Just curious on something

Viewing 8 reply threads
      8 4

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Do we make the playoff with 12-1. Championship is against Oregon, Florida goes like 7-5 or 6-6. Ohio state and Alabama unbeaten and Georgia’s lone loss is in the sec title game. Michigan also has one loss to Ohio state but wins every other game. Miami or Clemson win the ACC with 2 losses and the big xii champ has 2 losses. Notre dame has 2 losses as well.

In my mind, Georgia, bama and Ohio state would be in. The last spot would be between Michigan and Utah IMO

Downvote for Michigan and upvote for Utah.

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

I know it’s been just 1 week but I wonder what the perception on this loss will be down the line if we somehow win out

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

The perception of this loss going forward is mainly on the shoulders of Anthony Richardson. If he balls out and Florida punches above its weight, it will be a ” good loss” 🙄

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

The perception of this loss going forward is mainly on the shoulders of Anthony Richardson. If he balls out and Florida punches above its weight, it will be a ” good loss” 🙄

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

I personally picked Michigan even though Utah would be a league champ. The loss to Florida isn’t as good as a loss on the road to Ohio state

4 9

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

IDGAF if we make the playoff or not. If we do we will get absolutely annihilated. 

we are a well coached team with high end 2nd tier talent. We are not an elite team, and never will be. I have no interest in seeing our team get s**t on by teams that aren’t on a level playing field with our team.

ALUF
        Ute Fan
        @dbgii77

Ok, I do care and the team cares (one of their goals). It’s the reason why any p5 team plays. To make the cfp. I do get your sentiments as we didn’t look elite Saturday but I like these hypotheticals and was curious if any other Ute fans cared. I know some Ute fans would rather make the rose bowl again and try and win that instead of getting into the cfp. Making the cfp is a bigger deal than any other bowl game now.

Also for context, I grew up a big Ohio state fan in a little Midwest town and the rose bowl was everything for a long time. It’s still a big deal but most people back there (and everywhere) would rather lose in the cfp than win any ny6 bowl. I compare to would you rather win the NIT or lose in the first round of the ncaa tournament. I’d take the big dance.

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

+1. Hypothetically, I’d rather be the #4 CFP seed and get crushed than win the Rose Bowl. This doesn’t mean I don’t value a RB victory, but in the current setup I’d take the CFP.

SOWhat
        Ute Fan
        @sowhat

Ok. Don’t watch. With that attitude you won’t de missed.

2 1

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Lol… what attitude? I have no issues with the Utes or anyone involved with the team. Not complaining, just saying I don’t have a desire to watch them get crushed in the playoff. I’m not claiming that is the best opinion, it’s just how I feel.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

If we win out, and Florida has a good year. We absolutely have a chance to make the playoff.

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

I think so, as long as there aren’t 4 other 12-1 conference champs. We are behind anyone with the same record at this ooint unless UF is legit good.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

A lot of it will have to do w/how UF fares this year…..I’ll be watching that UK game this weekend.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

It’s way too early to say if Utah will end up putting together a 12-1 season but since you came up with the hypothetical: there are two “unwritten” rules that have come in to play over the last 8 years.,,

#1. No 1 loss conference champion has been left out of the playoff (2104 exception to be addressed later).
      #2. Early losses are less of a detriment than late losses

2014 exception: 12-1 Ohio State, 11-1 Baylor, 11-1 TCU. Baylor was Big 12 champ but lost by two TD’s to a .500 West Virginia. TCU only loss was by 3 on the road to Baylor. Ohio State undefeated in conference and shellacked Wisconsin in CCG while Big 12 did not play one. Committee used CCG as tie-breaker. Agree/disagree up to you but it fits under rule 1.

2016 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama and 2021 Georgia got in as 1 loss teams w/out winning their CCG because there weren’t enough 1 loss CCG winners to field the 4.

So to your hypothetical, 1 loss Utah would get in over 1 loss non-champ Michigan. Early loss (on road, by 3 points, against P5) and CCG would supersede the Michigan loss to Ohio State. Committee and playoff are owned by ESPN which should still be in contract negotiations with the Pac-12 at the time of the decision. Potential backlash would be too much to ignore and you would hear a lot of pretzel logic but I have no doubt that Utah would get the invite in your hypothetical.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

If Michigan beats Ohio state and that’s their only loss this season I could see the four being bama, Georgia, Ohio state and Michigan.

I don’t think Michigan will beat them, or win the conference championship, but just a hypothetical

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

This is a tough one, but I still think a 1-loss P5 conference champ will get a nod over UM in this scenario. Moot point though, tOSU is going to annihilate UM this year.

fosternano
            Ute Fan
            @fosternano

I agree, it’s at Ohio state, Michigan doesn’t have an ace of a qb and Ohio state will be player with a chip on their shoulder after last year. I’m guessing it’ll be a 2-3 touchdown win at least for Ohio state.

radioUte
      Ute Fan
      @radioute

Unfortunately, Oregon ruined those chances for any P12 team on Saturday.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Just curious on something