KW’s tenure as HC. Hope I’m wrong. As his career winds down as HC at Utah, KW has had his chances only to come up short with losses in the big games. KW looks worn out and I can only imagine the past year has been a mental drain on him. I would not be surprised if he retires in the next 1-2 years. He and his coaching staff have stepped up to the calling being the rock for the Ute players during these tough times, much bigger and more important than wins and losses of course. 

I know KW would love to end his career with a trip to the Rose Bowl. KW has been an excellent coach for Utah on so many levels much of we as fans only get a glimpse of, winning big games as the team to beat is a situation for whatever reason KW has struggled with as a head coach. 

GreatNorthernUte
        Ute Fan
        @greatnorthernute

I think Whit sees it through Rising’s career barring another injury.  This is possibly the best pure passer he has had since Brian Johnson.  I think he comes back next year reinvigorated.  He knows the window is open.

Sanders
          Ute Fan
          @sanders

I like the comparison that Cameron Rising could grow into the level of a Brian Johnson type QB. Rising isn’t going to get drafted to the NFL but he is going to get better. I hope he gets the chance to light it up against UCLA and USC this year.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Honestly Whitt has had a new fire since the SC game. And he had it the whole game. I’m not sure why people keep saying this. Maybe it’s the hair cut but he’s the same guy.

PNW Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pnwute

I don’t care how good Utah is, or how outclassed they would be in the game, if they can make the Rose Bowl I would be ecstatic and would be the first in line to buy tickets to the inevitable blowout.

Arizona has never been the the Rose Bowl in their 43 years in the conference. I has been 22 years since UCLA was there, 24 years for ASU, 56 years since OSU’s last appearance, and 62 years since Cal last made it. Saying you’d rather Utah wait until another year when they are better may take longer than you’re willing to wait.

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

If we somehow make it to the Rose Bowl, I believe it would mean we improved upon our deficiencies. IMO Utah would have to beat Oregon twice. Could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, no way I’d want to pass that up.

BoiseUTE
      Ute Fan
      @slarson150

All I can say is that is why they play the game. Utah can win any week if not why do they even show up? I really got tired of all the negative stuff in the chat on Saturday night and had to turn it off.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is this the year we want to go to the Rose Bowl?