Jayden Daniels and Recruiting

Viewing 7 reply threads

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Sucks about Jayden. Hopefully the coaches can come at him hard this next week and change his mind (more likely, his mother’s mind) about ASU.

Whitt has a very unique philosophy. He doesn’t cater to the “me first” athlete. Unfortunately, alot of high profile quarterbacks have a “me first” attitude and will go where coaches tell them they will start. Whitt isn’t about that at all. This philosophy allows for gems like Cody Barton, Gianni Paul, Britain Covey, etc. to shine. Work your butt off and outplay those around you and you’ll start, regardless of your recruiting ranking.

Unfortunately, that also means we will likely lose out on recruits who think they deserve playing time cuz they were hotshots in high school. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Not saying this is necessarily the case with JD. Could be. Could also be his mom just not liking Utah for some reason. But it certainly seems it was the reason for He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named transferring. 

Utah, under Whittingham, will always find its success in the diamonds in the rough and giving everyone the opportunity to earn the starting job through hard work and effort. 

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

Isn’t this all speculation? I have yet to see a commitment announcement from him. 

9 4

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Yeah, this is the Holiday Bowl crap all over again. People need to chill out. 

7 1

Anonymous
          Inactive

It’s fine. We’ll be fine whatever happens. 

Also, let’s not pretend the Holiday Bowl wanted us. They took us and I’m as elated as anyone, but it took a full court press by our AD and conference (they owed us) to get it done. 

Lets just see with clear eyes. 

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

Agreed that it will be fine. We have two solid QBs on the roster next year with starting experience, and we will have Shelley beyond that. Imagine the meltdown if Tuttle had not signed with us … yet he did not even play a down (because he could not beat out the QBs ahead of him). JD may be amazing, and of course I would love to see all good players sign with Utah, but we have no idea how well he will do at this level. There will be other options when needed – they may not be as good as JD, but they may be better. Just speculation at this point.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

Crystal ball no longer has Utah as the leader, plus talk on Twitter is saying Daniels to ASU is almost a done deal. So yes it is speculation but usually where there’s smoke, there’s fire. I’d bet he’s not coming.

TheOldContemptibles
      Ute Fan
      @theoldcontemptibles

I’m ok with this philosophy. It’s served us well to this point.

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

Good reminder as to why you always need a back up plan. Will be interesting to see what the coaches have in their hip pocket.

alharmon
        @alharmon

Probably some JC transfer guy 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

People were saying that he was almost a sure Ute commit, but that his mom wasn’t on board and ASU was a compromise.  Personally I can’t imagine pushing my son toward the party school, but maybe she has some other issue.

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

Easier drive to his games.

snafu
      Ute Fan
      @snafu

I don’t give a rip. A year ago Tuttle was the savior of the program. We will find someone else. 

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

Maybe that “someone else” could have been a kid who grew up a Utah fan and dreamed of being a Ute. If only that kid existed…

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

We can only hope a transfer is on the horizon for him.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

We could always send him on a Max Hall mission for 4 months, and transfer back home to the U.

uteman12
      Ute Fan
      @uteman12

I just hope we can retain his standout wide receiver Daren Jones. He will be a big contributor I feel like early on.

alharmon
        @alharmon

If ASU steals Darren Jones my hate for them will forever by incurable.

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

My hate is already incurable.  I do really like Herm though, but I will never like ASU.

Distantute
            Ute Fan
            @distantute

Not having a qb two years in a row could be devastating.  

Anonymous
              Inactive

We’ll bring in a QB. I’m sure there’s a plan B. 

Dante Guardi
      Ute Fan
      @danteg12

I woke up this morning to see that the crystal ball prediction on 247 had ASU as the front runner for Jayden Daniels. I have yet to see any interview or anything where he says ASU is the front runner. I understand that he had high praise for ASU after his visit there but that was like 3 weeks ago, can someone explain to me why his crystal ball is changing now all of the sudden instead of right after he took his visit to ASU AND he spoke about it!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jayden Daniels and Recruiting