KW’s pac-12 record is as follows:

2011: 4-5

2012: 3-6 (yikes)

2013: 2-7 (double yikes)

2014: 5-4

2015: 6-3

2016: 5-4

2017: 5-4 (likely) 

No question that Kyle has had some success, and did a great job for us while in the MWC. But if winning Pac12 championships and national championships are the goal (and they are), are we sure he’s the right guy for the job? 

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Who are you going to replace him with??? Let’s hear who you can get to do a better job. We’re all ears.

1 6

utahsportsguy
        Ute Fan
        @utahsportsguy

Chip Kelly?

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

You can get Chip Kelly to come to Utah and recruit to Utah? “Let’s hear who you CAN GET”

utahsportsguy
            Ute Fan
            @utahsportsguy

That’s not my job. If he’s available, and we can pay him, why not? 

2 1

gUrthBrooks
              Ute Fan
              @hammer

Probably because he’s waiting for jobs like USC or other top tier.

utahsportsguy
                Ute Fan
                @utahsportsguy

Why can’t we make Utah a ‘top tier’ program?

gUrthBrooks
                  Ute Fan
                  @hammer

Open your eyes, Kyle is doing it, this is the most talent Utah has had on paper, I follow the recruiting cites, it’s only going to get better,but it’s very young this year,having lost 15 guys to the mother f**ing NFL. 2 losses by 4 points and you’re to pull a BYU and start making knee jerk reactions…Also, Utah has the toughest schedule in the PAC 12 this year.

1 10

utahsportsguy
                    Ute Fan
                    @utahsportsguy

1) It’s factually not true that Utah has the toughest schedule in the league this year. You can see that here http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/2017-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-espn-fpi/

2) What does ‘Kyle is doing it’ mean? What exactly is he doing?  All I can see him doing is not getting us to the pac12 title games. 

3) Yes, we’re young, and the talent level is getting better. But the fact remains – we’re not winning. And that is inarguably what his job is. 

RedRocks
                      Ute Fan
                      @hypodactylus

Not winning? Seriously? I think, for your own sake, you need to adjust your expectations a bit… 

Utah is a unique(mostly in a weird way) place and it is NOT a destination for most people (outside of the natural wonders, of course).  Whit and company are able to get better recruits here because they win and because of the PAC-12 affiliation, in spite of the fact that this is Utah. 

There are many good things about Utah, but let’s be honest, we are not very high on too many destination lists for those who like the spotlight.

noneyadb
                      Ute Fan
                      @noneyadb

Quoting an article using ESPN FPI, There’s one of your first mistakes. 

noneyadb
                      Ute Fan
                      @noneyadb

Out of 64 P5 teams how many have 3 or more consecutive 9+ winning seasons in the last decade?

1 1

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

If not him, who?

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Maybe, maybe not, but I’m all for giving Whitt whatever time allotment he wants…

Anonymous
      Inactive

It isn’t easy or quick to rebuild a G5 program into a legitimate P5 program. It can’t be done in a couple of years. We are just now seeing the depth take hold. Remember also how young this team is. He’s building something to last beyond his tenure as HC.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Completely agree Igloo…depth is really developing and in the last couple of years we’ve gone head to head with the major programs on a number of 4 star guys and won.  We’re not pulling the 5 star guy but not sure that ever happens much.  This wasn’t the case the first few years where we had the attention of a few high priority guys but really didn’t pull many.  Major difference in talent and depth with this team vs. the first 3 years.  It’s has also been said a few times on this board that the 2 years after this season should/could be the best teams ever produced at the U.  I am in that camp without question.  

Sportsguy if we still have questions about the quality of our head coach or staff after that stretch then you’ll have a leg to stand on…winning record the last 3 and you’re projecting this as the 4th year in a row in the Pac12.  This should be followed by two really exciting, potential cconference championship years so I think you might be a little premature…we’ll see.  

utahsportsguy
          Ute Fan
          @utahsportsguy

i think the staff is betting on 2018, no question.

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

You realize he coaches at Utah, correct?  He has done more with less his whole career and still has fans that don’t appreciate how good he has been.  He has had two recruiting classes in the top 40(if we could get top 5 classes I would understand your frustration).

Nationally, Utah isn’t considered a top program and yet he has been able to get us national respect and we were ranked as high as #3 2 years ago.  Look at BYU.  The fans get what they want and run Bronco out of town and he is now winning at Virginia who has been garbage for years.  And now BYU can’t beat anybody.

I feel it would be a huge mistake to try and replace him. 

utahsportsguy
        Ute Fan
        @utahsportsguy

I mean if 8-4 and the Vegas bowl is your slice of heaven, I guess this works. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

Look around the league. How many teams can maintain success? Already Utah has supplanted all the other teams in the South to rival everyone’s top dog. It’s happening. Utah is going to be competing for the South every year. We just haven’t yet broken through. As an example, look at our QB situation for next year. A Jr dual starter, a RS Fr dual back up, and a Fr pro style. All highly rated. We’ve never had that kind of depth or versatility.

utahsportsguy
            Ute Fan
            @utahsportsguy

As discussed above, depth is becoming less of an issue. The only thing that remains is the fact that we don’t win enough to get into championship games. Alabama wins. Ohio State wins. Even Washington is putting together a more consistent, winning program. 

Anonymous
              Inactive

Dude, apples and oranges. When have we ever had the program cache or money to rival past national champions? Patience. I think Kyle will win a national championship before he is done.

utahsportsguy
                Ute Fan
                @utahsportsguy

ok, but how long are we supposed to be patient? At what point does so much non-winning irreparably damage our brand for recruits and future coaches?

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

Whoa…let’s not get crazy Igloo LOL.  I guess we can dream!  I’ll tell you this – if he were able to get into the playoff at some point I wouldn’t put it past him to win the damn thing…pretty big if though.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

I have seen, in my lifetime, accomplishments I never thought possible. I sat through the 70’s, the era of zoob domination. I reassured myself that all was well, after all, we’re a basketball school. Kyle doesn’t say so publicly, but I know his goal is to win it all. Who am I to doubt him? I’ve witnessed the impossible happen.

Hellhound152
                    Ute Fan
                    @hellhound152

The idea that Whitt has platueued is insane. 

I am of the mind that the Utes are still in the growing phase.  The facts are that the Utes started this Pac12 journey substantially behind all of the other teams in the conference financially and with recruits.  Even CU had been a member of a power league (the Big8 and Big 12) since 1947 and has won a National Championship and joined as a full financial member.

Now here we are 6 years later, p**sed off that we lost to USC by a point at the Coliseum a year after putting more players in the league than we ever have by a large number.  The Utes have the 2nd most total wins of any team in the PAC12 since 2014.  Recruiting has reached unprecidented heights and this year the Utes will sign another top 30 or 25 class.  Doing it the right way. (Uhm Chip Kelly and Willy Lyles)

Jon Wilner in his infinite wisdom said that the Utes would not be competitive for a decade and not reach a Rosebowl for 20 years if ever.  The Utes have exceeded everyone’s expectations except ours.

I for one love the trajectory of the program, how our team is built, and believe that a knee jerk reaction would destroy what has been built.  Ask fans at Nebraska, Texas, and a host of others how replacing successful coaches played out.    

SGUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @sgute

Very well said Hellhound, thank you!!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Whitt will leave on whatever terms he wants IMO.  Seeing Gary Anderson flake out like that is a scary thought. Many boosters wanted him to replace Whitt. 

The only replacement for me is Dan Mullen who Utah can’t afford. 

You have to snag an up and comer somehow.  Look at the Cal hire things are looking great for them now. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Wow. Dan Mullen makes $4.8M per year now.   Crazy.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Dan Mullen in the PAC???  Oh man maybe he takes a pay cut to get around the Machine in Bama. 

quagmire
        Ute Fan
        @quagmire

i think Utah’s future head coach is already on the staff. Either Troy Taylor, if he succeeds as oc, or Morgan scalley. 

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

I remember when I wanted Sloan replaced. 

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

KWhitt’s our man and we are fortunate to have him.

You need only look 40 miles south to see what happens when you run a good coach out of town.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Is this PK from 1280?

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Hey I’ll take a winning record in a P5 conference.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

If he can manage to resist the urge to fire the OC and start with a new system and new OC next year then 2018 is looking good. We aren’t going to win s**t until we have some consistency on the offensive side of things. Consistency off the field will lead to more on the field and a better red zone showing. The answer isn’t to fire, hire, rinse and repeat. I think KW is phenomenal coaching and developing kids. P**s poor at managing his personnel.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

Yes, KWhitt is the right man for the job. He’s in it for the long haul and he’s made changes in the last couple years that have lined us up for serious success.

Been there for 2 undeafeated seasons is more than how many coaches can say?
      This year we’d have shocked everyone if it weren’t for a Starting QB injury…again how many Pac-12 teams maintain if their star goes down?
      Has consistently over performed with 2-3* recruits against teams who are fielding 4-5*s.

This isn’t red goggles. This is reality. We are not now, nor will we ever be Alabama, USC, Michigan, Florida, or ND. We are consistently a top 25 team…and that’s way above our market value. We bring in kids who make it to the NFL, keep us competitive, teams worry when they have to play us. We have beaten Michigan 3 straight, we’ve split the last 4 with USC. We aren’t sucking. We do have the very normal ups and downs of a team that isn’t one of the top 5 markets.

Even if we got a dream hire to replace Whitt, we’d only keep them for a year or two and then we’d be back on the coaching carousel and that is why places like ASU, WSU, etc struggle.

No thanks. I”ll rant when we do something stupid. I’ll rant when we’re too conservative. I’ll rant when we lose. But I think it’s mental to claim Whitt is sub par, or that we’ve got any reasonable chance of a long term upgrade. HE’s an amazing deal for what we get him for and he’s going to see us have continued success.

Depth is about recruiting but it’s also about reality. Utah can get more depth, but we won’t ever have USCs depth. And a key injury can wreck any team. We just had one. Sucks to be us. But if Huntley is healthy next year watch and see. Winning out is part coaching, part talent, and a HUGE part luck. This year we really lined up the first two and lost out on the third. Next year…with luck, its going to be much better.

So again…Hell yes Whitt is the right man for the job.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

@utahsportsguy

Since the formation of the Pac-12, go look at the other teams and count how many have had 3 consecutive winning conference records.

Now count how many have had 4, like you’ve predicted.

Now ask if he’s the right guy for the job and wash it down with a tall glass of bleach.

utahsportsguy
        Ute Fan
        @utahsportsguy

Pac12 championships OR National ‘chips > winning records.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Cam you get either with losing records?

Mano
      Ute Fan
      @mano

I recall people clamoring for Gary Anderson and Sitake as replacements for Whitt the past few years, how is that looking now?
      Thinking Utah can easily get someone better to replace Whitt is silly. I love the Utes trajectory, I expect some big things in the next few years now that they seem to have an offense they will stick with ( I hope ), and will have Huntley as an upperclassman followed by the Tuttle era.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football KW's pac12 record